Author Topic: How Lennon and Bono Are Different (Washington Post opinion piece from Easterly)  (Read 9442 times)

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you follow development even superficially, William Easterly's name is probably familiar. He's been a harsh critic of the Jeffrey Sachs / Bono approach to poverty issues. In this opinion piece, he goes after Bono again, this time contrasting Bono's style and ethos to John Lennon.

A critic to be taken seriously, Easterly, nonetheless, presents an incomplete picture of Bono's intent and results. Nothing in here about the Jubilee efforts to eliminate debt. Nothing in here about the conversion of Jesse Helms and scores of other Republican legislators. Nothing in here about his hands-on work to influence Bush and push him and other world leaders for more.

I'm beginning to think this guy must have actual nightmares about Bono...

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
Oh for the love of god.

I don't even think I can bring myself to read this. Development economics is my field of study, so I think I've probably had enough Easterly for a lifetime. I stopped being interested pretty quickly, after I realized that only about three percent of anything I'd ever read from him contained actual constructive, useful or specific ideas regarding development. Mostly, he's just all about trying to knock people down - especially Sachs, who I presume he's offended by because Sachs spends his time trying to find ways to get stuff done.

Lol - I'm probably being a bit unfair...but grumpy old cynics like Easterly make me grumpy. I'll take Bono any day...and personally I think John Lennon would probably agree!

Offline edgetastic [Vote Zaphod]

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight
Bono has been way more effective. Just because he's not a rebel doesn't mean he isn't saving people's lives. John was an amazing musician, but he honestly didn't do much to end the war. I think it's easier to accomplish things by working with the people who can make the change.

Also, I find it funny that Bono has 80% of the votes in the pole :D.

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
Update: okay, so I read it after all, and it didn't make me as angry as I thought it would. I agreed with part of what he was saying - I think people like John Lennon, who shine the spotlight on the things they see as wrong, ARE vital. I just think he misses the point a bit about what Bono. Bono's not trying to BE another Lennon, and he's not trying to pretend to be better than Lennon. He's just trying out his own kind of activism, in a way that matches the kind of thing he's good at. And finding it to be effective in a lot of ways. Wow, what a terrible thing!  ;D

Bono has been way more effective. Just because he's not a rebel doesn't mean he isn't saving people's lives. John was an amazing musician, but he honestly didn't do much to end the war. I think it's easier to accomplish things by working with the people who can make the change.

Also, I find it funny that Bono has 80% of the votes in the pole :D.

Well said. And...there was a pole? Cool! *runs off to vote*

Offline CharityDance

• Stateless
  • ...and turn me around tonight
I saw this linked and read this on my phone, so didn't realize it was by Easterly until his name appeared at the very end, at which point I thought OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.  Until then, my reaction was well, you can't blame some aging Baby Boomer pop culture maven for wanting to hang onto a romanticized rock 'n' roll rebel myth and ignore the question of actual results.  But Easterly? Again?  I swear, the guy's modus operandi is beginning to seem like this to me:

Bush creates PEPFAR ------>attack Bono
Angelina Jolie appears in a film ---->attack Bono
Obama elected ----->attack Bono
Earthquake in Haiti ----->attack Bono
Anniversary of Lennon's death arrives ---->attack Bono

/sarcasm off, sorry

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
The reason Bono has been more effective is because he hasn't been a rebel, you can't bring down the walls of Babylon if you don't infiltrate - it's a far less romantic notion for sure, but the results speak for themselves.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
I saw this linked and read this on my phone, so didn't realize it was by Easterly until his name appeared at the very end, at which point I thought OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.  Until then, my reaction was well, you can't blame some aging Baby Boomer pop culture maven for wanting to hang onto a romanticized rock 'n' roll rebel myth and ignore the question of actual results.  But Easterly? Again?  I swear, the guy's modus operandi is beginning to seem like this to me:

Bush creates PEPFAR ------>attack Bono
Angelina Jolie appears in a film ---->attack Bono
Obama elected ----->attack Bono
Earthquake in Haiti ----->attack Bono
Anniversary of Lennon's death arrives ---->attack Bono

/sarcasm off, sorry

Well said and as a part of the second wave of "Baby Boomers."   Born between 1955 to 1964.  John Lennon did not end the Vietnam War.  We did.  Washington was scared shiteless because we were the new voting power in the "76" presidential campaign.   The hippies never had it quite right.  Hard to to get anything accomplished when you are stoned out of your mind on LSD and other chemicals.   

Flashing peace signs and picking flower petals.  Nice in a perfect world.  But, we don't live in such.  Bono has achieved more in bringing attention in his own punk sort of way.  Than any other musicisn before him.  Working class, The clash and Bowie, more our motto than "Blowing in the wind."   Bono has helped to save millions. 

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
Oh for the love of god.

I don't even think I can bring myself to read this. Development economics is my field of study, so I think I've probably had enough Easterly for a lifetime. I stopped being interested pretty quickly, after I realized that only about three percent of anything I'd ever read from him contained actual constructive, useful or specific ideas regarding development. Mostly, he's just all about trying to knock people down - especially Sachs, who I presume he's offended by because Sachs spends his time trying to find ways to get stuff done.

Lol - I'm probably being a bit unfair...but grumpy old cynics like Easterly make me grumpy. I'll take Bono any day...and personally I think John Lennon would probably agree!

I'm sure John Lennon would point out that if Bono was right, lots of people would live better lives and critics would be quiet, and if Bono is wrong lots of people will die and critics will say they told us so. He would then add "I'd rather be Bono, trying to build people up and rooting for success, than a critic, tearing them down and tooting for failure"

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
Wow, now that is what I call a bump.

Anyway, different means for different ends.

Offline Spilling Over the Brim

• Stateless
I wonder if Jeffrey Sachs and dave marsh are Bed Buddies. Wouldn't surprise me. Their obsessions with Bono/U2 reach unhealthy levels. Something tells me they've compared notes more than once. I guess one could pass it off as a case of "haters gonna hate", but there's a lot of grumpy old people who are angry U2 have not faded away over the years and they're probably worried they'll be hearing about them until the day they die. Truth hurts.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
Yoko likes Bono. That's all that matters.

surit87

Edge to Bono: "Don't you dare bring her into the studio!"

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose

lol But she'd bring flowers! (which album were they recording when they went days, weeks, without seeing women, with only manly studio men for company, so they ordered flowers?).

I remember the same said of Morleigh back in the day. And Naomi Campbell. And Adam's previous girlfriend. And the one before that And his new wife. Er, I see a trend there...

Wait, isn't Chris Martin U2's Yoko? :P
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:07:03 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
I think this track is sort of magic:

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word

lol But she'd bring flowers! (which album were they recording when they went days, weeks, without seeing women, with only manly studio men for company, so they ordered flowers?).

I remember the same said of Morleigh back in the day. And Naomi Campbell. And Adam's previous girlfriend. And the one before that And his new wife. Er, I see a trend there...

Wait, isn't Chris Martin U2's Yoko? :P

Yoko has talent. :-)