Author Topic: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel  (Read 25709 times)

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
Re: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2010, 07:55:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
it lacks the energy and passion of u2s zoo tv but for me 360 has been better than pop tour.. i guess its an age thing smee not just with the band but us as well  lets face it your not going to have the same energy in your mid 50s that you would have had in your mid 20s sad but thats life i guess.. they are still for me the best live act out there though and noone will ever match u2 live in the 90s. impossible to match

It seems like Bono is fighting that expectation in to 00s with his famous stage laps.  I think U2/Bono is just trying too hard, which plenty of people have referenced -- trying to be relevant, trying to have hit records, trying to have sell-out stadium shows, trying to have hit singles, trying to be the biggest band in the world, trying to have the biggest stage set-up in history, trying to have the biggest grossing tour of all time, trying, trying, trying.  U2 is at its best when they let the magic work, when they let the spirit move them, in organic and natural ways.  Yes, they're older now, and the won't have the stamina of 20-year-olds, but there are obvious benefits to being older.  Wisdom, acquired knowledge....large bank accounts, in this particular case.  They should exploit their gained strengths and follow their hearts and instincts without trying so hard to do something.  It can come across as artificial and forced that way, and that's a difficult mindset to be in when you want to create classic, enduring music and memorable, meaningful live experiences.

360 and NLOTH might just be the sound and sight of U2 trying to do something rather than doing something well.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2010, 04:24:45 PM »
If I just listen to their respective audio's, then 360 from the Rose Bowl is BETTER than Vertigo live from Chicago, even if they sound very much the same.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2010, 05:46:47 PM »
I was listening to North Star, Every Breaking Wave, UV and the All I Want Is You/Love Rescue Me/Desire performance from Perth earlier today.  I really think that some of these 360 shows have been brilliant.  I totally understand the criticism of the stage.  The claw and the video screen don't bother me that much, but those bridges seem out of place.  I wish they had a less complex stage presentation.

The one 360 show that I caught in New Jersey actually contained a sizable chunk of NLOTH.  I don't think this "Greatest Hits Tour Debate" applied to that leg so much.

I see absolutely no comparison to the Rolling Stones of the present. 

You might be able to make a Steel Wheels era comparison because U2 now are kind of at the same point in their career that the Stones were in 1989-1990

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2010, 06:07:28 PM »

You might be able to make a Steel Wheels era comparison because U2 now are kind of at the same point in their career that the Stones were in 1989-1990

Interesting that you should mention that, but in fact U2 are at The Rolling Stones, Voodoo Lounge stage (1994/95) of their career, if you compare the length of their respective recording careers.

Comparisons include: both bands have established their modern live sounds; the Voodoo Lounge world tour is the most highly attended rock tour in history with 6.6 Million tickets sold, but this is going to be overtaken by U2's present 360 tour; both tours began with both bands playing 7 songs from their new albums, and both cut the number of new songs in the set as the tours progressed; both the Stones and U2 are touring jukeboxes playing roughly the same number of warhorses and selected songs from their back catalogues. 

The Stones Voodoo Lounge album sold 6 million copies and NLOTH has sold 4 million copies.

I definitely think there are comparisons to The Rolling Stones, right now.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:48:39 PM by Tumbling Dice »

• Precious Stone
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »

Interesting that you should mention that, but in fact U2 are at The Rolling Stones, Voodoo Lounge stage (1994/95) of their career, if you compare the length of their respective recording careers.

Comparisons include: both bands have established their modern live sounds; the Voodoo Lounge world tour is the most highly attended rock tour in history with 6.6 Million tickets sold, but this is going to be overtaken by U2's present 360 tour; both tours began with both bands playing 7 songs from their new albums, and both cut the number of new songs in the set as the tours progressed; both the Stones and U2 are touring jukeboxes playing roughly the same number of warhorses and selected songs from their back catalogues. 

The Stones Voodoo Lounge album sold 6 million copies and NLOTH has sold 4 million copies.

I suppose that the big difference is that U2 have never been and never will be the touring jukebox that The Rolling Stones have become.  The Stones have a far more extensive back catalog with triple the number of radio hits.

That said, one of my regrets is never having caught a Steel Wheels show.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2010, 07:15:16 PM »
But the point is that U2 HAVE ALREADY become a touring jukebox like The Rolling Stones, on the 360 and Vertigo tours.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:16:56 PM by Tumbling Dice »

• Precious Stone
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2010, 08:15:53 PM »
It's not possible.  The jukebox selections are not there.  They don't have the radio hits.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2010, 08:20:35 PM »
This doesn't help with accusations from many here that 360 (270) has become a Greatest Hits Tour...

you mean the 20 fans that think so and the 70+ fans who don't?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2010, 09:28:43 PM »
It's not possible.  The jukebox selections are not there.  They don't have the radio hits.

U2 have had about the same number of radio hits in the UK as the Stones.

We're not going to have a disagreement over the definition of a 'touring jukebox' are we?

I don't mean just playing hit singles, as most of the songs in a typical live Stones set were not hit singles - which would make it impossible for the Stones to be a jukebox in that case -  I mean racking up their entire back catalogue and selecting various songs from it.  This, along with the warhorses, which U2 seem to have as many in a show as the Stones do. e.g Beautiful Day, One, WOWY, Streets, SBS, New Year's Day, I Will Follow, I Still Haven't Found..., Elevation, Pride, Bullet the Blue Sky, The Fly, Until the End of the World, Mysterious Ways, Vertigo, COBL, Walk On, Stuck In A Moment...

In actual fact, the biggest difference between the bands is that the Stones are FAR more ADVENTUROUS in plundering the rare jewels of their back catalogue than U2 have been.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:36:34 PM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2010, 02:36:31 AM »

I suppose that the big difference is that U2 have never been and never will be the touring jukebox that The Rolling Stones have become.  The Stones have a far more extensive back catalog with triple the number of radio hits.

That said, one of my regrets is never having caught a Steel Wheels show.
think you are well off there hardly ever hear much of the rolling stones on radio now(sadly).. u2 are on much more often at least in europe

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2010, 02:44:13 AM »
and i dont know where this touring jukebox is coming from  :-\ any band is going to play most of their well known hits. otherwise 75% of the people there will feel cheated and that goes for every band.. i guess if your new  then you dont have to worry as it will feel fresh but if you play with or without you for the 100th time live people who have followed you for years might want something new but the younger people there are going to want the hits ...jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz you cant please some people no matter what you do

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2010, 05:23:55 AM »
The Rolling Stones are known widely for their classic hits, and though they release new material it doesn't "make it."  U2 is famous for being the opposite -- releasing fresh, popular, important music with each new album.  Songs like Beautiful Day and Vertigo are "new classics" and I have a hard time believing that, after the popularity stumble of NLOTH, their next album won't have at least one hit single that enters along side those tunes. Personally, I feel like the Stones and U2 are quite opposite each other.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:48:12 AM by crossing_go »

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2010, 05:32:51 AM »
I havent gone to a 360 show yet... But I think some of you are totally wrong... I've been listening to this bootleg of Bono's feed from San Sebastian... His voice, IMHO, sounds way better to me than it did on PopMart, Elevation, and the Vertigo tours. And I have some bootlegs of all three. It's more important to me than anything that he sounds good. Anything else about tour is just icing on the cake.

And, personally, I dont think they've lost soul. They look the happiest than I've seen them in awhile while performing.... The youtube vids, the pictures.... it says it all... The days of Zoo and Pop are over. These are older guys now. You cant expect them to jump around stage at age 50 the way they all did when they were 30...

Offline kos4u2

• Staring at the Sun
  • Ain't love the sweetest thing
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2010, 05:34:47 AM »
Ok....here goes...having attended the show, having watched it on DVD and having listened to bootlegs of the shows......I think i rate the 360 tour at the bottom of the pile of all tours since War.

It may come to a shock to you, but i'm not shocked.
Well, it is a good thing none of us are alike.

As for me, the 2009 show I attended was the best show I saw in more than a decade.
I thought it was so good it kicked my feeling of the love comes to town tour to second place.

The strange thing is I can relate to your feeling. I think the 2010 shows were not up to par with the 2009 shows, but that can be caused by many reasons that I don't understand. And I have had it for years with previous tours. This combined with me more and more getting annoyed about the 'good donate here and there'  makes me feel the same way sometimes.

Luckily for me, the feeling goes away too every time a new record comes out;D

I hope  it will happen to U2.

Offline kos4u2

• Staring at the Sun
  • Ain't love the sweetest thing
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2010, 05:48:38 AM »
I have no 'feeling'  with the Rolling Stones the way I have with U2. I like some tunes, but that's it.

However, there is a huge age difference between the Stones and U2 and as far as I know the Stones haven't had any hit over the past 3 decades..

Having seen the Stones (out of curiousity) here in the Netherlands a couple of years back,
I can't believe anyone comparing them to u2.
U2 put up a show, at times even rather dynamic.

I have never seen such a static show the way I saw at that Stones concert.
They had definitely tuned to stone playing hits even I knew.
Not at all comparable to a U2 setlist.