Author Topic: Favorite moments of this tour?  (Read 3656 times)

Offline trashbag

• Refugee
Favorite moments of this tour?
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »
A lot of great moments as always. Here are a few of mine:

Debut of Bad in Amsterdam
Your Blue Room in Chicago
First time they segued Amazing Grace into Where the Streets Have No Name in Chicago
North Star in Munich - Bono's reaction to the crowd singing along was just awesome
Any time they play Ultraviolet :P

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Re: Favorite moments of this tour?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 12:57:11 PM »
We can all argue about what the best moments were in terms of song debuts or crowd reactions but we all know that the BEST moment this tour was when Bono walked out onto that stage during Return of the Stingray Guitar in Turin, Italy on August 6th, 2010.  Without a doubt.  Just a month and a half before that, the man's career and even ability to walk was in jeapordy.  6 weeks or so after spinal surgery, he walks triumphantly about the stage, screams TORIINOOOOOOOOOOOO, and then gives an amazing redition of Beautiful Day.  Wow

Offline linasd

• Up With the Sun
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJ72g6fMyw
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 01:31:47 PM »
My favorite moments are the shows I attended. Most favorite was Gothenburg 1 since it wad my first U2 concert.  Paris this year was amazing.

Offline trashbag

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 01:35:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We can all argue about what the best moments were in terms of song debuts or crowd reactions but we all know that the BEST moment this tour was when Bono walked out onto that stage during Return of the Stingray Guitar in Turin, Italy on August 6th, 2010.  Without a doubt.  Just a month and a half before that, the man's career and even ability to walk was in jeapordy.  6 weeks or so after spinal surgery, he walks triumphantly about the stage, screams TORIINOOOOOOOOOOOO, and then gives an amazing redition of Beautiful Day.  Wow

I forgot about that. Add to that from the same show when he swings on the steering wheel microphone like a baboon and looks absolutely nothing like someone who just had back surgery :P

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:16:06 PM »

I forgot about that. Add to that from the same show when he swings on the steering wheel microphone like a baboon and looks absolutely nothing like someone who just had back surgery

*Tries not to be smug* :P

In all seriousness, leaving aside my obvious bias on that one, I'd cite a few in particular- two general and two personal.

1) The moment they played "One" in Amsterdam 2. Why? Because they played it sixth in the setlist and from right then, it was clear that ALL bets were off!  :D And that night went on to see Bad and UTEOTW receive tour debuts!

2) Helsinki 2 this year- "Oh, North Star's been played. Same old boring setl- hold on a minute, it's not North Star!?!? It's Every Breaking WHAT?!!"

3) Yes, the band's entry in Torino. Okay, okay, leaving bias out of it didn't last long. :p But having heard rumor that Beautiful Day was the opener, having stayed away from most spoilers, I was *STUNNED* when Space Oddity ended - early! - and this driving, INSANE guitar riff began. Now add to that the fact that we were all (in the circle) holding up our bits of paper to form a giant Irish flag... and then things erupted! People jumping up and down, paper everywhere, not even SEEING Bono until I realised he was bouncing up and down on the catwalk behind me, Edge just a few feet in front of me.... Amazing. My first experience of GA, and of an Italian crowd- and to be at THAT gig was... special.

4) Sunday Bloody Sunday in Paris. I can't even explain, it was just ELECTRIFYINGLY good for me. Bono got the entire crowd chanting "Get Up Stand Up" for the Roma just after the Roma had been essentially kicked out of France, and it felt like being part of a moment, of something special. It also felt very brave of him. I normally get very bored of this song- but it was PHENOMENAL in Paris to be there.
3)

4)

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:48:35 PM »
Love Rescue Me.

From one Sydney to another:

1) LoveTown - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2) 360 - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

They better leave this in for the US tour. Its one of my favorite songs. Even though I wasn't there, highlight of the tour so far for me, period.

However, this clearly shows that Bono just can not sing as well as he used to due to natural ageing of his voice.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 07:10:53 PM »
1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. Your Blue Room
3. Stay (acoustic)
4. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
5. Moment Of Surrender

all Toronto 1

Offline Rhythm Of My Soul

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:31:11 AM »

-When I Will Follow was played for the first time on this tour. So unexpected and awesome!! (Helsinki 2)
-Every Breaking Wave (Helsinki 2)
-Larry's Breathe intro
-Miss Sarajevo
-Unknown Caller
-Ultraviolet

= just to name a few.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:41:05 AM »
Easily the NLOTH stuff and TUF (obviously I'm really happy with how the tour has progressed)

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 12:30:23 PM »

The entire YouTube show, and the DVD that came after.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 09:10:55 PM »
Giants' Stadium II when Bono pulled a kid on stage during the intro to COBL and when it kicked in, they both ran around the catwalk. My wife and I both  :( - Great moment

Barcelona I - June 30, 2009. The band proceeds to muddle through 23 songs with lowlights including botched sample cues, Edge solos, Bono's voice ,etc...Worst I' ever heard him sound.

Offline honey_child

• Refugee
  • Speak
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 02:25:14 AM »
Sydney 2.

ALL OF IT.  ;D

Offline maymay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 02:34:13 AM »
-Every Breaking Wave (Helsinki 2)

Ditto.

It is just amazing how quiet 50 000+ people can get. I think I even forgot to breathe...

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 03:04:17 AM »
Hearing "Bad" on the first night and "Ultraviolet" on the second night in Sydney this week. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh  :) :) :) :)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »
A lot of great moments as always. Here are a few of mine:

Debut of Bad in Amsterdam
Your Blue Room in Chicago
First time they segued Amazing Grace into Where the Streets Have No Name in Chicago
North Star in Munich - Bono's reaction to the crowd singing along was just awesome
Any time they play Ultraviolet :P

This is my favorite moment and I wasnt even there. I recorded the mp3 from youtube though because I just love how Bono reacts, even just hearing him. He kind of chuckles and says, "That would be the internet." And then says a heartfelt thank you. It took my breath away. I love watching that video too because his look of surprise is priceless. Not only was his new song recognized, but the crowd was singing it back at him with joy. That's got to be a great moment for an artist. And one positive thing about all the freebies we get on the internet. We'd still buy a studio version in a heartbeat!! It's so wonderful to be able to follow the shows over the internet, tho.