Author Topic: Next album is gonna be 'safe'?  (Read 7689 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Next album is gonna be 'safe'?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 06:35:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We don't know what the next U2 album is gonna sound like until we actually play it and that's a big part of the excitement.

The people that buy music aren't the ones who'll buy U2 stuff.

Ignoring the charts would be a good start.

Striving for singles, rather than letting good songs come out and prove themselves, would be another.

I'm not sure U2 know how to do this - I think they started down this path with No Line and ended up panicking and laying down I'll Go Crazy, Stand up Comedy and
Get on your Boots.

I agree with this, except that I think with the relative commercial failure of NLOTH, U2 have finally realized this.

Perhaps, and I hope so, but their comments aren't indicative of that.  :-\

I never pay any attention to what the band members say about a forthcoming album since Bono described Pop as "a beautiful collection of gospel songs", in a pre release interview with Jo Whiley in 1997.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2011, 06:44:15 AM »
We don't know what the next U2 album is gonna sound like until we actually play it and that's a big part of the excitement.

The people that buy music aren't the ones who'll buy U2 stuff.

Ignoring the charts would be a good start.

Striving for singles, rather than letting good songs come out and prove themselves, would be another.

I'm not sure U2 know how to do this - I think they started down this path with No Line and ended up panicking and laying down I'll Go Crazy, Stand up Comedy and
Get on your Boots.

I agree with this, except that I think with the relative commercial failure of NLOTH, U2 have finally realized this.

Perhaps, and I hope so, but their comments aren't indicative of that.  :-\

I never pay any attention to what the band members say about a forthcoming album since Bono described Pop as "a beautiful collection of gospel songs", in a pre release interview with Jo Whiley in 1997.

:D :D :D :D seriously?! wow.
yeah I just wanna hear the damn thing. :D.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 06:47:53 AM »
You should get better soon, so you maybe worry less about the new album  :D

Basic rock? The new songs sound like that. Why not! U2 don't need to explore unseen things all the time. That can get boring, too.

Just take it easy (I know, easier said than done) and see what's coming. We can't change it - I'd say the songs are already recorded. Did they ever disappoint your expects for any of the past records? So, just wait and see  ;)

:D Don't worry, i'm not worried... like all of you, i'm just really interested!
I agree with absolutely everything in your post though, there's no point fretting about it, especially when i think i've enjoyed pretty much everything u2 have come out with  :)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2011, 06:53:32 AM »
I'd like to point out that a "safe" U2 album is more interesting and genuine that anything most contemporary bands can come up with.  I know lots of people don't like "In a Little While", but I can't imagine any other band at the moment pulling off that rock/soul vibe.  As long as the songs are good thats what counts.  No sense in taking a new direction if the muse isn't there. 

I agree, 'safe' doesn't necessarily mean bad. It took me a while to realise that.
I've also realised that whilst u2 seem to have finished experimenting with the NLOTH 'meditative' sound, that doesn't necessarily mean they're done experimenting. Experimenting can mean many different things, and just because P01 will apparently be a step away from No Line, and be more like u2, it doesn't mean it won't sound new.
I think u2 started off making that spiritual album with Eno, and realised halfway through that they still wanted to fundamentally be a rock band, one which releases albums that drove the audience wild on tour... which is fair enough. If the next album brings on evolved versions of Vertigo, One, WoWY, BD etc, i say bring it on! I'm sure it will sound good regardless, however i'm also confident it will sound different too.  :)

LittleDany

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2011, 08:33:43 AM »
You should get better soon, so you maybe worry less about the new album  :D

Basic rock? The new songs sound like that. Why not! U2 don't need to explore unseen things all the time. That can get boring, too.

Just take it easy (I know, easier said than done) and see what's coming. We can't change it - I'd say the songs are already recorded. Did they ever disappoint your expects for any of the past records? So, just wait and see  ;)

:D Don't worry, i'm not worried... like all of you, i'm just really interested!
I agree with absolutely everything in your post though, there's no point fretting about it, especially when i think i've enjoyed pretty much everything u2 have come out with  :)

That's what I thought ;)

See, of course we all have our fave tunes and records from U2. But in the end, speaking for myself, I really like them all. So - I will like the new one, too, I guess ;)

"Safe" is never bad for U2. There is this particular typical U2 sound we all hang on to - this thing other bands just don't have. I think Glastonbury is both. It's U2 and I see it as something new - they seldom do such rocky tunes. And even when they recycled their own stuff - they made something new out of it which I think is really amazing, so they will do it again.

I'm really looking forward to the record, first because it's coming much sooner than I ever thought. And of course because it's a new U2 record! That's the main fact I'm really excited about  :D. And believe me, May on some days seems soooooo far away, I can't stand it. Unfortunetaly, discussing the new record for 10.000 times won't bring it up earlier  :-[

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2011, 09:21:26 AM »
Yeah, you're right LittleDany  :)
The important thing is the band are aiming to make some good tunes that will be hits. Safe, experimental, or a tasty mix, we all know they're gonna rock!

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2011, 09:51:10 AM »
For the last day, i've been re-thinking why i've been so supportive of u2's experimental side, and hated the idea of them being 'safe'. But the more i think about it, the more i realise these factors mean nothing in terms of the (subjective) quality of the song.

Beautiful day is just some power chords and a classic Edge riff, but it's a fantastic song. Cedars of Lebanon is insanely experimental, based off Eno samples from 20 years ago, but IMO it's kind of bland, and nothing special. Unknown caller has lots of new stuff going on, but the song itself is 'blah' (imo). I love Moment of surrender because it's got great melodies, chords, and lyrics, not because it has strange synths (though they are cool).

I think it comes down to the albums i link u2's experimental side to. Achtung baby and Zooropa are considered experimental, but it comes down to how well written the tunes are - experimental effects make the songs cool, but the magic of songs like one, Mysterious ways, and lemon comes down to the tune. Conversely, songs like 'Wild Honey' and "a man and a woman' aren't lame to me because of the lack of effects, it's because the songs are bland (stay is just as simple as Wild honey, but infinitely superior imo).
ATYCLB and HTDAAB didn't succeed because they had 'back to basics' tunes like Yawheh and Peace on Earth instead of Moment of surrender or Fez, they succeeded because they had greats like Beautiful day and Vertigo instead of Boots.

The band have stated they want P01 to be full of hits, not 'deep' songs, and to me that doesn't mean another atyclb (a few hits and lots of safe filler), it suggests an album full of various types of songs, some simple, some experimental, but all sharing the feature of being good enough to be hits. I'd love to see some cool effects, but as long as the songs are good, i won't mind.

I think that's what u2 want to get for the next album - not safe songs, and not experimental songs, but brilliant songs that will be hits. They know that means they cannot achieve commercial or artistic success based solely upon whether they're safe or daring.

So from now on, i won't worry about how experimental P01 is (although i will be interested), i'll just hope the songs are good... but this is u2, so i don't really need to worry about that  :D

LittleDany

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Exactly  :D

They've done it for 35 years. I think they know what they're doing!  :D :D :D

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2011, 11:13:32 AM »
Wait a second, u2 know what they're doing? Why was Every Breaking Wave left off NLOTH?  ;)  :D

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2011, 12:19:13 PM »
The problem with the next album being a departure from NLOTH is that NLOTH is so schizophrenic that the statement is meaningless until we determine which of NLOTH's personalities is being jettisoned. I would welcome a departure from the part of NLOTH that was a compromise made in order to gain radio relevance. But I fear that the band has mis-diagnosed NLOTH's failure as being due to it not having more radio hits.

All this to say that I have never been more suspicious and skeptical about a U2 release as I am now. I mean, when PMcG said of the new album, "Sounds great. Lots of hits!" I just cringed.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »
The problem with the next album being a departure from NLOTH is that NLOTH is so schizophrenic that the statement is meaningless until we determine which of NLOTH's personalities is being jettisoned. I would welcome a departure from the part of NLOTH that was a compromise made in order to gain radio relevance. But I fear that the band has mis-diagnosed NLOTH's failure as being due to it not having more radio hits.

All this to say that I have never been more suspicious and skeptical about a U2 release as I am now. I mean, when PMcG said of the new album, "Sounds great. Lots of hits!" I just cringed.

That was just Baron Greenback's little joke.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2011, 12:32:52 PM »

That was just Baron Greenback's little joke.

I don't get it.

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2011, 01:10:15 PM »
So how long before this thing leaks?  That's the real question.

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 01:45:19 PM »
I'm not so sure Danger Mouse would produce a clear cut rock and roll album. He doesn't seem to be the guy who you would want for that.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 01:56:52 PM »

I think, if you split NLOTH into two parts, you have a very daring, deep part, and a more desperately commercial part.
I believe P01 will be neither of these.
I think the focus will be on writing songs that just sound good, that are catchy, that have people nodding there heads saying "Wow, this is amazing!". This means there wont be any spiritual, dark songs, at least not in the NLOTH sense - i think NLOTH was a pit-stop to work on some more ambient stuff more than a real evolution, and really, u2 still want to generally rock, they want to make jumpy, rock tunes. At the same time, this doesn't mean they'll make the songs safe or contrived to be radio hits - they did that for boots, so they know it won't work. They'll make songs based on if they sound good, not if they sound similar to vertigo, or are significantly far away enough from Pop.

I'm really excited because i think the only compromise they're working with the songs have to be good enough to be hits. Not safe enough, but good enough. And that doesn't bother me, even though it means we won't see any amazingly deep and dark songs like MOS, because to be honest, it will be nice to see a change, and see u2 focus on something more 'airborne', as Bono put it.