Author Topic: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel  (Read 25480 times)

Smee

Re: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2010, 10:35:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wonder if U2 will change the setlist when they resume touring in 2011?   Since, it is my first concert, I will be pleased with anything they play.  But, Bono has hinted about new material and possibly an album.  I hope so.  It would be awesome.

Yup....you deffo will enjoy ANY u2 gig you go to....as i do.....its just some of us have been spoilt bastards and managed to see lots of other u2 tours over the years. And by comparrison, some feel the 360 tour falls short to what u2 can do. Dont get me wrong, if, as is rumoured, u2 return to the UK next year, I will deffinatley be going to see them, and i know i will love the show....just not as much as any other tour i have seen.
Next tour, i would really like to see it being all about the music....forget the fancy stage. I mean....they talk about men and their fancy cars being penis extensions....thats how i feel about 360 tour.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:36:43 AM by Smee »

Offline Rayford27

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Your wheels are turning, but you're upside down
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2010, 10:43:50 AM »
I have been to every tour since early ZooTV, and I think 360 is totally awesome.  But, I think it is probably the least totally awesome tour they've done (except for Popmart... I just didn't get Popmart.)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
It is the Avatar of rock tours - I thought the film was technically impressive but a big pile of crap otherwise

satellitedog01

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2010, 12:36:37 PM »
Nice comparison. Agreed on Avatar... Its also a form of ego justification. Technology is good for that sort of thing.

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2010, 03:21:40 PM »
Ok, I see your point, that puts it in a different light, which is, making this a "for fun" tour, which in itself is an acceptable thing if planned from the start, but I don't care for it. It is no fun to me this way...
I hold my opinion on the 360 stage in general though, and hope it will be dismissed by the band as easily as NLOTH... This whole tour seems a tactical mistake they try to get out of unharmed. Lucky for them the general public don't care about NLOTH? Erm... which is your favourite brand of dinosaur?

Yeah, as I chimed in early on in this thread, 360 is my least favorite tour of all time (if I'm able to judge based on DVDs and whatnot)  8) I think this is the first time in their career that U2 really stumbled, and it carried through from album to tour.  I hope when they get back up they really stand tall.

satellitedog01

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2010, 03:44:13 PM »
Well there's a strong chance.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »
U2's live sound has been virtually identical for three tours now, as has been The Stones for their last four tours, and I really can't see U2 changing it much on future tours.

satellitedog01

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2010, 06:34:26 PM »
shush now Dice! That's a very ugly thing to hear before Xmas...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2010, 06:37:59 PM »
shush now Dice! That's a very ugly thing to hear before Xmas...

You should know by now that Father Christmas doesn't exist.

satellitedog01

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2010, 07:06:01 PM »
:-/ (Insert snarky and nudge-nudge flavoured imaginary reply)

Offline RiverEuphrates

• Babyface
  • dee nau-nau, dee nau nau-nau (J Swallo)
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »
Try as I might I get no feeling from 'The Claw'.  To me it's dystopian. It does not fit into the U2 aesthetic, there's no reference to No Line (but I believe it was always called the '360 Tour' anyway?).  So following the logic, the set up is to fill as many seats as possible, and along with the BBerry sponsorship, the 'for love or for money?' question lurks-  I have nothing against making money BTW.

I put that aside and enjoyed both shows in summer '09, but I would agree there was something missing.  Some of it was due to me- not least from seeing Springsteen a few times prior (no bells and whistles, just songs.)

The stage, with the lights, screens etc... actually take away from the intimacy- it might be me, but Zoo TV did not have that problem, mostly because Zoo TV fit with Achtung Baby and U2's direction at the time.  But with 360 there is no clue of that.  And so I come back to the financials and that Live Nation call some shots now, if only indirectly. 

I think I would enjoy it better without the artifice- U2 are selling themselves short if they don't think they could still do that- but it would not fill the stadiums.  I suppose once you have the taste for the stadiums, you do what you need to do to keep it. Even if Bono needs to use the teleprompter, he's still got the energy.  The set lists are more adventurous than ever (unrecorded songs etc...)

The danger is that U2, no matter how successful the tour, could be heading down the route of carbaret entertainment.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2010, 09:47:58 PM »
Try as I might I get no feeling from 'The Claw'.  To me it's dystopian. It does not fit into the U2 aesthetic, there's no reference to No Line (but I believe it was always called the '360 Tour' anyway?).  So following the logic, the set up is to fill as many seats as possible, and along with the BBerry sponsorship, the 'for love or for money?' question lurks-  I have nothing against making money BTW.

I put that aside and enjoyed both shows in summer '09, but I would agree there was something missing.  Some of it was due to me- not least from seeing Springsteen a few times prior (no bells and whistles, just songs.)

The stage, with the lights, screens etc... actually take away from the intimacy- it might be me, but Zoo TV did not have that problem, mostly because Zoo TV fit with Achtung Baby and U2's direction at the time.  But with 360 there is no clue of that.  And so I come back to the financials and that Live Nation call some shots now, if only indirectly. 

I think I would enjoy it better without the artifice- U2 are selling themselves short if they don't think they could still do that- but it would not fill the stadiums.  I suppose once you have the taste for the stadiums, you do what you need to do to keep it. Even if Bono needs to use the teleprompter, he's still got the energy.  The set lists are more adventurous than ever (unrecorded songs etc...)

The danger is that U2, no matter how successful the tour, could be heading down the route of carbaret entertainment.

I totally feel ya, and I just echoed your concerns here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2010, 11:09:30 PM »
Wow. I'm not surprised that some fans are disappointed (after all, it's pretty hard not to get disappointed at some point by a band the longer it runs), but the amount of negativity is far more than I'd expect. To me, 360 was what Popmart should have been.

Does the claw have a connection to NLOTH? Well, yeah. If you take Bono's goal of making a "gospel album for the future" and then create a futuristic environment (i.e., a "spaceship," at least in Bono's eyes) that then serves to give visual impression to that goal, I'd say the claw has pretty well served its purpose. There was considerable thematic unity of 360 during the U.S. leg, in song selections and running order. And I don't think U2 has ever created a better thematic concert section than the Auden poem (later replaced by Zoo baby) introduction/"Ultraviolet"/WOWY (performed intentionally lowkey, given Bono's character during the encore)/"Moment of Surrender." I think it even surpasses the thematic unity seen in the encore set of later Zoo TV concerts (as exemplified in Live from Sydney).   

I'm surprised, too, that there hasn't been much (any?) discussion about how personal this setting seemingly is for Bono. On the Vertigo tour, he talked about the impact that the moon landing made upon him. This tour, and possibly even NLOTH in light of Bono's previously stated goal for it, seems to have spun out of that interest.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:44:14 PM by Chip »

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2010, 05:24:15 AM »
it lacks the energy and passion of u2s zoo tv but for me 360 has been better than pop tour.. i guess its an age thing smee not just with the band but us as well  lets face it your not going to have the same energy in your mid 50s that you would have had in your mid 20s sad but thats life i guess.. they are still for me the best live act out there though and noone will ever match u2 live in the 90s. impossible to match

The Promenade

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2010, 05:52:45 AM »
Wow. I'm not surprised that some fans are disappointed (after all, it's pretty hard not to get disappointed at some point by a band the longer it runs), but the amount of negativity is far more than I'd expect. To me, 360 was what Popmart should have been.

Does the claw have a connection to NLOTH? Well, yeah. If you take Bono's goal of making a "gospel album for the future" and then create a futuristic environment (i.e., a "spaceship," at least in Bono's eyes) that then serves to give visual impression to that goal, I'd say the claw has pretty well served its purpose. There was considerable thematic unity of 360 during the U.S. leg, in song selections and running order. And I don't think U2 has ever created a better thematic concert section than the Auden poem (later replaced by Zoo baby) introduction/"Ultraviolet"/WOWY (performed intentionally lowkey, given Bono's character during the encore)/"Moment of Surrender." I think it even surpasses the thematic unity seen in the encore set of later Zoo TV concerts (as exemplified in Live from Sydney).   

I'm surprised, too, that there hasn't been much (any?) discussion about how personal this setting seemingly is for Bono. On the Vertigo tour, he talked about the impact that the moon landing made upon him. This tour, and possibly even NLOTH in light of Bono's previously stated goal for it, seems to have spun out of that interest.

Popmart had an intellectual concept behind its visual identity. The claw is one big dumb ugly stage set - big for the sake of being big. It's also interesting that the tour graphics (360 logo) etc look like a 15 year old with a heavy metal fixation designed them. POPMART and ZOOTV were aesthetically very pleasing in that area. Even Vertigo had a pretty decent visual look. There is no connection whatsoever between the graphic feel of NLOTH (which is nice enough) and the claw.

It's almost like the claw was designed for a different band on a different tour.

This doesn't help with accusations from many here that 360 (270) has become a Greatest Hits Tour...

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:58:44 AM by The Promenade »