Author Topic: POP: The High Watermark Of U2's Frustration and Their Most Turbulent Period  (Read 14221 times)

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
Re: POP: The High Watermark Of U2's Frustration and Their Most Turbulent Period
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 02:15:41 PM »
Regardless of the Relevancy or message, some of the latter performances rank with U2's best EVER.

Santiago and Leeds come to mind, and Sarajevo is carried along on emotion alone, I've never heard anything like it before, Bono's voice was just completely dead.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 02:21:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Regardless of the Relevancy or message, some of the latter performances rank with U2's best EVER.

Santiago and Leeds come to mind, and Sarajevo is carried along on emotion alone, I've never heard anything like it before, Bono's voice was just completely dead.

I have both the bootlegs, you can hardly hear Bono sing because his voice is so shot. Brilliant! The crowds were awesome  :)
Fantastic shows, all three you mention.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 02:25:19 PM »
And Edge singing Sunday Bloody Sunday was a nice surprise.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 02:36:01 PM »
Yes, second best version of this song, after Rattle & Hum version (IMHO)

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »
"Their most turbulent period"???

And what About Adam not playing in Sydney?

And what about the fights during the recording of Achtung Baby?

Look mate, you don't like POP, ok. But don't try to converts those who like it. YOU ARE TIRING!!

U2 have made a regression in their music because they saw the idiot you have in your profile pic live , playing adolescent rock and they wanted to be as "cool" as him. And Jovi said that on Q as well. And if that's true, that the biggest band in the world get inspiration from a moron is not turbulent. It's pathetic!

Offline achtungespresso

• Running to Stand Still
  • I found grace, it's all that I found
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 04:20:32 PM »
Some people will say that ATYCLB is the best, some will say that Pop is. I personally think it's a matter of personal opinion.
As Oscar said on the Office: "When people debate they simply get even more entrenched in their own views."

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 04:30:49 PM »
"Their most turbulent period"???

And what About Adam not playing in Sydney?

And what about the fights during the recording of Achtung Baby?

Look mate, you don't like POP, ok. But don't try to converts those who like it. YOU ARE TIRING!!

U2 have made a regression in their music because they saw the idiot you have in your profile pic live , playing adolescent rock and they wanted to be as "cool" as him. And Jovi said that on Q as well. And if that's true, that the biggest band in the world get inspiration from a moron is not turbulent. It's pathetic!

In Rock, turbulence can great. See any interview with the Who, U2's arguments with Eno during JT, the constant friction between Lennon/McCartney, the frequent coming-to-blows between Ulrich and Hetfield, Page or Keef's drug problems, having to record in a freezing, damp run down hotel with electricity coming in from an outside generator (deep purple), dealing with a death in the band and a new guy with writer's block (Back in Black), the list goes on and on

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 04:31:34 PM »
In the best of 1990-2000 album, the Pop songs were tweaked. Including inexplicably removing the "boom-chas" from Discotheque. I think most fans were underwhelmed at the remixes; Pop was excellent as it was. Now the Popmart Tour is a different issue ...

They rerecorded parts of them, made them more like the tunes on all that you can't leave behind. I thought they were fine the way they were.

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 04:32:23 PM »
Some people will say that ATYCLB is the best, some will say that Pop is. I personally think it's a matter of personal opinion.
As Oscar said on the Office: "When people debate they simply get even more entrenched in their own views."

true but my real point in here is, please  don't try to make me feel whatI don't feel. It's like believe in God: some people do, some people don't,. like me. They chose to believe, they have been taught in believing, I haven't. Please don't try to MAKE ME BELIEVE because, If I don't have a feeling for that, I CAN'T BELIEVE!!!!!!

and the "most turbulent period" bit was also over the top. A core U2 fan who doesn't know about U2...

Rubbish.

Offline Zoonationalist

• Refugee
  • www.themarinerwritings.wordpress.com
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 01:20:36 AM »

Does it really matter what the band thinks of the album?

Every band when they release a new album: "this is the best thing we've ever done, this is truly the album we were meant to make"

there's really little comparison to the Achtung Baby outtakes, you're talking about formalized songs as opposed to Bono wandering through melody ideas, basic drum and bass parts with veryy infrequent polish or post production.

That is standard practice for all bands to say with their latest album.  Curiously enough, U2 didn't start saying that until after they started making weaker albums like atyclb

Here's what they said about Pop

Oh, and your @u2 peer group has spoken, Pop is better.

Cheers,

J

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 02:34:18 AM »
i just don't see the point of this thread at all ... what has a few quotes on the bands opinion of an album 12 years ago got to do with educating new fans ? how will this prepare them for a new album ? for me i just don't get the whole pop wasn't finished thing.okay they made a mistake with trying to start a huge world tour while still finishing of the album.but the songs don't seem half finished for me !please,do you feel loved,discotheque,mofo .staring at the sun.these songs don't have the feel of being half finished! its not my favourite u2 album but there are some great songs on there for me. if anything after this album the band might have become abit to comfortable and played it safe and not pushed themselves on the last two albums , but thats a matter of opinion .
as for worldwide sales ! they don't mean sh*t,anybody who is a REAL fan of u2 know that they don't make albums to sell 16 milion copies ,if it appeals to that many people then thats great but u2 don't write albums to see how many they can sell, based on that everything has been a failure since 1987,which it hasn't they make records i hope to keep striving to make the very best record they can do ! i wished you would stop quoting album sales as your argument for saying an album is better than another !
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:47:32 AM by spanner »

Offline U2#1-War

• Stateless
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 04:30:41 AM »
U2 will always win Grammys and sell millions of records b/c of there name! Which is totally fine b/c they have earned that! cause they are the worlds greatest band!!! So going off of Grammy's and sales is just stupid!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2009, 05:40:14 AM »
Again, all I posted are excerpts from three far-removed issues of Q magazine.

Those are the bands words, not mine.

Those are the words of the Q writer, not mine.

Don't shoot the messenger.  I am just trying to provide some education and clarity for the post-POP U2 fans who aren't too familiar with POP.

Cheers,

J

Offline U2#1-War

• Stateless
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2009, 05:51:32 AM »
That message was for you. You are always sayin you go by record sales and awards. ...... POP was U2's worst material, which was way better than most bands

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2009, 06:01:15 AM »
Again, all I posted are excerpts from three far-removed issues of Q magazine.

Those are the bands words, not mine.

Those are the words of the Q writer, not mine.

Don't shoot the messenger.  I am just trying to provide some education and clarity for the post-POP U2 fans who aren't too familiar with POP.

Cheers,

J

I shoot you because a sentence taken out of its context may mean a trillion things.

Education is one thing, manipulation, another. Put the whole articles if you wanna educate someone. And if the newbies to u2 don't know about Pop, it's their problem. In 1986/87 most Cure fans attending gigs thought that their first ever record was "Standing on the beach - the singles". But it's not the band fault...

I insist. if Pop doens't work for you, cool. The following records doesn't work or me.