Author Topic: 'A Celebration (Live)' - Mistake in 'The Complete U2 Encylopedia'?  (Read 784 times)

Offline Antrim Boy

• Babyface
I've been collection U2 releases for years and prior to my emigration to NZ in 2008, I had - leaving aside obscure remixes - pretty much everything* U2 released. A couple of weeks back I borrowed a copy of the 1st edition of 'The Complete U2 Encylopedia' as a sort of flick-through-at-random-when-I'm-bored book for my 24 hour return train journey from Wellington to Auckland to Wellington for the gig on 25th.

I have read the book before but not every single entry so I was suprised to find on this reading of it that I "missed" an obscure live version of 'A Celebration' that was released somewhere on a cassingle of 'Pride' back in 1984. I knew nothing about this and I can find no other source to verify this release anywhere. I suspect it's a mistake - perhaps the author mixed it up with another early single whose A-side that did appear on versions of 'Pride', namely '11 O'Clock Tick Tock' (albeit in a longer version). Anyone else spot this error? Or am I wrong and is there a live version of their one-off 1982 single as a b-side on 'Pride' somewhere?

Any thoughts on this would be welcome. I'd hate the idea of missing out on a 'new' track to collect!

* - until I had to start selling stuff as we couldn't take every U2 item with me to Aotearoa. :(

Offline two hearts

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: 'A Celebration (Live)' - Mistake in 'The Complete U2 Encylopedia'?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 03:56:48 AM »
i will reply mate i've never seen that

marvgadgie

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:43:13 AM »
I have the tape and t it is a standard UK release. It has the same 4 tracks as the normal Pride single plus A Celebration - but don't worry it's the studuio version. Will double check though ...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:06:53 AM by marvgadgie »

Offline judgesmails

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 11:56:14 AM »
I actually tracked down a copy of the cassette after reading that entry in "U2 Encyclopedia".  Unfortunately it does appear to be a mistake - the cassette contains the standard studio version.