Author Topic: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel  (Read 25477 times)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Re: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2010, 03:04:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I haven't attended a show but I feel exactly the same way. 

Can I just state for the record I enjoy the critisisms beginning like this ?

OK, if one must have attended a 360 show before he can have anything meaningful to say about this tour, then can we also say that unless you were there during the '80s and '90s you cannot contribute to any discussion or debate about the glory days of U2?

There are certain things that can be discussed without actually attending the shows - setlists for example. But atmosphere and passion can only be discussed if you actually went to a show. The show I went to lacked neither passion or atmosphere. But you're right in that it applies both ways. There's just something daft about commenting on lack of energy or excitement in a tour based on youtube clips. I don't think anyone's saying the ZooTV or JT tours lacked passion.

satellitedog01

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 03:56:42 PM »
You are indeed right, and one can clearly see how energetic and powerful those were even across the gaping void of time and recorded vs. live compared to some of the 360 performances! The changes may have been necessary, unavoidable even, but they surely didn't improve their live performances to me.

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »
Although I have enjoyed the 2 360 shows I have seen so far, they in no way compare to the ZooTV show I attended. But I think it may have something to do with the crowd. In a stadium, you get alot of people attending who are not true fans of the band. They only respond to the big hits and sit out the newer songs. I want to see people on their feet, waving their hands, singing along. As for the band, I think it would be impossible to have the same level of passion as you did 30 years ago. They are middle aged now and could not possibly sustain the exuberance of their youth. They have different concerns now and families to think of. Bono is still a great showman but he isn't able to sing with the forcefulness and compassion as he did in his 20s and 30s. Since I am only a few years younger than he, I understand that and am OK with it.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 02:26:31 AM »

I haven't attended a show but I feel exactly the same way. 

Can I just state for the record I enjoy the critisisms beginning like this ?

OK, if one must have attended a 360 show before he can have anything meaningful to say about this tour, then can we also say that unless you were there during the '80s and '90s you cannot contribute to any discussion or debate about the glory days of U2?

A lot of the internet U2 fans can only, due to logical reasons, talk about the 80's tours via bootlegs/DVDs. I think the same applies even with Zoo TV.

I just think it's odd to read "I'm kicking myself for not seeing Popmart and Vertigo but I don't care for missing 360" - when you, in fact, have not seen either of those tours. Can you really judge them so accurately, based on bootlegs/DVDs ? And Youtube clips are not the same as seeing it live.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 03:44:46 AM »
Ok....here goes...having attended the show, having watched it on DVD and having listened to bootlegs of the shows......I think i rate the 360 tour at the bottom of the pile of all tours since War. There just seems to be something missing in the performances and am not sure i can put it into words. Maybe it just lacks the magic of previous tours.
Now dont try and patronise me that i dont know what im talking about, As av been listening to the band virtually every day for the last 29 yrs. I know their music inside out and love the band as much as anyone and av seen every tour since UF.....and most importantly of all...i KNOW how i feel. So i feel i am qualified to make that call. Strange bit is, I really like NLOTH album.

agreed 100%

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2010, 04:54:29 AM »
I agree 100% that U2 should stop playing their greatest hits like Scarlet, Ultraviolet, Your Blue Room and The Unforgettable Fire. Man, those songs are so totally overplayed.

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2010, 05:02:51 AM »
I agree 100% that U2 should stop playing their greatest hits like Scarlet, Ultraviolet, Your Blue Room and The Unforgettable Fire. Man, those songs are so totally overplayed.

:D  :D  :D  Yeah, it is odd to hear 360 referred to as a "greatest hits tour" when they're regularly pulling out old songs that many in the crowd have never heard and brand new songs that most people have never heard.  Still, it is clear at least that 360 is not in support of a specific album.  I think that is a huge and groundbreaking thing, and a statement in and of itself.

satellitedog01

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2010, 05:33:08 AM »

:D  :D  :D  Yeah, it is odd to hear 360 referred to as a "greatest hits tour" when they're regularly pulling out old songs that many in the crowd have never heard and brand new songs that most people have never heard.  Still, it is clear at least that 360 is not in support of a specific album.  I think that is a huge and groundbreaking thing, and a statement in and of itself.

And a pointless one at that. Not much added content from the stage, just a "Look how big our spacejunk is" showiness that fits only creakily with our economically challenged times. It's probably a midlife crisis thing that they hopefully get over come the next album or the one after... 

As for the rare songs, it's entertaining but they replaced a focused batch of finished songs with semi rehearsed (sometimes poorly performed to be honest) rarities and admittedly and audibly unfinished ditties, often in a two-piece format, that might or might not resurface later.

I'm glad they're having fun, but this tour is in fact dinosaur band territory.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2010, 05:51:45 AM »
hahahaha - 360 is not in support of a specific album because the album was gone in the blink of an eye - this is just a desperate contingency plan, but this apparently makes U2 geniuses!

Oh wow they play some new songs that a moderate busker could master in ten minutes - this apparently makes U2 geniuses.

Yeah lets just forget 90% of the gig because it's that 10% that really matters. If it weren't for the the few obscurities (and this is the point of them) that U2 can be bothered to rehearse once a week, then a "greatest hits/singles tour" for the sake of it is what we are left with, beyond question - at the very least, it's pretty thin ice....

I don't like saying any of this, and maybe I'm just grabbing at reasons why I feel like this, I'm really glad it's not just me though - just a general observation but is seems mainly the older fans who are having issues with the tour.  I think Torino was the last time I rushed on here, anxious to see what was played, in what order, with a genuine curiosity as to how a certain song would translate live..... and that has gone.

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2010, 05:54:56 AM »
Does anyone think this has happened ever before, in U2's entire history?  That is, they launch an album-tour, then in essence ditch the album, leaving the tour without a foundation?  I'm really curious if there's any case to made for a precedent to 360.

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2010, 06:07:02 AM »
Vertigo was my first time seeing U2 (twice in Sydney) and I just attended both Sydney 360 shows and I have to say that 360 killed Vertigo - more fun, more balanced setlists, more intimate, less preachy. When I saw Vertigo, for one show I was in the stands and for one I was in GA near the front (keep in mind that Vertigo was a stadium show for us). At the 360 shows, I was inner circle GA both times. For all the incessant talk of the Claw by media, fans, absolutely everyone, for me, Vertigo felt like a much more imposing show: even down the front, the stage loomed down on you (the Vertigo stadium show was big); whereas on 360, at least from down the front, the Claw pretty much becomes irrelevant, it's completely out of your line of sight. I probably 95% of the show watching the band, not looking at the Claw, not even watching the screen - I've never had that at any large concert! The whole point of the Claw is to make you focus on the four guys on the stage. I don't know if it can quite be called "intimacy" for the folks in the rafters, but I kinda see what Bono was getting at with it.

Add to that the setlists, where I thought the band hit a great balance between the big hits and pulling out enough rarities to tickle the hardcore fans who get a real kick out of hearing songs like Ultraviolet, Scarlet, Hold Me..., Love Rescue Me (!!). Lastly, someone mentioned that preachy stuff (for want of a better term) felt like a victory lap for Bono's work: I agree and I really liked that - let's celebrate the victories, the progress, whilst still acknowledging that there's more work to be done. It also didn't take up anywhere near as much of the concert and wasn't as heavy-handed, as opposed to the preaching on Vertigo which was as subtle as a brick.

To me, of the two tours I've seen, 360 is easily superior. Yes, everyone will talk about the glory days of ZooTV or the Joshua Tree tour, but just be thankful that the band that you love is still working bloody hard to put on the best show that they can. And for those who talk of greatest hits tours, go and see the Eagles or even the Stones - then you'll know what a phoned-in greatest hits show looks like (and I love both of those bands) - U2360 is a hell of a long way from that.

satellitedog01

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 06:07:25 AM »
All the 2000's tours were similar to some extent, with way too many new songs dropped by the end of the tour, but this is the first ever U2 tour where they distanced themselves admittedly from the album they set out to promote early on. I don't care about the reasoning. This is plain awkward.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2010, 09:36:28 AM »
I wonder if U2 will change the setlist when they resume touring in 2011?   Since, it is my first concert, I will be pleased with anything they play.  But, Bono has hinted about new material and possibly an album.  I hope so.  It would be awesome.

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2010, 09:50:19 AM »

And a pointless one at that. Not much added content from the stage, just a "Look how big our spacejunk is" showiness that fits only creakily with our economically challenged times. It's probably a midlife crisis thing that they hopefully get over come the next album or the one after... 

As for the rare songs, it's entertaining but they replaced a focused batch of finished songs with semi rehearsed (sometimes poorly performed to be honest) rarities and admittedly and audibly unfinished ditties, often in a two-piece format, that might or might not resurface later.

I'm glad they're having fun, but this tour is in fact dinosaur band territory.

To clarify my statement in red, which I think you're responding to in part -- when I said "it's a statement," I was referring to the fact that for the first time they're vocally not supporting their latest album with the tour anymore.  That is a loud statement on NLOTH by U2.  I wasn't referring to the new songs or generally unknown gems.

satellitedog01

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2010, 10:25:59 AM »
Ok, I see your point, that puts it in a different light, which is, making this a "for fun" tour, which in itself is an acceptable thing if planned from the start, but I don't care for it. It is no fun to me this way...
I hold my opinion on the 360 stage in general though, and hope it will be dismissed by the band as easily as NLOTH... This whole tour seems a tactical mistake they try to get out of unharmed. Lucky for them the general public don't care about NLOTH? Erm... which is your favourite brand of dinosaur?