Author Topic: 2010 Good Year for U2 Fans  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
2010 Good Year for U2 Fans
« on: December 26, 2010, 11:13:37 PM »
This was a good year for U2 fans.  Maybe one of the best non-album years ever. 

To recap:
360 Rose Bowl DVD
Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame DVD/download
Wide Awake In Europe EP
Artificial Horizon LP
Soon download from U2.com
Amazing Grace/Where the Streets Have No Name download from U2.com
New tour songs on Youtube

U2.com really put an effort in this year to make the membership fee worth it.  We got Soon and Amazing Grace/WTSHNN as downloads, the Wide Awake in Europe EP streamed (and grab-able for many people as a pure digital download) and Artificial Horizon; the best fan club release since Melon (IMO).

The Promenade

Re: 2010 Good Year for U2 Fans
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 02:28:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This was a good year for U2 fans.  Maybe one of the best non-album years ever. 

To recap:
360 Rose Bowl DVD
Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame DVD/download
Wide Awake In Europe EP
Artificial Horizon LP
Soon download from U2.com
Amazing Grace/Where the Streets Have No Name download from U2.com
New tour songs on Youtube

U2.com really put an effort in this year to make the membership fee worth it.  We got Soon and Amazing Grace/WTSHNN as downloads, the Wide Awake in Europe EP streamed (and grab-able for many people as a pure digital download) and Artificial Horizon; the best fan club release since Melon (IMO).
. Mmmmmm $40 for a cd and a few digital downloads which would have cost half that to buy in a shop if they were released. I'm no accountant but if doesn't sound like good value to me. You can find most of this material on the Internet for free. U2.com has, and always will be, a giant con for fans...

LittleDany

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 03:33:57 AM »
I agree, for me it was a good year as U2 fan.

I was to the 360 show - and finally got me a U2 shirt again :)
I could follow any other show thanks to twitter
a lot of interesting new material (meanwhile I really love the WAIE Mercy version)
tons of tour videos from youtube and bootlegs with unreleased songs (a big thank you to all those who make it possible!)

yes 50$ for a cd and some downloads. If you think of, what some of us spend on WAIE (a record most of us will never ever put on the turn table) - I don't think it's overpriced! The subscription cost me about €37-38, I paid €60 für WAIE and with this I got one of the real cheap ones!

The Promenade

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 04:03:10 AM »

a lot of interesting new material (meanwhile I really love the WAIE Mercy version)
tons of tour videos from youtube and bootlegs with unreleased songs (a big thank you to all those who make it possible!)

yes 50$ for a cd and some downloads. If you think of, what some of us spend on WAIE (a record most of us will never ever put on the turn table) - I don't think it's overpriced! The subscription cost me about €37-38, I paid €60 für WAIE and with this I got one of the real cheap ones!
. Would you buy a car or a house for double it's Market price? Organisations like u2 get very rich on 'the back of your kind if thought process. While maker you poorer...

LittleDany

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 04:15:04 AM »

. Would you buy a car or a house for double it's Market price? Organisations like u2 get very rich on 'the back of your kind if thought process. While maker you poorer...

I'd pay a price, I think it is worth it.

Really I'd rather had given U2 a 100 bucks for WAIE than throwing my money after some money-maker a** on ebay, but hell, what should we do? The prices for tickets did not double since U2 started, they raised about 4x or more - and we pay it. Even CDs got more expensive. We still buy them. And that's also not money an artist gets, but the record company. I payed 67 DM for POpmart. 360 was 114€ which is 220 DM!

And yes, 50$ is okay with me, since I been in fanclubs of other bands years ago and you get nothing - except a cheap copy-magazine, not worth the paper printed on. At u2.com at least you get something. You get a presale code (and yes, for many fans this is worth it), a discount code, a CD, downloads, videos, Willie's diary - take any other band, most of them don't even have an official fanclub or community and you get NOTHING at all.

But hey, no one forces you to join. I did, and I'm really looking forward to the next CD. Yes, U2.com makes profit. They have surely hundreds of employees - in more than one country, to keep the machine running that is needed for an organization like this band is. I never heard, that U2 or U2.com is a non profit company. The one who wouldn't try to make profit of a worthy pearl like U2, can throw the first rock.

The Promenade

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 04:29:42 AM »

I'd pay a price, I think it is worth it.

Really I'd rather had given U2 a 100 bucks for WAIE than throwing my money after some money-maker a** on ebay, but hell, what should we do? The prices for tickets did not double since U2 started, they raised about 4x or more - and we pay it. Even CDs got more expensive. We still buy them. And that's also not money an artist gets, but the record company. I payed 67 DM for POpmart. 360 was 114€ which is 220 DM!

And yes, 50$ is okay with me, since I been in fanclubs of other bands years ago and you get nothing - except a cheap copy-magazine, not worth the paper printed on. At u2.com at least you get something. You get a presale code (and yes, for many fans this is worth it), a discount code, a CD, downloads, videos, Willie's diary - take any other band, most of them don't even have an official fanclub or community and you get NOTHING at all.

But hey, no one forces you to join. I did, and I'm really looking forward to the next CD. Yes, U2.com makes profit. They have surely hundreds of employees - in more than one country, to keep the machine running that is needed for an organization like this band is. I never heard, that U2 or U2.com is a non profit company. The one who wouldn't try to make profit of a worthy pearl like U2, can throw the first rock.

WAIE wasn't part of a U2.com subscription. Many people are very unhappy with U2.com - they feel (and rightly so) that a band who claims to 'care' as much as U2 do, that U2.com is run badly and is very expensive. I've never had any problem getting tickets for any gigs without belonging to a fan club - and that includes GA tickets. In fact, Springsteen did a free pre sale for his tour. Most of the video material on U2.com is easily found on the internet. As are the cd's and downloads, although that opens up a wider debate about piracy.

But you're right, no one is forcing you to join. Any corporate psychologist will tell you how easy it is to get money out of people using the kinds of justifications you are proposing however...

LittleDany

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 04:31:11 AM »
So I sum up: everyone joining U2.com and paying stupid 50$ for a stupid CD is......yeah, stupid. Got it. Bye.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 07:55:45 AM »
My main point why it was good year for fans was because of the amount of material released by the band.  We got a lot this year.   As to U2.com, there are other benefits, such as the tickets.  But my main point about U2.com was that it was better than in years past, not that it was perfect.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 11:37:05 AM »
It's not been a vintage year for me because I'm still waiting for the new U2 album.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »
I think I'm learning a lesson here.  I've been very negative about the band and U2.com on other posts.  But when I try to throw the band some praise it gets nuked.  Maybe I was being more of an ass on those other posts then I should have been! 

At the end of the day it's just music.  I get mad at U2 sometimes because I know the greatness they can do.  But greatness is why I'm here.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 08:42:15 AM »
I think it was pretty good, not spectacular but better than 2008 ;)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 10:53:58 AM »
Although the years I really treasure are the ones when a new album comes out, what's unique about this particular stretch is that it is the first, and probably last, time that I will see U2 play live in three consecutive years. That kind of thing doesn't happen very often.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »

Really? Boy October War deluxe remasters interest me more than a DVD, some downloads, and the WAIE fiasco.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 03:52:54 PM »

Really? Boy October War deluxe remasters interest me more than a DVD, some downloads, and the WAIE fiasco.

Well imo  :o I think that WAIE is the best 10 bucks I've spent, a rare, numbered, vinyl only release ;D ;D. For the record I've recently purchased Boy and War deluxe remasters (for a lot cheaper than they originally were so I think 2010 is better but ???  Besides isn't the BOW Remasters a "money grubbing scheme" since most people have a lot of the bonus stuff and the rest was available on iTunes? I just bought the "new" stuff and am buying the physical pieces for completion sake.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 01:15:41 PM »
I probably have a different point of view since i couldnt get a WAIE, but even still, i think 08 was better.