Author Topic: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel  (Read 25604 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2010, 05:37:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The vast majority at the Stones show goes to see the show and because it's the Stones. It's not hard to guess that, on average, a lot more people attending the U2 show are there to see the new songs.

Where's the objective evidence to support your "guess"?

And where is the objective evidence to support this ? the only reason that people go to see a U2 show is because it's U2 and they put on a good live show of mainly hits and warhorses, just like the Stones.

I was merely mimicking your line "the only reason people see them its because it's the Stones, and they do have a good live show".  I'm glad you acknowledge there is no evidence for either claim, and that it's just a matter of personal opinion.  Although, I am correct about U2 playing mainly hits and warhorses, just like the Stones and both bands do put on a good live show.  Do you see the comparisons between the bands?

And I don't have an issue with U2 thanking their employees on the album notes. :)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:20:38 AM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2010, 06:52:29 AM »

The fact that U2 have had more hits in recent years proves that U2 are more of a greatest hits preoccupied band than The Rolling Stones.  As Keef Richards says: We stopped making hit records in 1968 and started making albums. ;)

Further evidence that U2 have already become like the modern Rolling Stones is;

They are now using bridges as part of their stage sets, which the Stones first did on the Bridges to babylon tour;

They are beating the Stones at their own game with 360 which by tour end will become the highest grossing corporate rock tour and the most attended in history;

U2 are now being advised in tax avoidance by the same Dutch guy that has advised the Stones in tax avoidance for decades.

Or that u2 have just been making good music. Some of us here actually enjoy listening to ATYCLB and HTDAAB. 

Pretty sure the Black Eyed Peas used bridges on their last tour, does that mean they are the stones too? Besides didn't the stones rip off the B-stage from U2 for that tour.

U2 have had ridiculously high grossing tours since Zoo Tv. Is it a problem that a lot of people want to see them? 

I sorta get your point about the setlist. The number of new songs has gotten pretty low. But do 12 shows out of over 100 doom a tour? I don't think so.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2010, 06:55:36 AM »

The vast majority at the Stones show goes to see the show and because it's the Stones. It's not hard to guess that, on average, a lot more people attending the U2 show are there to see the new songs.

And where is the objective evidence to support this ? the only reason that people go to see a U2 show is because it's U2 and they put on a good live show of mainly hits and warhorses, just like the Stones.

I was merely mimicking your line "the only reason people see them its because it's the Stones, and they do have a good live show".  I'm glad you acknowledge there is no evidence for either claim, and that it's just a matter of personal opinion.  Although, I am correct about U2 playing mainly hits and warhorses, just like the Stones and both bands do put on a good live show.  Do you see the comparisons between the bands?

And I don't have an issue with U2 thanking their employees on the album notes. :)

a band that plays its hits at a concert. does not every band do that ???

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2010, 07:07:16 AM »
Wait.....doesn't Jay-Z wear sunglasses in concert ???  I think Jay-Z might be becoming U2 now...  >:(  8)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2010, 07:11:06 AM »

Of course.

The Promenade

« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2010, 07:20:16 AM »

Of course.

Not true - I saw the Brian Jonestown Massacre recently and they didn't perform any hits or any songs from their new album.

Not all musicians are money obsessed like Boon and his chums...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2010, 07:21:08 AM »

The fact that U2 have had more hits in recent years proves that U2 are more of a greatest hits preoccupied band than The Rolling Stones.  As Keef Richards says: We stopped making hit records in 1968 and started making albums. ;)

Further evidence that U2 have already become like the modern Rolling Stones is;

They are now using bridges as part of their stage sets, which the Stones first did on the Bridges to babylon tour;

They are beating the Stones at their own game with 360 which by tour end will become the highest grossing corporate rock tour and the most attended in history;

U2 are now being advised in tax avoidance by the same Dutch guy that has advised the Stones in tax avoidance for decades.

Or that u2 have just been making good music. Some of us here actually enjoy listening to ATYCLB and HTDAAB. 

Pretty sure the Black Eyed Peas used bridges on their last tour, does that mean they are the stones too? Besides didn't the stones rip off the B-stage from U2 for that tour.

U2 have had ridiculously high grossing tours since Zoo Tv. Is it a problem that a lot of people want to see them? 

I sorta get your point about the setlist. The number of new songs has gotten pretty low. But do 12 shows out of over 100 doom a tour? I don't think so.

I'm just providing examples of why I think U2 have become like the modern Rolling Stones, and people seem to be agreeing with my examples.  I agree that U2 are making good music as are the Rolling Stones; many people enjoy listening to albums such as Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, A Bigger Bang.  Both U2 and the Stones have high grossing tours and sell far more tickets to their concerts than they sell their new albums.  And you're right, the Stones did copy the B-stage concept from U2 - yet another thing they have in common.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2010, 07:28:38 AM »

???

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2010, 07:40:08 AM »
Good grief. :/ You guys. I give up.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2010, 07:51:43 AM »

Of course.

Not true - I saw the Brian Jonestown Massacre recently and they didn't perform any hits or any songs from their new album.

who the hell is brian jonestown massacre

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2010, 07:59:42 AM »
Good grief. :/ You guys. I give up.
lol i guess as the u2 fan age goes up we get grumpy lol.. i think the bottom line is it depends on the concert you are at or more so the crowd a friend of mine who has gone to u2 for the last 20 years thought the concert in wales this tour was the best he has ever seen.. on the whole  i think the best u2 crowds are always in europe and south america where as crowds in usa and australia seem to be more layed back although canada  newyork and mexico  are loud too in fairness

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2010, 08:06:35 AM »
You people act like old men sitting around in the room talking about how everything was better in "the old days" and everything sucks today. I'm getting tired of all the whining here.

You call this whining? You want to hear whining, you should have been around back in the '90s. Now THAT was whining!

You mean on here, the forum? ;) Cuz, otherwise, I did exist--and as an adult--in the 1990s. ;) Well, I mean, I was adult during MOST of the 90s. Though I graduated from college the year Pop was released. ;)

I remember a lot of whining about U2 around the time of Pop/PopMart.

There actually was some whining when Achtung Baby was released, if you can believe that.

I was in college when AB was released and there was a "hardcore" fan from Boston, an Irish kid.  I remember him saying "I just can't get into this album".

There were also quite a few complaints about the first leg ZOO TV setlists because they excluded Boy, October and War.  Some fans did not dig the AB tracks live.

There has ALWAYS been whining.  It's part of the tradition.

The Promenade

« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2010, 08:11:02 AM »

Of course.

who the hell is brian jonestown massacre

The Brian Jonestown Massacre are a genius American rock n roll band. If you like your music druggy and a little bit f**ked up, check them out.

However most U2 fans would hate them for the same reasons I love them...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2010, 08:14:39 AM »
^ They sound like a bunch of headbangers.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2010, 08:15:36 AM »
Ha! I must not be a very good U2 fan, then. The only things I'm currently whining about are 1)the fact that my concerts are still months away, 2) I want a new album, 3) A few more songs from October played. :)

I really love NLOTH and don't view it a failure at all. And, I love October (my favorite album). I don't hate any of their albums. I like some songs less than others. But honestly, I have nothing to complain about with this band. I LOVE them. More than any other musical group or musician I listen to. I think they're brilliant and they have a way of touching my soul with their music. I have no complaints. Some of you people just seem to never be satisfied. It's no wonder I'm afraid to publish my own writing... People are so critical. Ikes!