Author Topic: POP: The High Watermark Of U2's Frustration and Their Most Turbulent Period  (Read 14217 times)

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
Re: POP: The High Watermark Of U2's Frustration and Their Most Turbulent Period
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 10:59:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Does it really matter what the band thinks of the album?

Every band when they release a new album: "this is the best thing we've ever done, this is truly the album we were meant to make"

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 11:04:28 AM »

Every band when they release a new album: "this is the best thing we've ever done, this is truly the album we were meant to make"

Exactly. And isn't it a great feeling that our beloved band has so many incredible fans with such a wide range of tastes? One of my favorite things in the whole world, and some of the best discussions I have ever had in my life have been in GA lines at U2 shows. The discussions I have had on the music of our band have been priceless. Favorites, not so favorites, their best, their worst (is there one?  ;)). Would't the world be a boring place (and this forum too) if all U2 fans (and non fans) had the same fovorite and agreed on their best?

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 11:15:38 AM »

That is standard practice for all bands to say with their latest album.  Curiously enough, U2 didn't say that about POP during their Q Magazine interviews.  As you can see from the quote of Mullen from 1997, even he did not know what POP was about.  And in 2000, he definitely admitted how he was struggling to describe POP during those POP interview days.

Also, the significant thing here is not how POP ranks among U2's favorite albums.  But more about the fact that they all consider POP "unfinished" which makes POP better compared to the Achtung Baby Outtakes.

Cheers,

J

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
huh?

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 11:27:43 AM »

That is standard practice for all bands to say with their latest album.  Curiously enough, U2 didn't start saying that until after they started making weaker albums like atyclb

Here's what they said about Pop

Oh, and your @u2 peer group has spoken, Pop is better.

Cheers,

J

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 11:34:40 AM »

there's really little comparison to the Achtung Baby outtakes, you're talking about formalized songs as opposed to Bono wandering through melody ideas, basic drum and bass parts with veryy infrequent polish or post production.

That is standard practice for all bands to say with their latest album.  Curiously enough, U2 didn't start saying that until after they started making weaker albums like atyclb

Here's what they said about Pop

Oh, and your @u2 peer group has spoken, Pop is better.

Cheers,

J

Offline Whoah10115

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 12:08:02 PM »
Pop is one of the great records. I hear the problems in production, and I realize things were rushed. But the "finished" versions of Discotheque and Staring At The Sun don't touch the originals. The new version of Gone might actually be better, except it's missing that great Larry drum part. I don't understand why that was removed. Also, I just realized a few weeks ago how spectacularly multilayered Edge's guitar is on the album cut.

ATYCLB is an astonishing record. I've gone back and forth and which I think is better. But they, along with The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, are the best U2 have done so far. At its best, lyrically, it might rank higher. Though I do agree if they had another two weeks or so the album could have been even better. But another few years and they lost the plot on what is better. Though I still appreciate the new mixes.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 12:38:18 PM »
Pop is a great, great album. Anyone who judges music on sales and awards can kiss my.......whats wrong with you? Music to me is the greatest proof that we are more than flesh and blood and your judging it by money and fixed, right wing sponsored award shows????

Ill judge it by its ability to move ME. The texture, melodies and lyrics on that record are outstanding. It still sounds great today! Its dark, dense and funky, but its definitely NOT for cowboys.

As discussed in another thread its so-called 'unfinished' state is part of its charm. Its a brave album for U2 to put out, put any other band in that position and a return to tried and tested formulas would certainly be the result. Im proud of what U2 did at that time.

Lets hope that NLOTH can join the likes of Unforgetable Fire, Achtung Baby & Pop - Not a Grammy between them, but brave, heartbreaking, expansive soulful music that will always stand as the best evidence of why U2 are up there with the greats.

Offline TheWaqman

• Headache in a Suitcase
just goes to show how true the old adage about musicians being the worst people to judge their own music is.

Pop routinely beats out atyclb in fan polls.

Yes! QFT! To be honest I think it's pretty lame how they treat Pop like some crap album and had to tweak all the songs. It's miles above Atomic Bomb and All that you can't leave behind.

Same people who hated Pop are probably also the same idiots who hated Kid A.

An Cat Dubh

just goes to show how true the old adage about musicians being the worst people to judge their own music is.

Pop routinely beats out atyclb in fan polls.

Yes! QFT! To be honest I think it's pretty lame how they treat Pop like some crap album and had to tweak all the songs. It's miles above Atomic Bomb and All that you can't leave behind.

Same people who hated Pop are probably also the same idiots who hated Kid A.

Hey Wagman - no idiots on here, just people with their differing opinions  :) Lets all be nice.
Agree with your first sentence though, completely.

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 01:20:55 PM »
can someone explain the "changes in the songs"  Has there been a re-issue?

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 01:48:26 PM »
In the best of 1990-2000 album, the Pop songs were tweaked. Including inexplicably removing the "boom-chas" from Discotheque. I think most fans were underwhelmed at the remixes; Pop was excellent as it was. Now the Popmart Tour is a different issue ...

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 02:01:06 PM »
In the best of 1990-2000 album, the Pop songs were tweaked. Including inexplicably removing the "boom-chas" from Discotheque. I think most fans were underwhelmed at the remixes; Pop was excellent as it was. Now the Popmart Tour is a different issue ...

What was wrong with Popmart? Biggest regret in my life was missing this tour (work reasons) - but from the numerous DVD's & videos and the 32 live bootlegs I have from that tour - It's AWESOME - think of these for a moment - Please leading into Streets, Mofo opening the show after a great impression of Mike Tyson, by Bono, Edges Karaoke, Miami live - the screen, the arch, the mirrorball lemon - UNREAL! Everything about it. Did not better ZooTV, but pushed it damn close.
(And yes - out of all those bootlegs I have, half are from the US and half from the rest of the world, and because of awful audience participation and very low crowds/attendance - the US shows were not as good (except for the last date in Seattle - awesome show!)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 02:09:09 PM »
I thought it was very fun and entertaining. But it was just daft imho. I thought ZooTV was eccentric, but also a work of genius. I can't say the same about Popmart. And Bono's vocals were a bit iffy at times. It does seem however, that after the first few shows it got progressively better. A U2 concert's always special, but sometimes when I'm looking back at Popmart I question what the relevance in it was. I'm not sure anybody knew, the band included.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 02:12:52 PM »
I thought it was very fun and entertaining. But it was just daft imho. I thought ZooTV was eccentric, but also a work of genius. I can't say the same about Popmart. And Bono's vocals were a bit iffy at times. It does seem however, that after the first few shows it got progressively better. A U2 concert's always special, but sometimes when I'm looking back at Popmart I question what the relevance in it was. I'm not sure anybody knew, the band included.

I hear you, great response, and your last sentence - I totally agree! But that kinda made it exciting too. Glad we can have an intelligent converasation though on this.
Roll on the next tour  :)