27 (62.8%)
10 (23.3%)
Joshua Tree
3 (7%)
Bomb
3 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: December 31, 2010, 09:45:11 PM

Author Topic: Best Tour Ever  (Read 3064 times)

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
Re: Best Tour Ever
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2010, 04:48:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just don't know what is wrong with me - why don't I love Zoo TV era?  I'm not being sarcastic at all. It is a great era but I just don't love it the way most fans do. I can't figure out why though  :D Maybe  I need a therapist  :D :D :D

Awww SG there is nothing wrong with you, Zoo isn't my favorite era either, I like it and the lads were looking and sounding fine but I'm more of an Elevation/Vertigo girl.  No therapy needed.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 08:01:42 AM »
I just don't know what is wrong with me - why don't I love Zoo TV era?  I'm not being sarcastic at all. It is a great era but I just don't love it the way most fans do. I can't figure out why though  :D Maybe  I need a therapist  :D :D :D

Awww SG there is nothing wrong with you, Zoo isn't my favorite era either, I like it and the lads were looking and sounding fine but I'm more of an Elevation/Vertigo girl.  No therapy needed.

I've been thinking about this for a while, SG, and I think I might have a hunch as to why you didn't enjoy ZooTV as much as other tours...Could it be that with the exception of Zoo and PopMart (and arguably 360 to some degree), U2 has attempted to be very honest, very true to their nature, and very grounded despite their grand ambitions?  But with ZooTV and PopMart, they decided that their popularity needed a reality check to some degree and they mocked their celebrity with an ironic, self-absorbed alter-ego of a band.  The music was still there.  The performances were still there. But they weren't the 4 lads from Dublin on those tours.  They intentionally became these personas in attempt to be ironic.  I think they pulled it off beautifully but it could still be something that didn't sit well with you as much as a stripped down stage with 4 guys playing great music did.

For what it's worth, I was quite happy when the Elevation Tour started and they did a return-to-basics approach, stripped of all the irony et al.  But i'll still put my $ on ZooTV.  I will say that I was sick when they played DC in '87 and Bono broke his collarbone in the rain so I never did see the Joshua Tree tour live. I've seen countless bootlegs and the setlists were fantastic and it was a great tour.  I really wish I saw it live.

and as much as ZooTV is #1 in my book, nothing beats the red background, silhouettes of the 4 taking the stage, as Streets swells through everyone's soul.  The greatest U2 moment live in my humble opinion.

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 09:23:52 AM »

Brilliant observations, Dream Out Loud ...

I say we open a new poll: "StrongGirl doesn't like the ZooTV era... Does she need therapy?"  ;D

Let the people decide it!  :D

satellitedog01

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 02:14:37 PM »
I'd like to see the therapist's reaction when she mentions why she's there, should the demos decide she needs therapy :-)

Sorry SG, couldn't resist the thought...   }(;>)

^
                                                    This if anyone wonders, is my new MacPhisto smiley!!! :-D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:16:36 PM by satellitedog01 »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 02:42:55 PM »
My guess is that it's not really about the tours but about us.

Whichever U2 tour was new when we were in our most formative years will be the one we like the best. For me it's ZOOTV. I would be curious to know how many people out there chose ZOOTV who were in their mid to late 30s when it began.

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 10:22:07 PM »
I'd like to see the therapist's reaction when she mentions why she's there, should the demos decide she needs therapy :-)

^

:D

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2010, 06:17:55 AM »

^

>:D

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2010, 08:25:37 AM »
 :D :D :D :D  You guys crack me up. I think that thread may be needed! 

Like I always say.....to each his own U2. I fell in love with them so early on and that is what has stayed close my heart. I like that they did Pop Mart and Zoo though. I always love when artists step outside their box!  I love Gavin Friday for that.

I like your post, Dream Out Loud. I think you may have gotten that one right!