Zoo TV
Lovetown
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
War
October
Boy
Other Shows

Author Topic: Which U2 Tours Have You Attended  (Read 6833 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Which U2 Tours Have You Attended
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:19:07 PM »
Which U2 tours have you attended and what are your memories and thoughts about them?

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Re: Which U2 Tours Have You Attended
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:33:34 PM »
Just 360. Toronto 1. Show blew my mind. TONS of NLOTH tracks and rarities I never expected to hear live.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »
Lovetown - 2 shows as an 11 year old. Mind blowing but I don't remember the specifics of them really. Just remember thinking WOW.

Zoo TV - 4 shows as a 15 year old, 2 in Melbourne, Sydney minus Adam and Adelaide. Parents lent me cash and I caught the train from Melbourne with my cousin. Remember lots about these shows, was so absorbed by the whole thing. Remember the first Melbourne show as being the daddy of them all. Right down the front, and amazing crowd atmosphere and what a performance.

Popmart - 3 shows as a 20 year old. Home to probably my favourite U2 show ever, Sydney. You've heard me wax lyrical about that show before so I won't again. Melbourne was a great show, at a terrible venue, as was Brisbane. Sydney though was the dogs bo****ks. Reserved seats back in the stands, I just ran down to the front of the B-stage and ducked security.

Vertigo - 7 shows as a 28 year old. Now I had the cash to do a few shows, and a thing called annual leave. My first overseas jaunt (albeit New Zealand) and in support of an album I loved. My first effort at 'lining up' for general admission (prior shows had all been reserved seats).

360 - 9 shows as a 31/32 year old. A trip to the US for Vegas and the Rosebowl, followed by 7 shows in Australia. Two really contrasting sets, Bono's voice on the Aussie leg was as good as I'd heard since Zoo TV, and a leave pass from my long suffering wife.

My favourite show of them all? Popmart Sydney

My favourite tour of them all? Zoo TV I'd say. But how to split them...

I've often wondered if my dislike for ATYCLB is born of not seeing elevation... or if I'm not that fussed about missing Elevation as a result of not liking the album?

Slane is one of my favourite shows on DVD ever, but then it wasn't strictly an Elevation gig I guess...

They're probably playing as many ATYCLB songs in 360 as they did at Slane... perhaps... Someone will look that up for me.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 03:54:05 PM by briscoetheque »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 03:51:57 PM »
I've only attended one show, and it was on the 360 tour, London, 2009.
It was an incredible experience - the 'stagnant' setlist (which i had been following nightly anyway) and grandiose stage didn't bother me, i was just completely taken in by seeing the band i loved in person for the first time. In fact, i actually liked the stage, but that may have been because i was really high up, and it offered an extra dimension to the performance almost in light of the band being so far from me.

But the claw really did strike a chord with me from the moment i saw it. It was the first time i had been in a stadium too, so the entire visible landscape was alien to me. Wembley stadium is absolutely huge, it was like being in a city on another planet, with this huge spaceship at the centre.
The vision of the claw was the first cool thing. Next was the mexican waves - 90,000 people swelling up and down was extraordinary, probably a sight i'll remember all my life.

When u2 came on, the build up was a work of art.
The P.A. music stopped, space oddity came on, twice as loud.
Then 'Soon' came on, even louder.
Then Larry walked on, the entire audience screaming, thousands of camera lights flashing everywhere. When he started drumming, the noise hit me right in the chest, it was so powerful! As the rest of the band came on, the cheers grew louder, as did the music, and when Bono strutted on, Wembley went absolutely bananas. I couldn't believe i was seeing my heroes in the flesh, it was almost surreal!
They put on a fantastic show, Bono's voice was phenomenal, even by 360 standards (particularly during Breathe and NLOTH), and they played songs i was dying to hear, like NLOTH, Beautiful day, and most of all Until the End of the World and Ultraviolet, both of which had a special significance for my brother (who was there with me) and i.

Halfway through the show, my other brother (who is living in spain) texted me, saying "Beautiful ocean to my left. Spanish cities to my right. Amazing sunset right in front of me". I figured he was bragging, so i texted back "45,000 people to my left. 45,000 to my right. U2 right i front of me".  :D

The concert was brilliant, and well performed, i was overjoyed to finally see my favourite band live, and i left the stadium shaking with adrenaline. I loved it.  :)

That being said, perhaps because of my inexperience with U2 concerts i don't appreciate how much better the other tours were? I've heard a lot of talk of the 360 tour being a bit inferior, and i suppose, had i attended more tours, i might have found the show to have an unimpressive setlist, and an alienating stage?

Tumbling Dice, wich tours have you seen? What were they like in comparison to the 360 tour?  :)

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 03:54:38 PM »
TD couldn't compare anything to the 360 tour... ;)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
TD couldn't compare anything to the 360 tour... ;)

:D What's that supposed to mean  ;)
Briscoetheque, that's an impressive number of shows! I'd be curious to hear what you though of Bono's voices on each tour you saw?

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »
briscotheque: You got to see Lemon and Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car live in full MacPhisto glory?

I hate you with jealousy.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 04:52:14 PM »
I've only been to Elevation (Cleveland, Ohio, USA)... And I've been a "fan" since 1985 (at age 10, yes) and a full-fledged fan since AB when I was a sophomore in high school (14-15?). :( I face-palm myself daily when I realize I was old enough to go to Zoo and didnt. Same goes for PopMart. Bleh.

Anyway, going to THREE shows this year!! But I didnt count them in the poll since I havent been to them yet....

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 05:57:43 PM »
ZOO TV - 3 shows.  The Philadelphia Outside Broadcast show still ranks as my favorite since I was able to catch the entire acoustic B-stage set (Angel, WLCTT, AIWIY, Satellite of Love) a few feet from Adam.
POP Mart - 4 shows  Visually the best thing I've ever seen.
Elevation - 4 shows  I caught one Post-9/11 show in Philly and it was an emotional one.
Vertigo - 1  Nice set and the return of 40.
360 - 1 I caught one Giants Stadium show and I can't wait for more.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 06:46:06 PM »
briscotheque: You got to see Lemon and Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car live in full MacPhisto glory?

3 times baby...

Jamie - as far as I know TD is not going to any 360 shows. Boycotting. Or not interested.

TD - that still true?

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »
So you got to see 30% of the total performance histories of those two songs.

Hate you! :P

u2kennesaw,ga

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 06:57:31 PM »
Only 360  :P

Atlanta and.............well you can see  ::)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »

3 times baby...

Jamie - as far as I know TD is not going to any 360 shows. Boycotting. Or not interested.

TD - that still true?

It's true that stadiums are putting me off.

Transplant the 360 show to arenas with the same configuration and a downsized Claw and I probably would have seen multiple shows this time around.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »
2 Vertigo shows 1 360 show, with 2 more more in July.

The best was Vertigo at Madison Square Garden.  Best day of my entire life.  I had GA tics along with my husband, nephew and his friend.  Arrived at MSG about 1:00, we were about 36th in line.  That was when they scanned your tic to see if you got into the ellipse.  My hubby, nephew and friend got scanned first, no dice.  Then I got scanned and it came up ellipse!  I asked if all four of us could get in and they said yes.  We got front row right in front of The Edge.  Nothing in front of us but stage.  It was amazing!!  I will always have fond memories of that special day back on Oct. 11, 2005!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 07:38:25 PM »
2 Vertigo shows 1 360 show, with 2 more more in July.

The best was Vertigo at Madison Square Garden.  Best day of my entire life.  I had GA tics along with my husband, nephew and his friend.  Arrived at MSG about 1:00, we were about 36th in line.  That was when they scanned your tic to see if you got into the ellipse.  My hubby, nephew and friend got scanned first, no dice.  Then I got scanned and it came up ellipse!  I asked if all four of us could get in and they said yes.  We got front row right in front of The Edge.  Nothing in front of us but stage.  It was amazing!!  I will always have fond memories of that special day back on Oct. 11, 2005!

I admit I would have liked to see a Vertigo show in an arena but by the time U2 made their way to Europe they were playing in stadiums. ::)  Anyway, no great loss.