Author Topic: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel  (Read 25988 times)

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
Re: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel
« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Saying that U2 lives in a different world from yourself because they won't release autographed albums is whining

Actually, it's not whining, it's stupid. And it's not what I meant.

What I meant is that U2.com, in general, is a good example of the U2 management, and therefore, the band members themselves, not paying attention to what's happening on a "fan" level.

There are so many lesser known or rich or spoiled artists that actually use their websites to try and connect with their fanbase. It's always annoying to realize that U2 can't do that. Reach out to us. That's frustrating.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
It was just U2 playing it safe.

This post alone makes your entire argument fall apart

...and reading yours made ME fall apart... Please elaborate.

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2010, 04:41:28 PM »
Going back to the original statement....

It is interesting that you feel this way Smee....  Were you able to go to any of the 360 gigs? (or European leg in particular?)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I have been amazed at the reviews (here and elsewhere) stating that the concert(s) (on this tour) were the best the person(s) had seen ever!   I have been surprised by the "best ever" statements, I guess.

So, to each his own, I suppose.

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2010, 06:37:02 PM »
equally perhaps others are too gushing about Boon and his chums.

Hey, I don't think it's possible to be too gushing about Boonie; I mean, 52 beers on one flight [/url]http://www.fhm.com/upgrade/david-keg-on-legs-boon-drinking-52-cans-of-beer-at-altitude-20090708[/url]!! Respect!

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2010, 06:43:57 PM »
equally perhaps others are too gushing about Boon and his chums.

Hey, I don't think it's possible to be too gushing about Boonie; I mean, 52 beers on one flight [/url]http://www.fhm.com/upgrade/david-keg-on-legs-boon-drinking-52-cans-of-beer-at-altitude-20090708[/url]!! Respect!

Can't go wrong with his mo', too!

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2010, 06:55:14 PM »

Please tell me how U2 are playing it safe. Please do.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »
Saying that U2 lives in a different world from yourself because they won't release autographed albums is whining; as is saying that U2 are the same as The Rolling Stones because they have both used bridges and the same tax guy. But complaining about U2 skirting tax laws and the lack of new songs played on the last leg is not.

There have been some concerns raised here that I disagree with, but respect. Unfortunately I feel like some of them are being drowned out by a mass of whining...

I was merely drawing comparisons between The Rolling Stones and U2, of which those are two examples among many others, of how the U2 of today have already become like the modern Rolling Stones. 

I agree that one person's whining is another person's fair criticism, and one person's fair criticism is another person's whining.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »

Well, having the very same tour going on for more than 2 years is, by definition, playing it safe.

Responding to the "new world order" of how music is now produced, distributed and shared by just making longer tours is playing it safe.

Staying on tour while you claim to have enough material for at least 3 albums is playing it safe.

Having a set list made mostly of hit singles is playing it safe. Don't try to convince me that getting Scarlet on this tour is an act of courage. It's nice, but not danger territory, Exit, Acrobat or Love is Blindness would ne. But they tried... Drowning Man was rehearsed ! By the way I'm not implying they shouldn't play hit singles, I love most of them but, to m'y recollection, this is the first time they give up on their last album.

New songs ? I guess you could say that's brave enough. But have you listened to the actual tunes ? Not exploring new territory. These are safe songs all right.

The Promenade

« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2010, 01:45:13 AM »

Boon and his chums have been playing it safe since ATYCLB. And ATYCLB was only considered a radical departure because it was so different to POP. The moment they diverted their eyes from being exciting and focused instead on ticket sales, they started playing it safe...

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2010, 01:46:19 AM »
What does David Boon have to do with music?

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2010, 01:55:18 AM »

The vast majority at the Stones show goes to see the show and because it's the Stones. It's not hard to guess that, on average, a lot more people attending the U2 show are there to see the new songs.

Where's the objective evidence to support your "guess"?

And where is the objective evidence to support this ? the only reason that people go to see a U2 show is because it's U2 and they put on a good live show of mainly hits and warhorses, just like the Stones.

I was merely mimicking your line "the only reason people see them its because it's the Stones, and they do have a good live show".  I'm glad you acknowledge there is no evidence for either claim, and that it's just a matter of personal opinion.  Although, I am correct about U2 playing mainly hits and warhorses, just like the Stones and both bands do put on a good live show.  Do you see the comparisons between the bands?

And I don't have an issue with U2 thanking their employees on the album notes. :)

I don't think U2 and Stones both using bridges on tour, having the same tax advisor automatically proves U2 = Stones. But that's just me.

But I do think a lot more people care about U2's recent output than the Stones (let's consider the comeback with Steel Wheels as the last genuine popularity moment for them, though it is my understanding most people consider Tatoo You or Some girls, even older albums, the last genuinely good Stones albums). That is not subjective given the sales of ATYCLB/HTDAAB, and the sucess of Vertigo/BD (I don't have the data for Stones but I think I am correct when I assume their albums/singles didn't sell as much in this decade). Thus, yes, I believe more people at a U2 show want to hear the new song than at the Stones show.

Though I fully realize U2 is a younger band so in a way it's understandable they have more commercial appeal.

U2 has played a certain amount of hits. They always do, and most bands play their hits. That said, a lot less of IWF, NYD, Pride and Desire has been played this tour than previous tours. And Bullet, a major live song, has yet to appear on 360. Meanwhile we have appearnces of unreleased songs (pretty much unprecedented for U2), One tree hill, Scarlet, Ultraviolet, Batman song, Love rescue me etc. I also consider playing stadiums without a hit, in a recession, a brave thing. And like I said, I would love to see a time when Mick & Co. play a tour where 10 000 tickets are at a price of 50 $. Or, make that ANY ticket at a price 50 $.

I just don't see how the comparison works...

So no, I don't consider this tour a greatest hits tour. I don't like them playing so little from NLOTH, but what's done is done. I also think the 2010 setlist is not superior to the 2009 one, but I have also seen several reviews that say the 2010 shows are better than 2009 ones. So...*shrug* I guess it's all in the eye/ear of the beholder. Of course I say all this as someone who saw U2 in 2009, but not in 2010. I might feel differentely had I seen them both times.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:58:23 AM by xy »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #146 on: December 24, 2010, 02:22:22 AM »

The vast majority at the Stones show goes to see the show and because it's the Stones. It's not hard to guess that, on average, a lot more people attending the U2 show are there to see the new songs.

Where's the objective evidence to support your "guess"?

And where is the objective evidence to support this ? the only reason that people go to see a U2 show is because it's U2 and they put on a good live show of mainly hits and warhorses, just like the Stones.

I was merely mimicking your line "the only reason people see them its because it's the Stones, and they do have a good live show".  I'm glad you acknowledge there is no evidence for either claim, and that it's just a matter of personal opinion.  Although, I am correct about U2 playing mainly hits and warhorses, just like the Stones and both bands do put on a good live show.  Do you see the comparisons between the bands?

And I don't have an issue with U2 thanking their employees on the album notes. :)

I don't think U2 and Stones both using bridges on tour, having the same tax advisor automatically proves U2 = Stones. But that's just me.

But I do think a lot more people care about U2's recent output than the Stones (let's consider the comeback with Steel Wheels as the last genuine popularity moment for them, though it is my understanding most people consider Tatoo You or Some girls, even older albums, the last genuinely good Stones albums).

Firstly, I didn't say that both bands using bridges in the stage design or having the same tax advisers automatically prove than "U2 = Stones".  I was drawing comparisons between U2 today and the modern Rolling Stones, of which there are many.

The last genuine popularity moment for the Stones was the release of A Bigger Bang in 2005, which was a critically acclaimed album by many publications and Stones fans.  At the exact same stage in their respective careers, The Stones released Voodoo Lounge, which sold 6 Million copies, where as U2 released No Line On The Horizon, which only sold 4 Million.  This doesn't suggest that more people care about U2's recent output than the Stones output at the same point in their careers.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2010, 02:55:10 AM »
I paid £150 for a great seat at the O2 arena in London to see The Stones in 2007, but I'll be damned if I'd pay the £150 being charged for a ticket to see U2360 at Wembley Stadium.  I would, however, happily pay £150 to see U2 at the O2.

In 1994/95, 6 Million people bought a copy of the Stones Voodoo Lounge and 6.6 Million went to see the Voodoo lounge tour.

In 2009/11, 4 Million people bought a copy of U2's No Line On The Horizon and between 7 - 8 Million will have seen the 360 by tour end.

What does these figures suggest?

The Promenade

« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2010, 03:08:23 AM »
I paid £150 for a great seat at the O2 arena in London to see The Stones in 2007, but I'll be damned if I'd pay the £150 being charged for a ticket to see U2360 at Wembley Stadium.  I would, however, happily pay £150 to see U2 at the O2.

In 1994/95, 6 Million people bought a copy of the Stones Voodoo Lounge and 6.6 Million went to see the Voodoo lounge tour.

In 2009/11, 4 Million people bought a copy of U2's No Line On The Horizon and between 7 - 8 Million will have seen the 360 by tour end.

...that you have more money than sense...

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2010, 03:30:12 AM »

I agree on the arena Vs stadium point, but your figures just prove that in the last 15 years, the market for CDs and live shows has evolved a LOT !

By the way, 150£ a seat in 1994/1995 is outrageous, Zoo TV seats were 30€, wether in an arena or in a stadium...