Author Topic: And you give yourself away....  (Read 6258 times)

Offline bonogrl from Boston

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I had the feeling it was out of control
And you give yourself away....
« on: February 02, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »
I spent Saturday night with my husband watching my favorite clips from all of my U2 DVDs and at one point during Kite on U2 Go Home something occurred to me as I watched Bono sing his heart out the day after his father died....U2 have given so much of themselves to their fans and yet we still want more.  It's still not enough.  They have a family member get sick and yet they still go on tour.  They have a family member die and yet they still put on the show.  They have wives about to give birth and yet they still get on that stage and give us what we want.  And we feel entitled.  We feel like we deserve the best music and the best concert.  It just made me kind of sad.  When I have a bad day or something tragic going on in my life I want to hide from the world.  But they can't take a day off because they are sick or are in pain.  And then when they take too much time making an album we get upset.  And when the song isn't what we wanted we get upset.  When they don't allow us special fans to have special access to U2 tickets, we get upset.  U2 put their hearts onto the stage every night and into their music on every album.  I really appreciate it and that is why I love them so much. 

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
Re: And you give yourself away....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 10:29:21 AM »
Beautifully said and you are so correct!

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »
I agree 110%  :D. Their music always help me when I'm going through a rough patch and I'm also very appreciative of them. They're inspiring and comforting in so many ways. They have never failed at making us fans happy  :)

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 05:07:42 PM »
Well said!  I had a conversation with a stranger yesterday about the sense of entitlement EVERYONE seems to have these days.  (Someone had cut in front of him in line at Starbucks - not to order, just to pass through.  He commented that people used to say, "Excuse me," when they did this.)

When I'm feeling sorry for myself, I try to imagine something worse.  Or I listen to "Beautiful Day" - it never fails to put things into perspective.

Thank you, U2, for helping me to think about others, including you!

~L

Offline All I Want Is You 2

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »
Very thoughtful post Bonogrl from Boston!

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 05:48:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well said!  I had a conversation with a stranger yesterday about the sense of entitlement EVERYONE seems to have these days.  (Someone had cut in front of him in line at Starbucks - not to order, just to pass through.  He commented that people used to say, "Excuse me," when they did this.)

When I'm feeling sorry for myself, I try to imagine something worse.  Or I listen to "Beautiful Day" - it never fails to put things into perspective.

Thank you, U2, for helping me to think about others, including you!

~L
I always listen to Beautiful Day when I wake up in the morning. It kind of puts the "its a new day" thing in perspective for me by having a fresh start to my day. It makes everything better.  :)

luieu2

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 07:12:01 PM »
I spent Saturday night with my husband watching my favorite clips from all of my U2 DVDs and at one point during Kite on U2 Go Home something occurred to me as I watched Bono sing his heart out the day after his father died....U2 have given so much of themselves to their fans and yet we still want more.  It's still not enough.  They have a family member get sick and yet they still go on tour.  They have a family member die and yet they still put on the show.  They have wives about to give birth and yet they still get on that stage and give us what we want.  And we feel entitled.  We feel like we deserve the best music and the best concert.  It just made me kind of sad.  When I have a bad day or something tragic going on in my life I want to hide from the world.  But they can't take a day off because they are sick or are in pain.  And then when they take too much time making an album we get upset.  And when the song isn't what we wanted we get upset.  When they don't allow us special fans to have special access to U2 tickets, we get upset.  U2 put their hearts onto the stage every night and into their music on every album.  I really appreciate it and that is why I love them so much. 
what a great post ,probably the best i have read so far. thanx for sharing it with us bonogrl ;)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
I think it is the BEST post I've read her luieu2 !!!  Beautiful bonogrl!

Offline achtungespresso

• Running to Stand Still
  • I found grace, it's all that I found
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 07:48:11 PM »
You are so incredibly eloquent bonogrl. And I agree with your post completely! Thank you for sharing these lovely thoughts
 :)

Offline Starguitar

• Desert Rose
  • Thanks U2 & the 360 tour for the best night ever.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 08:20:38 PM »
Thanks for that exuberant passage, bonogrl. It's very true just how dedicated U2 is to their fans.   :)

luieu2

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 08:22:30 PM »
I think it is the BEST post I've read her luieu2 !!!  Beautiful bonogrl!
possibly

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
Reconnecting with PRIDE! (or maybe u have another)wh
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 11:51:56 PM »
Besides my posts, this is the best post Ive read. :) Seriously, it really is. I was recently rereading some of U2byU2, and was reading the part where the band talks bout Edge's daughter and the possibility of delaying or calling off the Vertigo Tour. Or Bono flying back home after every show to be with his dying dad. Amazing that people in here b**** and moan bout this and that. Be thankful their still around, and given us what we want. Great freakin music!

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 06:21:24 AM »
Whilst everything said is true; U2 still owe their loyal fans who buy their albums and merchandise great music. It's a 2-way street, they do extraordinary things because that's what's required to be the biggest (for me the best) band in the World. I think us true fans treat them with respect, whilst still having appropriately high expectations of them.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 07:43:10 AM »
It's easy to forget that they are actual human beings with families and needs and lives that don't always involve being a rock star. 

luieu2

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 08:03:53 AM »
U2 music is priceless.they bring me happines when I'm down and they lift me up everyday since 85 and i cant put a price on that .thanks U2 ;)