Author Topic: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel  (Read 25864 times)

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
Re: Brace yourself....it may shock...but its how i feel
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2010, 06:14:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have no 'feeling'  with the Rolling Stones the way I have with U2. I like some tunes, but that's it.

However, there is a huge age difference between the Stones and U2 and as far as I know the Stones haven't had any hit over the past 3 decades..

Having seen the Stones (out of curiousity) here in the Netherlands a couple of years back,
I can't believe anyone comparing them to u2.
U2 put up a show, at times even rather dynamic.

I have never seen such a static show the way I saw at that Stones concert.
They had definitely tuned to stone playing hits even I knew.
Not at all comparable to a U2 setlist.
i have to agree.. i was at a stones concert 4 years ago and while there were some good songs it had no comparison on a u2 concert.. stones 6 out of 10  u2 9 or a 10 out of 10 .. i might dock it one pt for get on your boots terrible song

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2010, 06:17:44 AM »
360 and Vertigo being Greatest hits shows ?

Not really. Having 7 or more new songs in the set, bringing out rarities* and having almost half of the set from the last decade. Not to mention opening with 4 new song in a row, and premiering 5 unreleased songs.

* The Stones are more than 15 years older - of course they have a bigger catalogue to pick from. However, when was the last time they had 7 songs off the last album in the set ? And no one has cared for their recorded output for more than 20 years...the only reason people see them it's because it's the Stones, and they do have a good live show.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2010, 07:00:24 AM »
Also: At this point in U2's history, everything that's not from the last album is a greatest hit! ;) And I agree with xy.

The Promenade

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2010, 10:40:08 AM »
This doesn't help with accusations from many here that 360 (270) has become a Greatest Hits Tour...

you mean the 20 fans that think so and the 70+ fans who don't?

Dear boy, there are over 4,000 registered users on this forum - only 90 took part in your poll. 20 of which agreed that 360 (270) is indeed a Greatest Hits Tour. I suggest you canvas the other 3,910 or so before casting aspersions on my post...

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2010, 11:15:54 AM »
Also: At this point in U2's history, everything that's not from the last album is a greatest hit! ;) And I agree with xy.

Good point -- and a big PLUS for the positivity too!

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2010, 12:12:05 PM »
Look, the band are great. But they're changed. They're not the same band they were 10 years ago, and certainly not the same band they were 20 years ago.

They have different motivations, both outside music, and inside music.

I would prefer if the band where as conceptually sound as they were around ZooTV, Pop, and Elevation. They clearly are not.

The 360 tour is enjoyable, but is nowhere near as esoterically satisfying as Popmart, ZooTV or Elevation. Which all had special feelings. Probably due to the music they supported.

360 supports nothing.

Still good mind.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
I kind of have to agree with Smee here. It does seem like a more distant, less personal show. Then again, so did PopMart. There are things about the tour that I like and there are things that I hate.

It seems like if U2 wanted to play stadiums in NA again, they should have done so on the Vertigo or Elevation Tours instead of this one.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2010, 02:05:53 PM »

Not really. Having 7 or more new songs in the set, bringing out rarities* and having almost half of the set from the last decade. Not to mention opening with 4 new song in a row, and premiering 5 unreleased songs.

* The Stones are more than 15 years older - of course they have a bigger catalogue to pick from. However, when was the last time they had 7 songs off the last album in the set ? And no one has cared for their recorded output for more than 20 years...the only reason people see them it's because it's the Stones, and they do have a good live show.

1994.  At exactly the same stage in their careers as U2 are at now. ;)

And at the same stage as U2 releasing NLOTH which sold 4 million copies, The Stones released Voodoo Lounge which sold 6 million and won them a Grammy for best Rock Album - so hardly the case that "no one has cared for their recorded output for more than 20 years."

I think the only reason that people go to see a U2 show is because it's U2 and they put on a good live show of mainly hits and warhorses, just like the Stones.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2010, 02:12:09 PM »
Having seen the Stones (out of curiousity) here in the Netherlands a couple of years back,

I can't believe anyone comparing them to u2.

They had definitely tuned to stone playing hits even I knew.

Not at all comparable to a U2 setlist.

Can you tell me specifically which Stones show you attended, so that I can compare the set-list with a U2 set-list on the 360 and Vertigo tours.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2010, 02:20:05 PM »
The Rolling Stones are known widely for their classic hits, and though they release new material it doesn't "make it."  U2 is famous for being the opposite -- releasing fresh, popular, important music with each new album.  Songs like Beautiful Day and Vertigo are "new classics" and I have a hard time believing that, after the popularity stumble of NLOTH, their next album won't have at least one hit single that enters along side those tunes. Personally, I feel like the Stones and U2 are quite opposite each other.

I think you'll find that U2 are widely known for their classic hits, too.

And wanting U2's next album to have at least one hit single shows that you obviously haven't learned the vital lesson; U2 striving for hit singles is a big reason why they don't make great cohesive albums like Zooropa and Pop anymore.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2010, 02:24:18 PM »
And who cares how you define it? If you think 360 is a soulless greatest hits show, then don't go and quit whining that it's no longer ZooTV. You people act like old men sitting around in the room talking about how everything was better in "the old days" and everything sucks today. I'm getting tired of all the whining here.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »
You people act like old men sitting around in the room talking about how everything was better in "the old days" and everything sucks today. I'm getting tired of all the whining here.

You call this whining? You want to hear whining, you should have been around back in the '90s. Now THAT was whining!

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2010, 02:41:19 PM »
Please, please, pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasePLEASE don't start breaking out Monkeys, Beach Boys, George Thorogood, RATT, and Witesnake tours and tally up the number of new songs in the rotation and Grammy nods!!!!  Stones were huge and alive, but they've been on a breathing machine for decades.  U2 have been alive and kicking all along.  Sure, they've had spikes on the EKG, but they come back strong each time.

Is there already a "The Dragging Rocks" discussion somewhere?  ;)

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2010, 02:48:50 PM »

1994.  At exactly the same stage in their careers as U2 are at now. ;)

And at the same stage as U2 releasing NLOTH which sold 4 million copies, The Stones released Voodoo Lounge which sold 6 million and won them a Grammy for best Rock Album - so hardly the case that "no one has cared for their recorded output for more than 20 years."

I think the only reason that people go to see a U2 show is because it's U2 and they put on a good live show of mainly hits and warhorses, just like the Stones.

We can equate 4 millions sold in 2009 with 6 millions sold in 1994 because... ?

U2 has won plenty of Grammys with ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Furthermore they had huge hits with BD and Vertigo which eclipse anything off Vodoo Lunge. And yes, no one has cared for Stones' output post 1980. See U2 which did well right up until NLOTH, and even that can be attributed to albums selling less for EVERYONE and having a weak lead single.

*edit Let's see, speaking of comparable notes, how much of the last album U2 plays 16 years from now when their career is where the Stones are now.

Some go to see the hits (of which 5 were pretty much on the bench) and because "it's U2", yes. But a lot less so compared to the Stones.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:02:49 PM by xy »

satellitedog01

« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »
You people act like old men sitting around in the room talking about how everything was better in "the old days" and everything sucks today. I'm getting tired of all the whining here.

You call this whining? You want to hear whining, you should have been around back in the '90s. Now THAT was whining!

LOL