Author Topic: Year End Question: What Was Your Best Year As a U2 Fan?  (Read 1842 times)

Online singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: Year End Question: What Was Your Best Year As a U2 Fan?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 11:14:03 PM »
1983 (God I feel old)

I saw them play in a 1000 capacity venue in Glasgow - the War Tour...Its why I'm typing this stuff today - that moment stayed with me...

2009...I finally lived the dream and made the trip to Dublin to see them play Croke Park...need i say more!  ;D

2010 - I finally made the break from UK/Ireland only U2 shows and went to 3 European shows - Turin, Paris and Rome. I saw the band in a whole new way..

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 11:18:21 PM »
I've got to go way back to the beginning in 1980 when they first played a club in NYC and I heard them for the first time. The excitement of hearing this "new" band was priceless and thought there have been other great moments, nothing matches this. I still remember bringing Boy on vinyl home to play after that! My "musical journey" had just begun! I also remember visiting Ireland 2 years later looking for Windmill Lane Studios to sign the original wall that is no longer there. All I had was a map and the people of the North side of Dublin to guide me there. Many of them told me not to hang around those parts after dark. Some didn't even know U2 at that point  :D  No internet and no Davey G U2/Dublin tour to take back then.  ;) That was also a highlight for me as a U2 fan.

Offline iluEdge

• Stateless
  • when you stop seeing beauty, you start growing old
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 11:36:37 PM »
2005 ~ I got to see Vertigo in Denver & Dallas...In Denver, when they played the opening notes of "Bad" I was so overwhelmed I cried.  I hadn't seen them since ZooTV in 1992 - which was a spectacle - but I was too young to appreciate the moment.  

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 03:09:19 AM »
1992-1993. Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Zoo TV tour era.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 06:19:55 AM »
2009 was amazing for me- really falling in love with U2, seeing them live for the *second* time but the first time I truly appreciated and knew it, hearing "Bad", my favourite song, for the first time.

But I have to give it to 2010, if only for the Torino concert. Paris was also amazing, but Turin was just phenomenal. My first time ever standing, and I got only four or five rows from the front, right between Bono and Edge, and then heard a load of songs for the first time, including Elevation and UTEOTW (Two I'd always wanted to hear), tour debut of HMTM, as well as the live debuts of North Star and Glastonbury. Most magical moments being Bono's entry to the utterly insane Stingray intro, Edge's bridge moving right over my head during the finale of UTEOTW and the entirety of Miss Sarajevo- from the way the Italian crowd sang along to every word of the Italian, to Bono switching one of the English verses into Italian just for the night, to the magical high note- and, most specially for me, when he lent over the bridge railing literally []right above[/i] where I was, while I was filming on my camera and sang down to us.

That night alone makes 2010 my U2 year!

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 07:31:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
*1989-1990, the (graduate school) year when I became a fan

Hey Chip!  That's really cool, we became fans right around the same time.  91 for me.  It's the first time I've seen anyone mention that time frame for coming on board!

I have to say, everyone's "best years" are really something.  I love reading all of them.  Uplifting!  As much thought as I've given this, I might end up having to steal Monicalea's answer - the best is yet to come!  The year I first heard Sunday Bloody Sunday and became a fan was obviously monumental.  My first show, in 2001, took my breath away.  Seeing them all walk in under full house lights!  Surreal.  They played my favorite song, Stay.  2009 should have been a big one, but it wasn't in the end.  I took my wife to her first ever U2 show (although she'd loved their music all her life), but the trip was a mini-disaster unfortunately.  We're going with a great friend to see two shows next year, so with a new album likely to come out at some point and the two shows, it could be a great year.

But I have a feeling the best year will be when we go to Ireland for the first time.  It's always been a dream, long before U2.  And if I happen to bump into Adam randomly and get to speak to him for a minute....well, then that'll be it, no questions asked.  (I guess this is all becoming a fantasy now!)

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »
I'd have to say 1985. It was the year I saw them live for the first time. I saw the UF tour and they blew my mind and have continued to blow my mind ever since.

2009.....it was the first time I saw U2 with major U2 fans. It was an incredible feeling. Plus it was the first time I was in GA and I have to tell you, that expierince was HEAVEN.....I couldn't talk for days from screaming and singing. It was utter joy!!

2011........I get to attend another show with SG....need I say more  ;D  I also get to attend the show with CGE and EF (my major major major U2 friends, one is seeing them 9 times in 2011) and if Sing joins us it would magical......almost October magical..........Plus I'm hoping that they play several UK shows because I'm there.....Dublin I'm hoping!!  ;D

hurricane hugo

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 08:48:05 AM »
so far, it's 1997.

#@!

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 11:35:07 AM »

It's 1994, for me.

My fandom had been steadily growing since 1990. But in 1994 I went to a record shop,
and saw "ZooTV - Live from Sidney", on video-cassette. It was too expensive, and the
shop owner told me he couldn't sell it to me, anyway; it was reserved for another client.

I went looking for it in other stores, with no luck. So I came back, and basically begged
the guy to sell me this precious item. He did. That concert made me a die-hard U2 fan.
Over the next year, I bought all the albums, and had a great time listening to them.

But my best year suddenly came to an end, when I heard "a new U2 album" was coming out.
I went and bought it immediately. That album was called Passengers...  :D

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:53:11 AM by DrummerBoy (Arg) »

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »
Either 2004, when I really delved into their back catalogue and discovered their 90's stuff. Really exciting time. Or 2009 - my anticipation for NLOTH after 4.5 years was almost unbearable. And for me they absolutely delivered with one of their best albums to date. Also saw them live for the first time and it was spectacular.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 04:27:48 PM »
For me, 1985.

The Unforgettable Fire was playing on the Radio, with Pride, Bad and TUF itself being featured. U2 on the front cover of Roloing Stone as "Band of the decade" and, of course, live aid.

That and the fact that I got to spend an entire afternoon with Bono at an art gallery in Dublin called the Grapevine Arts Center, where I was working! He stopped by, mullet, black hat and all, to review paintings by a Japanese artist who had survived the Nuclear explosion in Hiroshima.

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 07:50:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My best year as a U2 fan is yet to come. ;)

I hope this is true for me too.  So far, though, it's a tie between 1993 when I went to a Zoo TV Outside Broadcast show and 1997 when I was lucky enough to attend two Popmart shows.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »
2001... It was the first concert I went to... And I had second row seats on Edge's side. Awesome.

Though I'm hoping for an even better 2011 show as it seems I am now going to three shows...