Author Topic: Next album is gonna be 'safe'?  (Read 7688 times)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
Re: Next album is gonna be 'safe'?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »
I think we'll be good.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
we'll be good. I think it's wonderful to see such passion :).
a bit overdone? who cares! whatever happened to understanding? it should be a basic courtesy in this instance, seeing as we're all excited for the new album, even if you did find it annoying.
Which I don't.
Anyway,
I don't think we should so hastily say this means the album is safe.

Look at Return of the Stingray guitar, and the other new songs! they're quite unique and UnU2, and they haven't even done full band versions of some yet.
the chord progression in north star isn't very U2ey.

I honestly think this next album will absolutely NAIL it. and there will be some new sounds and ideas too. Im confident.

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »
Unfortunately, Im not excited about the new album at all.  I read every news clip I could get my hands on leading up to No Line...Im guessing over a two year stretch.  I thought the previous two releases were ok, bit a bit lackluster.  I fully expected them to get back on track with No Line.  I dont think Ive ever wanted an album to be great as much as I did with No Line.  Ive gotten over the disappointment of how bad No Line is (to me anyway).  But what I have taken away from it is that U2 no longer has a free pass from me; I will not buy their album day of release ever again (something Ive been doing since 1987).  I will have to hear it first.  If its good I will buy it.  If not I wont.  My prediction?  I wont be buying it.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 09:56:35 PM »
Now this thread is hilarious. Looks like Jamie was fighting with himself throughout the first page...

I hope you're wrong Jamie, but you may well be right.

U2 have shown they get spooked when things don't go the way they'd hoped commercially. But the industry has changed a lot, the strength of 'the album' no longer has much to do with sales. History shows with almost all bands that the ability to have a commercially successful, critically successful, and ardent-fanbase-successful release gets exponentially more difficult with every year that passes.

Every pundit wants to be the 'first' to say 'U2 are past it', many have done it in the past 15 years and been wrong, but they'll keep on saying it.

The people that buy music aren't the ones who'll buy U2 stuff.

Ignoring the charts would be a good start.

Striving for singles, rather than letting good songs come out and prove themselves, would be another.

I'm not sure U2 know how to do this - I think they started down this path with No Line and ended up panicking and laying down I'll Go Crazy, Stand up Comedy and
Get on your Boots.

Jamie I do hope you're wrong, but I too hold fears that you may not be.

It's all speculation though, but it's a forum. Let's speculate.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 04:01:31 AM »
the main criticism bono had with no line was that "it wasn't light on it's feet". so with this new album, don't expect any 'heavy' tunes in the vein of moment of surrender, unknown caller, breathe, no line, cedars and white as snow. in other words expect throwaway songs like vertigo (glastonbury), and up-tempo, breezy, catchy tunes like gnarles barkley's 'crazy'.

think i'm gonna prefer the 'heavy' album over one that's light on it's feet.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 04:14:50 AM »
I think the next album is going to be the best U2 album since Achtung Baby.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 04:25:16 AM »
it has the potential to be one of their best with dangermouse on board, but i think they want his gnarles barkley sound rather than his work with beck to resonate with this album. that's the impression i'm getting anyway, with bono still striving for the 'hits'. it'll be a shame if my prediction is correct.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 04:35:45 AM »
Nice to wake up to some responses to the original post  :)

Aqua, you're right about the new songs sounding quite new for u2 (i hadn't thought about the chords for NS), so if that's an indicator of things to come, then i'm hopeful, and the article did mention new sounds for the band... however, the same article mentioned songs being previewed for journalists as not including any of those debuted last year, we'll have to wait and see.

Briscotheque, after sleeping on it, i think that it's very likely P01 will be more of a basic, clear-cut rock album, without the strangeness of NLOTH. That means the songs won't have ambient minute long introductions (magnificent, UC), or completely change pace half way through (Fez), or rely on synths/effects (Magnificent), but rather be more straightforward. However, i don't think that means the songs will be like atyclb, firstly because i simply don't think u2 would make the same album twice in such a way, and secondly because of evidence like Adam's description, plus songs like Stingray etc.
I think when the songs were described as "in the sound of u2 and sound pretty good, so no critical changing and good insurance", it just means they're catchy, head-bumping tunes rather than ones that make you contemplate... this could be a bad thing  depending on how much you loved NLOTH, but obviously P01 is going for a different approach.
So i think the new songs will be less meditative, and contemplative, but still with an experimental edge, and an emphasis on being good and catchy. (oh and yeah, i totally have a split personality on that first page  :D )

pfctsqr, if you didn't like No Line, then you'll probably like P01... it seems to have been made exactly for people who were disappointed with their last effort  :)

Miami, i think it's wise of you to expect up-tempo songs rather than any 'heavy' tunes, but i don't think it will necessarily be a bad thing - it will be full of tracks like One, Vertigo, The Fly, EBTTR, etc... an album designed to show u2 having fun, rather than 'on the theme of pilgrimage'.

From what i can glean from all the evidence so far, the new album will be less experimental only in comparison to NLOTH. That doesn't mean it will be full of cheesy acoustic ballads, or dull rock songs. I think they'll still have a new style to add to their sound, and it will sound great... but this album will be 'airborne' rather than 'heavy', as Bono and Miami both put it. Emphasis on fun tracks, not deep ones.
I say bring it on! It will be refreshing to hear!  :)

LittleDany

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 04:51:52 AM »
You should get better soon, so you maybe worry less about the new album  :D

Basic rock? The new songs sound like that. Why not! U2 don't need to explore unseen things all the time. That can get boring, too.

Just take it easy (I know, easier said than done) and see what's coming. We can't change it - I'd say the songs are already recorded. Did they ever disappoint your expects for any of the past records? So, just wait and see  ;)

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 05:07:14 AM »
I'd like to point out that a "safe" U2 album is more interesting and genuine that anything most contemporary bands can come up with.  I know lots of people don't like "In a Little While", but I can't imagine any other band at the moment pulling off that rock/soul vibe.  As long as the songs are good thats what counts.  No sense in taking a new direction if the muse isn't there. 

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 05:37:35 AM »
I'm hoping Danger Mouse took them to Sun Studios in Memphis.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 05:38:52 AM »
We don't know what the next U2 album is gonna sound like until we actually play it and that's a big part of the excitement.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Striving for singles, rather than letting good songs come out and prove themselves, would be another.

I'm not sure U2 know how to do this - I think they started down this path with No Line and ended up panicking and laying down I'll Go Crazy, Stand up Comedy and
Get on your Boots.

I agree with this, except that I think with the relative commercial failure of NLOTH, U2 have finally realized this.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 06:04:22 AM »
We don't know what the next U2 album is gonna sound like until we actually play it and that's a big part of the excitement.

Get on your Boots.

I agree with this, except that I think with the relative commercial failure of NLOTH, U2 have finally realized this.

In a way this I think was the U2 formula in 1988 and 1993 with Rattle And Hum and Zooropa and this new album, if it happens, will come at a similar point for the band. 

We have the best shot in years of seeing a more experimental album. 

u2kennesaw,ga

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 06:09:14 AM »
How do we know its gonna be titles "Project Zero One"

I like the name though

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 06:31:47 AM »

Get on your Boots.

Perhaps, and I hope so, but their comments aren't indicative of that.  :-\