Author Topic: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel  (Read 25621 times)

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
Re: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel
« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2010, 03:35:49 AM »
I really enjoyed my 360 tour gigs. They felt like special events (U2 concerts always do), and it's great to see the band live. I think there were lots of music tourists around, but the atmosphere was still decent overall.

When I listen to the bootlegs, I do find myself switching off though. Without the atmosphere of being there, and without the 'show' visuals, you focus on just the music alone. And it definitely lacks something.
Not all the time and not every song, but it often does. I think it could be a combination of age, familiarity and a certain disjointedness to the set.  

Is the age and familiarity issue mine or the bands?
Maybe both, but I still love live music, listen to other bands (who have also been around a while), and don't feel the same way; so I still have a passion for good music in a live setting.

I like the way U2 have introduced songs into the sets on the fly. The brand new ones, the forgotten older ones. These have probably been my highlights (the Lovetown section was terrific).  I think that sometimes the other songs sound like they are being 'run through' for the sake of inclusion.
The NLOTH material was interesting to hear, but was soon phased out. We never got some of the songs from the album either. I would have loved to hear Cedars, for example, even if they had changed it around a bit and tried a different arrangement. I think earlier comments about the bands lack of confidence in this material is probably right.

Overall, similar to the last album, I think the tour suffers a bit from an identity crisis. It's a series of U2 songs, some played with less passion than others, with only a tenuous theme; all performed before an audience who, like me perhaps, has started to become interested observers as opposed to heavily involved fans. And when you analyse things without the glitz and the glamour, the delivery is not quite what it once was.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2010, 03:37:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I paid 150 for a great seat at the O2 arena in London to see The Stones in 2007, but I'll be damned if I'd pay the 150 being charged for a ticket to see U2360 at Wembley Stadium.  I would, however, happily pay 150 to see U2 at the O2.

In 1994/95, 6 Million people bought a copy of the Stones Voodoo Lounge and 6.6 Million went to see the Voodoo lounge tour.

In 2009/11, 4 Million people bought a copy of U2's No Line On The Horizon and between 7 - 8 Million will have seen the 360 by tour end.

What does these figures suggest?

I agree on the arena Vs stadium point, but your figures just prove that in the last 15 years, the market for CDs and live shows has evolved a LOT !

By the way, 150 a seat in 1994/1995 is outrageous, Zoo TV seats were 30, wether in an arena or in a stadium...

150 a seat in 1994/95. ???

I paid 150 for a great seat to see The Stones at the O2 arena in 2007, while U2 were charging 150 a seat in a gigantic stadium in 2009.

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2010, 05:53:52 AM »
Smee are you from north america?

maybe your opinions stems from seeing the indoor tours of vertigo and elevation.

i thought 360 was better than vertigo 4 years ago,
but then again i havent seen them indoors which i think would be much better than a stadium gig.

understand your point though, its lacking something i cant quite put my finger on.

i'm wracking my brain now to think what vertigo and elevation had that 360 doesnt

satellitedog01

« Reply #153 on: December 24, 2010, 06:46:50 AM »
Commitment to the older material on the first leg. There was a big difference in the feel of old vs. new material performances. Maybe it was just Bono being cautious with his voice. The last two legs were somewhat better performance wise, so I'm hoping for a return to glory.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #154 on: December 24, 2010, 06:53:08 AM »
Elevation had a much bigger commitment to the new songs and it was the first tour that U2 tried the modern live U2 sound which is now all too familiar, but back in 2001 it was a new, dare I say it, back to basics sound after Zoo TV and PopMart.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2010, 07:09:55 AM »
I paid 150 for a great seat at the O2 arena in London to see The Stones in 2007, but I'll be damned if I'd pay the 150 being charged for a ticket to see U2360 at Wembley Stadium.  I would, however, happily pay 150 to see U2 at the O2.

In 1994/95, 6 Million people bought a copy of the Stones Voodoo Lounge and 6.6 Million went to see the Voodoo lounge tour.

In 2009/11, 4 Million people bought a copy of U2's No Line On The Horizon and between 7 - 8 Million will have seen the 360 by tour end.

I agree on the arena Vs stadium point, but your figures just prove that in the last 15 years, the market for CDs and live shows has evolved a LOT !

By the way, 150 a seat in 1994/1995 is outrageous, Zoo TV seats were 30, wether in an arena or in a stadium...

150 a seat in 1994/95. ???

I paid 150 for a great seat to see The Stones at the O2 arena in 2007, while U2 were charging 150 a seat in a gigantic stadium in 2009.

Sorry. My bad.

satellitedog01

« Reply #156 on: December 24, 2010, 07:27:52 AM »
The Elevation tour worked very well, and the main reason was they played most songs (WOWY was already quite bored with itself) with passion.

Merry Xmas everyone.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #157 on: December 24, 2010, 07:34:44 AM »
The Elevation tour worked very well, and the main reason was they played most songs (WOWY was already quite bored with itself) with passion.

Merry Xmas everyone.

And Ho Ho Ho to U2. ;)

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #158 on: December 25, 2010, 03:27:28 AM »

The vast majority at the Stones show goes to see the show and because it's the Stones. It's not hard to guess that, on average, a lot more people attending the U2 show are there to see the new songs.

Where's the objective evidence to support your "guess"?

And where is the objective evidence to support this ? the only reason that people go to see a U2 show is because it's U2 and they put on a good live show of mainly hits and warhorses, just like the Stones.

I was merely mimicking your line "the only reason people see them its because it's the Stones, and they do have a good live show".  I'm glad you acknowledge there is no evidence for either claim, and that it's just a matter of personal opinion.  Although, I am correct about U2 playing mainly hits and warhorses, just like the Stones and both bands do put on a good live show.  Do you see the comparisons between the bands?

And I don't have an issue with U2 thanking their employees on the album notes. :)

I don't think U2 and Stones both using bridges on tour, having the same tax advisor automatically proves U2 = Stones. But that's just me.

But I do think a lot more people care about U2's recent output than the Stones (let's consider the comeback with Steel Wheels as the last genuine popularity moment for them, though it is my understanding most people consider Tatoo You or Some girls, even older albums, the last genuinely good Stones albums).

Firstly, I didn't say that both bands using bridges in the stage design or having the same tax advisers automatically prove than "U2 = Stones".  I was drawing comparisons between U2 today and the modern Rolling Stones, of which there are many.

The last genuine popularity moment for the Stones was the release of A Bigger Bang in 2005, which was a critically acclaimed album by many publications and Stones fans.  At the exact same stage in their respective careers, The Stones released Voodoo Lounge, which sold 6 Million copies, where as U2 released No Line On The Horizon, which only sold 4 Million.  This doesn't suggest that more people care about U2's recent output than the Stones output at the same point in their careers.

Yes, and as the comparison you used the bridges/tax advisor, both of which can easily be refuted. By the same analogy, U2 and Stones are ripping off Pink Floyd because they have worked with David Mallet/Mark Fisher. And given that 5 major live hits are played a lot less this tour, the greatest hits comparison fails too.

Like I said, the last genuinely great Stones album is Tatoo you/Some girls, and a comeback with Steel wheels. That was decades ago. And ATYCLB, Bomb were also critically acclaimed (now I don't know how much Stones albums were selling in that point of their career, but think we can say they did not have a hit like BD or Vertigo - so, yes, I think more people care about U2's output recently) - lest we forget several 5 star reviews for NLOTH. There is no comparison between sales in 1993 - I believe Zooropa had about the same sales, give or take a million, and sales in a completely different environment where each year less CDs are sold.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #159 on: December 25, 2010, 03:29:47 AM »

You prefer arenas to stadiums.

In the same point of their career/same age, more people will go see U2 compared to the Stones. Which proves my point yet again.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #160 on: December 25, 2010, 10:50:04 AM »

You prefer arenas to stadiums.

In the same point of their career/same age, more people will go see U2 compared to the Stones.

I thought you might have concluded that U2 sell almost 2 concert tickets for every copy of their new music sold, where as the Stones, at the same point in their career, sold nearly 1 album of their new music for every concert ticket sold.

What does that suggest?

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #161 on: December 25, 2010, 10:53:46 AM »
Again, comparing CD sales from 1995 and 2009 is like comparing the market of... Say, panda bear fur in the 1800's and now.

Sort of.

FYI I've been selling records from 1997 through 2008. Guess whyI changed job ?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #162 on: December 25, 2010, 11:09:26 AM »
Again, comparing CD sales from 1995 and 2009 is like comparing the market of... Say, panda bear fur in the 1800's and now.

Sort of.

I'm comparing album sales in any format.

If you want another comparison; Zooropa sold 7 Million copies in 1993, where as The Stones Voodoo Lounge sold 6 Million in 1994.

Offline AliSPNfan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2010, 12:45:39 PM »
I saw the 360 Tour three times in the UK and once in Rome and the atmosphere each time was outstanding.I have no complaints over the stage, the songs or the ticket prices.I paid 33 for my Sheffield ticket and 44Euro for my Rome ticket.The tickets for Wembley were a bit more expensive but...it was Wembley and I wasn't going to miss those concerts for anything.I love No Line On The Horizon and was glad that so many new songs were played.In Rome I even got to hear new songs so I was a happy U2 fan that night.

I've been a fan for going on 30yrs and plenty of other bands that I loved as a younger lass are no more, but U2 are still going strong and thank goodness for that!  ;D

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #164 on: December 25, 2010, 12:58:03 PM »

Sort of.

I'm comparing album sales in any format.

If you want another comparison; Zooropa sold 7 Million copies in 1993, where as The Stones Voodoo Lounge sold 6 Million in 1994.

This you CAN compare : both are CD sales from the same timeframe.

What you cannot compare is a cd/tickets sales ratio from 1995 Vs a cd/tickets sales ratio nowadays... Totally different maket. To give you an idea : a concert ticket was 3-5 times the prive of a Cd whereas now it's an average 10-15 times...