Author Topic: Next album is gonna be 'safe'?  (Read 7685 times)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
Next album is gonna be 'safe'?
« on: January 16, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »
With news that Project Zero One (the Danger Mouse album) has songs that "are in the sound of u2 and sound pretty good, so no critical changing and good insurance", it seems like u2 have opted to release an album that is safe, that has very 'classic' sounding songs that are guaranteed to perform well commercially.

This would suggest that P01 is more like the second ATYCLB rather than the second Achtung Baby. In response to the failed experimentalism of NLOTH, u2 have decided to 'go back to basics', which is frustrating to me, given that i think the reason NLOTH flopped wasn't because of it's strangeness, but rather u2's contradicting aims of desiring commercial and experimental aims, which left the album to fend for itself with lame tunes like Boots.

Sure, we haven't actually heard the songs yet, but it sounds like u2 have written new material with the intention of success via safety, rather than just writing good tunes and embracing a new sound.

Of course, i'm jumping to conclusions, and for all i know, these songs are actually amazing. I've realised that above 'safe' and 'experimental', the songs just need to be good! So, if they accomplish that, i won't mind if the new album doesn't expand u2's horizons much.

Given the title, as well as it's description as a 'rock' album, it seems likely that P01 will be back-to-basics, and guaranteed to sell, whereas the follow up club album will be more experimental.

In any case, what do you guys make of this news?
Do you think it means we're getting another 'All that you can't leave behind'?
If so, is that a good thing?

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
Re: Next album is gonna be 'safe'?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 07:44:26 PM »
I'm way too much of a u2-geek to not be suffering in anticipation, desperate for any scrap of news that i can analyse for days on end.
It's because i'm sick and bed ridden, so my u2-fascination is even more elevated than normal  :-[

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »
Yeah, it's a real problem...

... but hey, at least i'm not a normal person, who for some reason wastes their free time commenting on threads which they find unnecessary.

;)  ;D

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:05:21 PM »
That's true, i won't argue with that, miami66.
However, i'm not breaking any forum rules, i'm not being a **** to anyone, i'm just posting on u2 forums to talk about u2. A new album is due soon, so i'm excited about it. I'm not ashamed to admit i'm enthusiastic about it.
And i think this piece of news offered an interesting insight into what the new songs could sound like. But hey, if the OP doesn't interest you, i don't mind you not taking part in the discussion.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 08:19:24 PM »
1: I never said you said that, i was making the point that i'm in my rights, even if you don't like it.
2: I'm just defending my right to post. You were the one being snide. But we can agree to disagree on this.
3: That's true. I can talk to even more fans than if i stuck to one. We've already established i'm enthusiastic. So?
4: Ironically, you point out my enthusiasm for posting, yet take the time and effort to come online merely to criticise me for doing so. Hell, at least i came online for fun.
5: I never said that my OP contained determined facts. I was speculating, based on info we have.
6: I never said you were. Feel free to rip on me for being enthusiastic, i'd rather be enthustastic than fight with you.

We're both u2 fans, nothing else really matters, let's just be friendly, ok?  :)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:30:54 PM »
Right now, that's clearly not what you're doing... you've posted 5 times already in a thread you think is unnecessary, taking the time and effort to point out how you think it's negative (in whatever way) of me to spend so much time and effort on this stuff. And i'm not worrying, i'm trying to have an interesting discussion. I'm sorry if i've come off as a troll or fear monger to you, that's not my intention at all.

However, i see you're not interested in having a productive or friendly discussion, and i have no interest in having an argument with someone.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 08:33:45 PM »
Such is the circle of life.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »
It's very possible that a mod will see this thread soon and lock it for being too off topic or whatever, so you'll get your way - a thread you thought unnecessary shall be closed down.  :)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 08:35:57 PM »
This just in.

Edge burns himself on the stove and screams. Bono pens a new song, "Burning Cities of Love" a new track that had been written last night and was played multiple times outside their french home.

A possibily drunk passerby said it sounds great but is "safe U2."

=====================================================================================
Meanwhile on atu2

Burning Cities of Love = Safe Hit Single ?
by JamieTheEdgeFan

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This just in.

Edge burns himself on the stove and screams. Bono pens a new song, "Burning Cities of Love" a new track that had been written last night and was played multiple times outside their french home.

A possibily drunk passerby said it sounds great but is "safe U2."

=====================================================================================
Meanwhile on atu2

Burning Cities of Love = Safe Hit Single ?
by JamieTheEdgeFan

Son of a gun, that was kind of fun ;D

Boom Cha!

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 08:43:07 PM »
::)

Geez, miami, why do you have to argue with everyone?

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 08:43:57 PM »
Posting in this thread has been very unpleasant and actually the first time people have been hostile to me online, but i don't regret it. I don't regret starting the discussion, and i'll do so again and again. You can make fun of me for being enthusiastic, but it won't work, because i'd always rather be enthusiastic than hostile like you.
Well, at the very least you've made yourself clear about only wanting to be hostile, not productive or friendly. Thank you for doing so, because now i know not to waste time with you, and won't be responding to you anymore.
I'm gonna go and be enthusiastic, and happy. Maybe make that thread about Edge's burn wound.
I hope you find happiness being aggressive.
Take care  :)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 08:45:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Posting in this thread has been very unpleasant and actually the first time people have been hostile to me online, but i don't regret it. I don't regret starting the discussion, and i'll do so again and again. You can make fun of me for being enthusiastic, but it won't work, because i'd always rather be enthusiastic than hostile like you.
Well, at the very least you've made yourself clear about only wanting to be hostile, not productive or friendly. Thank you for doing so, because now i know not to waste time with you, and won't be responding to you anymore.
I'm gonna go and be enthusiastic, and happy. Maybe make that thread about Edge's burn wound.
I hope you find happiness being aggressive.
Take care  :)

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings on a u2 fan forum.  :-[

Try to have a good night  :)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 08:45:38 PM »
 :)

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 08:49:54 PM »
Are we moving forward or do I need to delete more posts?