Author Topic: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel  (Read 25441 times)

Smee

Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel
« on: December 18, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »
Ok....here goes...having attended the show, having watched it on DVD and having listened to bootlegs of the shows......I think i rate the 360 tour at the bottom of the pile of all tours since War. There just seems to be something missing in the performances and am not sure i can put it into words. Maybe it just lacks the magic of previous tours.
Now dont try and patronise me that i dont know what im talking about, As av been listening to the band virtually every day for the last 29 yrs. I know their music inside out and love the band as much as anyone and av seen every tour since UF.....and most importantly of all...i KNOW how i feel. So i feel i am qualified to make that call. Strange bit is, I really like NLOTH album.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 04:41:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok....here goes...having attended the show, having watched it on DVD and having listened to bootlegs of the shows......I think i rate the 360 tour at the bottom of the pile of all tours since War. There just seems to be something missing in the performances and am not sure i can put it into words. Maybe it just lacks the magic of previous tours.
Now dont try and patronise me that i dont know what im talking about, As av been listening to the band virtually every day for the last 29 yrs. I know their music inside out and love the band as much as anyone and av seen every tour since UF.....and most importantly of all...i KNOW how i feel. So i feel i am qualified to make that call. Strange bit is, I really like NLOTH album.

I haven't attended a show but I feel exactly the same way.  And I too, really like the NLOTH album.

Having seen many Rolling Stones shows of the last 20 years on video, DVD, and in person, I think that U2 have become the new Rolling Stones.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »
you guys gotta be more specific. ive only seen u2 once live (on 360), so im kinda lost here.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
you guys gotta be more specific. ive only seen u2 once live (on 360), so im kinda lost here.

It lacks SOUL.  It seems forced, when in the past U2 shows just had soul.

I think the set design lacks any real character.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 04:48:25 PM »
I like NLOTH better than the last 2 albums, but tour wise they were both better. Well, maybe with the exceptions of when they were playing rubbish like Miracle Drug or Stuck in a moment.

I know the show I saw at the Rose Bowl wasn't the worst I've seen since the War tour. It was maybe the worst ever.

Smee

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 04:50:39 PM »
Basically....Im saying that i rate the 360 tour as the poorest u2 has done since early 80's! Can i just say....I COULDNT GIVE TWO HOOTS ABOUT THE 360 SET UP...it does nothing for me. Zoo Tv was amazing, as was Popmart, the visuals added to the experience.....something i feel didnt work on 360 tour. But, the bottom line is....i go to see u2 to hear the music, if they can enhance the experience, more power to them, but ad be happy with just a performance

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 05:41:36 PM »
This is the first time since the JT Tour that I haven't switched from listening to the newest album to listening to bootlegs of the concerts as soon as I could locate them. As it is, I am listening to my NLOTH playlist all the time, and don't care that much about listening to the 360 shows.

It's weird, I can't really explain it, either. Maybe it's that I can't bear to hear another rendition of ISHF, WOWY, or Beautiful Day.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 05:43:28 PM »
I can't really say having only seen Vertigo and 360, I do think this is better than Vertigo, they have more hunger now than they did then, I find. I think the setup possibly gets in the way of performance though, I don't find it as intimate as say Elevation.

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 09:12:18 PM »
I was only able to see a single show last year; looking forward to 2 shows in Montreal next year.  Here's my take.  The stage is HUGE.  It seems incongruous with the music and the meaning.  The band is tiny, and it's different even from the huge Pop set up.  On the DVD, the camera can make it seem more appropriate with zoom-ins and cropping and whatnot.  But from my vantage point in the GA, the screens were too high to see but the band was too far away to see also.

Keep in mind, NLOTH is my least favorite U2 album.  Not sure if it's a coincidence that the tour seems to be completely separated from the music and the band.  I don't hate it, but it just doesn't work well, and U2 always does what feels right -- and we feel it.  But not this time.  I'm hoping the Montreal shows will feel better, but it won't be great.  I saw both of the last two tours and enjoyed them a heck of a lot.

My last thought.  I don't think U2 was able to really STICK either the album or the tour.  They shot for something and for once it just didn't work out.  They missed the mark.  I hope this drives them to really follow their guts next time.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 09:55:16 PM »
Basically....Im saying that i rate the 360 tour as the poorest u2 has done since early 80's! Can i just say....I COULDNT GIVE TWO HOOTS ABOUT THE 360 SET UP...it does nothing for me. Zoo Tv was amazing, as was Popmart, the visuals added to the experience.....something i feel didnt work on 360 tour. But, the bottom line is....i go to see u2 to hear the music, if they can enhance the experience, more power to them, but ad be happy with just a performance

maybe the problem is you.

#@!

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 10:06:38 PM »
A very different take:

360 DC was my third U2 concert (after Popmart DC and Elevation DC), and I thought it was easily the best. Considering that my wife and I were near the back of the stage setup (thanks to Ticketmaster's inaccurate depiction online of the stage setup, at least on the first day of u2.com's presale tickets [I hope they corrected it later]), the intimacy was astonishing and powerful. It was my wife's first U2 concert and she also felt that it was a very intimate concert.

Popmart, by contrast, was about as far from intimate as you can get. Maybe that's because a friend and I were on the back left of the stadium near the sound box, and we heard many squawks throughout the evening. Because we couldn't make out what Bono was saying, we never understood his explanation about how the previous night's rain had severely strained the "tele." Regardless, from where we were, you simply could not make out most of the visuals. I'd say over half of them appeared from that area to be vague, amorphous blobs. It was even worse when there were no visuals at all during the first encore, as from that side of the stadium, the extended stage was too far off. While it may simply have been a bad night, I've also seen many Popmart videos since then and am struck how few shots are taken from the back left of the stadiums, while there are usually quite a few from the back right (and if you were on the right side of the stadium, you were near the extended stage).

Elevation, to swing back to the opposite pole, was amazing, and the power of U2 in arenas cannot be underestimated. Still, I personally prefer stadium shows where U2 give their visual imagination full flight. And there were so many wonderful things that the Rose Bowl DVD did not pick up: the "light bulb" on top of the "spaceship" lighting up and casting light all across the stadium just as Bono sang "Your love was a lightbulb hanging over my head" in "Ultraviolet" (the timing was impeccable); the beauty of The Unforgettable Fire's space imagery; the incredibly ethereal "Your Blue Room" with the imagery of earth clearly connoting our planet as God's "blue room." There was soul in abundance.

Having said that, there were two significant negatives. First, most of the NLOTH songs were walked through (I'd say the only exceptions were a strong "Breathe" and "Moment of Surrender") and didn't stand out. I gather that by this time the band was feeling the weight of peoples' lack of love for the NLOTH songs. We didn't get "Unknown Caller" or the title track. Sadly, this had been true at DC Popmart as well. Then, only a month into the tour, "Do You Feel Loved" had already been dropped, "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" was already down to an unsatisfying two minutes, and "If God Will Send His Angels" had already been chopped by a third, with the concert version ending with the bridge. The band also then lacked conviction concerning its full band version of "Staring at the Sun." Both concerts illustrate how there are few things worse than a band losing confidence in its new songs.

The other negative is harder to describe. There was a very different feel because on social issues, this night proved to be almost a victory lap for Bono's development work and so, by extension, U2's causes. Bono was thanking people (particularly politicians) for their work with ONE, and the sense was that Bono's work had reached a plateau. It wasn't over yet, but there were no stirring calls to continue, more of a satisfied look back from the top of one hill. And that gave off a very different vibe from the U2 that is always striving for greater heights. A sense of satisfaction pervaded instead of a sense of restlessness that I'd say is so critical to U2.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:13:24 PM by Chip »

Smee

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 03:46:26 AM »

maybe the problem is you.

#@!

Evidently not....seems to be quite a few in agreement with me here. As i say...i feel am well placed to make that call. I havent jumped to this conclusion, all in all, av tken a year and a half to settle things in my mind. I just cant see me rushing to stick on the 360 dvd or any 360 bootlegs in a hurry. The shows are lacking badly. Still listen to NLOTH plenty tho :)

hurricane hugo

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 09:29:13 AM »
did the band change, or did you change?

#@!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 09:35:01 AM »
did the band change, or did you change?

#@!

Probably both.

Why do you feel the need to dismiss the way Smee feels just because you evidently don't agree with him? Talk about defensive, and it's not even you he's criticizing!

The Promenade

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 09:42:52 AM »

I agree - 360 (270) is U2 by numbers. Literally, being called 360 (270).

I've seen every tour since the UF and 360 left me cold - that doesn't mean someone who is new to U2 won't enjoy 360 - but for me, compared with previous tours, it doesn't work. Even Vertigo worked although the album was pretty flat. 360 (270) is one big stage set and not much else... for me, NLOTH isn't a good record. But that's not why the tour is a bit lame. I would much rather they started with the title track or Breathe. But, as Edge said, they're not really touring that album any more, and it shows.

Which is why SOME people have called it a Greatest Hits Tour...