Author Topic: Next album is gonna be 'safe'?  (Read 7684 times)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
Re: Next album is gonna be 'safe'?
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2011, 01:58:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm not so sure Danger Mouse would produce a clear cut rock and roll album. He doesn't seem to be the guy who you would want for that.

I'm not sure, have you heard his Black Keys album? That's pretty straightforward blues.
But i think you have a point - u2's style is never clear cut, they won't make it that simple, i'd be willing to bet with DM's help, half the album is quite heavily electronic.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »
U2 is capable of making catchy but deep songs, though. Crumbs From Your Table, When I Look At The World, Kite, Gone, Stay etc.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2011, 05:15:40 PM »
U2 is capable of making catchy but deep songs, though. Crumbs From Your Table, When I Look At The World, Kite, Gone, Stay etc.

Good point, but i don't think many of those mentioned would catch fire on the radio, and only a couple seem really epic live. I think they're catchy, but not the 'airborne' hits Bono is talking about (well, maybe 'Gone').
Maybe those examples just don't work for me, because i agree with your point - u2 can certainly write tunes that are deep and catchy. I suppose that's the dream - something artistically and commercially successful.
I think the new tunes won't be 'deep' in the way NLOTH was, in the sense that they won't be ambient, or meditative, but they can still have artistic and lyrical substance.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2011, 05:29:40 PM »
I am a HUGE fan of U2's ambient works (I think NLOTH and The Unforgettable Fire are brilliant albums), but since their most recent was, to me, a wonderful ambient album I don't mind the next one being catchy so long as it's meaningful. If the songs are all or mostly of Every Breaking Wave's caliber then I think it will stand as one of their very best.

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2011, 05:41:18 PM »
I'm not so sure Danger Mouse would produce a clear cut rock and roll album. He doesn't seem to be the guy who you would want for that.

I'm not sure, have you heard his Black Keys album? That's pretty straightforward blues.
But i think you have a point - u2's style is never clear cut, they won't make it that simple, i'd be willing to bet with DM's help, half the album is quite heavily electronic.

JamietheEdgefan you may have a point there.

Me I have learned to ignore anything Bono has to say wrt upcoming album releases. I've been burned before. I expect the album to have some electronica on it at least.  I just want them to involve the rhythm section more in the music......and someone to edit Bono a bit.

I look forward to the new album

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
I am a HUGE fan of U2's ambient works (I think NLOTH and The Unforgettable Fire are brilliant albums), but since their most recent was, to me, a wonderful ambient album I don't mind the next one being catchy so long as it's meaningful. If the songs are all or mostly of Every Breaking Wave's caliber then I think it will stand as one of their very best.

Pretty much share all your sentiments there Droo! I love u2's ambient stuff, but it's nice to see them constantly moving on too. Literally the only thing i'm crossing my fingers about is hoping that the tunes - at heart - will be good, both catchy and meaningful. And if Every Breaking Wave, either as an electronic surging anthem or a stripped acoustic number, is on P01 (i'm sure it is), then, the DM album already has one of my all-time favourite songs on it. Things are looking good  :)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »
ayajedi, i wish i could ignore Bono's 'preview' statements as well, but they're too damn intriguing  :D
The thing is, i don't think the band ever lies in their descriptions, it's just that the mood of the album changes so much that it's transformed by the time of release. It doesn't mean the bands descriptions are lies, it just means they describe an earlier version of the album, so are in a sense even more interesting,

But it seems this time round the band are trying to avoid hyperbole, or even any discussion too soon before release  :P

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2011, 07:39:07 PM »
I shall attempt to hold no pre-conceived notions whatsoever about what this album will be like... and I know I will fail haha but I think that would definitely be the best (albeit impossible) way to go

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2011, 03:33:15 AM »
The problem with the next album being a departure from NLOTH is that NLOTH is so schizophrenic that the statement is meaningless until we determine which of NLOTH's personalities is being jettisoned. I would welcome a departure from the part of NLOTH that was a compromise made in order to gain radio relevance. But I fear that the band has mis-diagnosed NLOTH's failure as being due to it not having more radio hits.

All this to say that I have never been more suspicious and skeptical about a U2 release as I am now. I mean, when PMcG said of the new album, "Sounds great. Lots of hits!" I just cringed.

i hope you're wrong, but i fear you're correct. i think this will be u2's final attempted assault on the singles charts. they were probably shocked that they got so much radio play and success from 'beautiful day' and 'vertigo', since, afterall, they were a band in their 40's and supposedly in the twilight of their career. they probably believe they can attain some more chart and radio success and are having one more go at it. can no-one around the band steer them away from this unrealistic approach?   After the failure of crazy tonight, do they not understand that teens and kids will never buy any of their single releases in any substantial numbers, no matter how catchy and pop driven the song is?

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2011, 04:31:21 AM »

I've always thought "Vertigo" was a dark song disguised as a "dumb rock" song.  "Give me what I want and no one gets hurt" is pretty twisted.  Also, notice that the last chorus he sings "we're at a place called vertigo" instead "i'm at a place..".  The obvious conclusion about the line "your love is teaching me how to kneel" would be that it's about God and I'm sure that that's part of it - but before that he sings "Lights go down and all I know is..." so I think it's about giving and could be oral sex involved - "your love is teaching me how to kneel".  Kind of reminds me of Dylan: "you will wind up peeking through her keyhole down upon your knees."

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2011, 05:01:43 AM »
Are we moving forward or do I need to delete more posts?

glad you posted that Joe as I was kinda confused for a minute there... reminded me of number 5 on this list...

Back on topic... oh hell, I've got nothing to contribute. U2 will release what U2 will release. I can't summon the energy to speculate this late at night.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2011, 06:07:03 AM »
U2 want their music to have the greatest reach possible because they feel passionate about their music being able to touch other people's lives and relay relevant messages.

U2 don't make music "for the sake of art" - they never have and never will.  In all their interviews, they always talk about their audience and allude to them whether they are referring to their music as "blood on the tracks" or "heavy" or "we-don't-need-the-pop-fans" or "a man's album."  Their music is directed to the listener so their audience is vital to them.

With the fickle state of the music industry, it is extremely difficult for U2 to stay relevant and get their message across.  That is why they need to find producers who are more in-tune with the current trends in music such as Danger Mouse and Will.I.Am.  This way, U2 can still have an audience.

U2 need to keep their relevance, their music needs to be heard to as many listeners as possible, and all this is vital to their survival.  And just like when life in hanging on the balance  - in U2's case it is their career they have built for over three decades threatened to extinction by the fickle illegal-downloading music industry today - they have to follow the motto: "Better to be safe than sorry."

Cheers,

J

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2011, 06:21:22 AM »
I agree with most of what you said but if you go by "better safe than sorry" then you are guaranteed an album with some success, but it also automatically puts a ceiling on how successful, and a safe album will never be "great".

LittleDany

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2011, 06:26:56 AM »
...something artistically and commercially successful...

When I look at the current charts, I'd say, those 2 things together is completely impossible. Obviously, those who buy the most records are just average in thinking and caring about music. They don't find something in artistically or artistically relevant music. This music will sound heavy, dark, unuseful to them. They buy lightweighted, catchy stuff, simple melodies, straight one-type rhythm (look at Boots, it's 3 songs in one) and easy lyrics. Nothing you can or have to think aboutsong. That's what's selling great. But that is not U2.

I seldom find U2 or Springsteen in the charts. Not even Bryan Adams who's much more the radio guy, has big times in charts. (with singles)

Hell, give a listen to the last winner of the Eurovision Song Contest. That song sucks. But it SOLD. 5x Gold/2xPlatinum.

I understand Bonos hunger for another hit single. But he should give it up. He won't get it. His music is not for cd-buying, itunes-shopping kids. They DO adult music. And we buy albums. Maybe, releasing a non-album single would give U2 a charts success. But airplay? Who knows.

I don't listen to radio at all. So I don't care about U2s airplay.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2011, 02:13:36 PM »
I think it's all about writing great songs and getting them on to the radio again, akin to Desire, One, With or Without you, Streets, Still haven't found, Pride, Beautiful Day, Stuck in A Moment, Sunday Bloody Sunday

There is a great song in Moment of Surrender but as we know U2 bottled it, who cares if its 7 mins, who cares if it's full of melancholy it's a great song which pays dividends to the listener for taking time to take it all in. Did Queen cut up Bohemian Rhapsody? Nope.

Sadly, they didn't release it as the first single. U2's first singles have never really been a true reflection of the last few albums, particularly Boots and Vertigo. The albums run much deeper than those two tracks. NLOTH had no hit singles, I do love Magnificent but that's just me, the rest of the album other than MOS, ranges from very good to mediocre.

U2 are now coming out fighting, it will be interesting to see where they are heading musically and sonically. I just hope Bono isn't dancing around like your dad at a wedding again.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:11:47 PM by eddyjedi »