Author Topic: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel  (Read 25729 times)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Re: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 09:49:17 AM »
Well the 260 show was the first U2 gig I've seen because the Vertigo tour came at a bad time for me to attend. So naturally, I'm a bit biased. But from the footage I've seen of this tour and the last 2; this one generally has the upper hand. A big plus for me is Bono's voice on this tour - he's really sounding great after the largely lacklustre Vertigo tour vocals. The whole band are playing with a lot of energy too. After seeing the way Ultraviolet, MoS, Crazy Tonight etc have been played this tour; I really don't understand this perceived lack of energy some people have been talking about. Plus, the new songs add intrigue to proceedings and show the band is still taking risks. Any non U2-nuts that I've come across seem to think it's a pretty damn special show (like 90% of reviews I've read). The only thing that I feel the tour is lacking is variation in the setlists. But in fairness, this is the first tour I've been following on a show-by-show basis; and static setlists stick out more these days when you can find it out with just a couple of clicks. I don't know, it just seems like the band has a significant proportion of its long-time fanbase who look at everything they do nowadays with a pessimistic outlook. Without trying to sound rude, I have the theory that as many of the band's fans are middle-aged, they become a bit close-minded to what they should be doing. I just imagine some people picking up a new U2 album and getting ready to hate it, instead of hoping for something they'll like. Of course this is a huge sweeping generalization and it only applies to some long-term fans, but there are reasons why this tour is having great success with fans and critics alike.

satellitedog01

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 09:51:27 AM »
I agree with Smee on this. I didn't get a ticket for 360°precisely cause it felt very different and "phoned in" to previous tours in a watered down way.
It lacked intensity and intent and the special atmosphere I only felt at U2 shows. I saw them on Elevation and Vertigo, and they felt right both in person and on bootlegs. I also like NLOTH much better to other two albums, particularly ATYCLB which I utterly dislike. As it's been said before, the old staples were played in a rather lackluster fashion, so they didn't gel with the more intense new material.

360° felt too much like "playtime nursery" from the first bootlegged clips, and both the Sheffield broadcast and Rose Bowl turned me off of them.
 The 2010 legs started out feeling like more of the same, but the setlists became more fun and the playing too, so while I'm still not interested in going to see them, I appreciate the improvement.

They have to play whatever they play with commitment and drive, I guess that's the one rule with U2.

LittleDany

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 10:14:16 AM »
I have just seen Popmart and 360. In Popmart I was like what...I think 8th row from stage, Adams side. I felt horribly far away, didn't see and feel anything. Today I don't remember the show, just a few flashing pictures...

In 360 I was sitting Edges side on the lower ranks. I saw the whole stage, saw the screens, felt the music (the PA was bad but who cares, still the show was great). So I feel the other way round.

But I haven't seen other tours - unfortunately. I wish I had. But I still keep listening to a lot of 360 bootlegs and I love them. I really like the setlists, the stage setup. Yes it is huge and if they do another Germany next year, I know I won't see the screen, when standing in the inner circle. But I'm fine with that.

Maybe that's the point about 360. The stage is designed to make the fans in the big round feel closer to the band. That worked for me. Maybe it's just the problem of the inner circle, that you have a chance to come close to the stage, but if you're stuck in the middle of it, you don't reach them in any way. So maybe it just doesn't work for GA or the inner circle. I cannot imagine to stand at the far end of GA in a big stadium on 360. That wouldn't work for me.

I don't think it's their worst tour or the like. I think it's  just a different way and it doesn't work for all of us the same way. Musically? They're still U2. My two cents.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:16:27 AM by LittleDany »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 11:46:38 AM »
To be honest, I didn't think Vertigo was that great, either.  A mate of mine that is a long standing U2 fan saw Vertigo in Cardiff and wasn't overly impressed.

I don't know if anyone else agrees, but I think Elevation was the last truly great U2 show and tour.  It conveyed soul and warmth that wasn't entirely down to the smaller venue, although whenever I hear that U2 are playing stadiums it always puts me off.  The new songs from ATYCLB on Elevation weren't as good as the new songs from NLOTH IMHO, and so I can't blame the songs from NLOTH for my being unimpressed by 360.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 11:57:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I haven't attended a show but I feel exactly the same way. 

Can I just state for the record I enjoy the critisisms beginning like this ?

This feels exactly like the Vertigo tour a few years go. Something's missing, they're not inspired etc...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 12:02:24 PM »

This feels exactly like the Vertigo tour a few years go. Something's missing, they're not inspired etc...

Well, all I can say is that I'm pi**ed off that I didn't see PopMart, but I couldn't care less about missing Vertigo and 360.

satellitedog01

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 12:06:18 PM »
Well, what if it's all true? What if they weren't inspired back then and are even less so today? I wouldn't say Vertigo was a better tour than Elevation (it wasn't revolutionary, that's for sure). And apart from the early promotional appearances, 360° has been lukewarm.
Anyway it's because if they keep playing the same crowd-pleasers, it will start to look a bit too samey after a couple of decades...

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 12:35:19 PM »
I thought Elevation was probably the best of the three tours, but I don't think Vertigo was far behind it at all.  I saw multiple V tours and they were great.  I felt inspiration and passion etc.  No mark missed, it was what it was supposed to be, IMO.  360?  Doesn't feel like it connects with anything - music, album, whatever.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 12:38:50 PM »
I thought Elevation was probably the best of the three tours, but I don't think Vertigo was far behind it at all.  I saw multiple V tours and they were great.  I felt inspiration and passion etc.  No mark missed, it was what it was supposed to be, IMO.  360?  Doesn't feel like it connects with anything - music, album, whatever.

I bet Bono's pre-One speech was a real passion killer. :D

satellitedog01

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 12:41:12 PM »
Vertigo as a tour, was way too talky  on Bono's part to be honest... And they did a good job capturing it on the Chicago DVD...

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 01:28:01 PM »
 :D Sorry y'all, I think this is one of the first places I've heard it said that Bono talking kills passion!  This is THE Bono we're talking about, right? The Irish wordsmith, poet, gab-about-town?  ;) The only times I've found Bono's talking during a concert annoying is when I can't make out what he's saying because the sound is kinda crappy, or when he goes on in another language and I can't follow.  But that's just me.

Can't wait to see what difference it will be to see 360 from way far back (to take in the whole thing) and way up close (to at least get see the guys).  It's good to hear that my feelings so far are not out of the ordinary.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »
:D Sorry y'all, I think this is one of the first places I've heard it said that Bono talking kills passion!  This is THE Bono we're talking about, right? The Irish wordsmith, poet, gab-about-town?  ;) The only times I've found Bono's talking during a concert annoying is when I can't make out what he's saying because the sound is kinda crappy, or when he goes on in another language and I can't follow.  But that's just me.

Can't wait to see what difference it will be to see 360 from way far back (to take in the whole thing) and way up close (to at least get see the guys).  It's good to hear that my feelings so far are not out of the ordinary.

The only passionate speech that Bono ever made that stirred me was the '**** the Revolution', SBS speech on R&H.

satellitedog01

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 01:37:36 PM »
Yeah, after hearing the same stuff regurgitated (from interviews to inter-song speeches to song lyrics) for 3-4 album-cycle spans, I got bored a little.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2010, 01:52:45 PM »

OK, if one must have attended a 360 show before he can have anything meaningful to say about this tour, then can we also say that unless you were there during the '80s and '90s you cannot contribute to any discussion or debate about the glory days of U2?

satellitedog01

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »
:-)