Author Topic: Next album is gonna be 'safe'?  (Read 7690 times)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Re: Next album is gonna be 'safe'?
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »
U2 is never going to be a radio presence unless their songs are synth-heavy soulless dace/R&B/pop. The current popular music zeitgeist is one dominated by songs that all sound exactly the same by Ke$ha, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Taio Cruz, and Niki Minaj.

Kids today just want something to get drunk, do drugs,  dance, and ... [Admin Edit: You're killing me, Droo.]They want background noise, not art to emotionally and spiritually connect with. This flies in the face of U2's "Hearts+Minds" approach to songwriting.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:07:21 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »
I think that may be a bit cynical, although increasingly more true...

But take coldplay. I mean, this is a u2 forum, i'm not gonna talk about the quality of their songs, but it's clear their singles are nothing like Lady Gaga, BEP, K$sha etc... and didn't viva la vida have some really successful singles? Everyone seemed to be listening to them, and when they play them on tour, the audience goes bananas.
I agree the charts are dominated by "err-body gettin' drunk" stuff, but i don't think that means that any meaningful music will fail.

I honestly believe u2's last singles simply weren't good enough.

Sure, they were cool, but considering what u2 is after - a classic, 'hell yeah' tune so good that it's catchy, memorable and sought after, they need something more epic. Many might not agree, but i think if anyone released With or With out You, One, or Beautiful day tomorrow, it would perform phenomenally well in the charts.

U2 can beat all the K$sha's of the world, they just need another amazing song.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2011, 04:12:06 PM »
From Coldplay's last album the only thing I ever heard on the radio was the title track. I NEVER heard Violet Hill, Strawberry Swing etc.

Hawkmoon: Sorry about the expletive. But it's totally true.

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Kids today just want something to get drunk, do drugs,  dance, and ... [Admin Edit: You're killing me, Droo.]They want background noise, not art to emotionally and spiritually connect with. This flies in the face of U2's "Hearts+Minds" approach to songwriting.

I think thats true with every generation, actually.  Not just with kids today.  Let's not forget that Poison and Bon Jovi, etc were huge in the 80s just as much as U2.  And sex, drugs, and drinking were those bands were about.  And also, rock and roll *was* mostly all about having fun until Bob Dylan came along. 

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »
I think it's all about writing great songs and getting them on to the radio again, akin to Desire, One, With or Without you, Streets, Still haven't found, Pride, Beautiful Day, Stuck in A Moment, Sunday Bloody Sunday

There is a great song in Moment of Surrender but as we know U2 bottled it, who cares if its 7 mins, who cares if it's full of melancholy it's a great song which pays dividends to the listener for taking time to take it all in. Did Queen cut up Bohemian Rhapsody? Nope.

I think there are probably two kinds of 'epic'-scope u2 songs: Catchy, anthemic, head nodding tunes, and deep, dark, beautifully meditative songs. Mysterious ways, Beautiful day, and Still Haven't found are examples of the first type, MoS, Drowning man, Your Blue room are examples of the second kind. All of these songs are great, but only the first group are the kinds that people will want to hear on the radio, request to hear at parties or at work, will be dancing to or singing along to live. The second group is more for people listening through the albums, or will be played on tour... but they simply wouldn't work as a hit, for the radio.  In that sense, i see nothing shameful in u2 wanting 'hits'. It means they want songs that people want to dance to, want to sing to, want to go nuts to at a concert.

They can release a song that is both great and catchy, and it can be a hit without being hollow.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2011, 04:29:18 PM »

They can release a song that is both great and catchy, and it can be a hit without being hollow.

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2011, 04:29:29 PM »

I think thats true with every generation, actually.  Not just with kids today.  Let's not forget that Poison and Bon Jovi, etc were huge in the 80s just as much as U2.  And sex, drugs, and drinking were those bands were about.  And also, rock and roll *was* mostly all about having fun until Bob Dylan came along. 

I think you're right to an extent.  It's just that the music used to be better.  I don't even listen to the radio anymore.  Thank God for car stereos that let you play your iPod.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2011, 04:33:55 PM »
From Coldplay's last album the only thing I ever heard on the radio was the title track. I NEVER heard Violet Hill, Strawberry Swing etc.

Hawkmoon: Sorry about the expletive. But it's totally true.

Well to me that suggests they at least had one song that worked really well as a hit. And the other two might not have been heard on the radio as much, but they sure take off live... not used as bathroom breaks, like with unknown caller. That's not to say UC is a bad song, just that it's not the right type for what u2 want - catchy, air punching tunes.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2011, 04:44:23 PM »

I don't think it's either  :P
I can go into more detail, but this is only really my opinion - i think the main riff's are too cheesy, and predictable, and therefore 'u2 by the numbers'. I actually quite like the chorus and bono's vocal, but the whole song is just nothing revolutionary, it's nothing jaw dropping like BD or Vertigo were before it.
I just think u2 need to do better than that... for a hit single.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2011, 04:45:29 PM »

I don't think it's either  :P
I can go into more detail, but this is only really my opinion - i think the main riff's are too cheesy, and predictable, and therefore 'u2 by the numbers'. I actually quite like the chorus and bono's vocal, but the whole song is just nothing revolutionary, it's nothing jaw dropping like BD or Vertigo were before it.
I just think u2 need to do better than that... for a hit single.

It's forced but the solo is mega, it is a feelgood tune.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2011, 04:50:23 PM »
Yeah, it definitely has its moments. But it didn't have enough charisma to be a hit.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2011, 04:52:32 PM »
I think it's just overproduced and forced and a wannabe hit rather than a natural hit like Beautiful Day. It comes across in that way, it's a great solo by Edge no doubt about it but it's far too tightly produced.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2011, 04:58:18 PM »
Yeah, i think the cliche' parts of it are very contrived, the chorus part is the most cliche' Edge melody there is... obviously all done to make a hit, but ironically i think it made the song fail.
This is because after a near decade of u2 being 'back to basics', going back to their roots, they were promising an achtung baby-style leap, 'expanding the sonic arena', and they made... that. Production is shinier, but it could have been a lead single to either of the other two 00's albums.
Fortunately, i'm sure u2 know through the failure of Crazy and Boots that they can't get a hit by doing something forced or contrived... they have to have a song that is good, not 'like one of their other ones' for it to succeed. So we shouldn't be seeing another singe attempt like that  :)

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2011, 05:01:31 PM »
I don't care what any of you say, I love Crazy Tonight.  :'( :'( :'(

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2011, 05:10:55 PM »
When crazy tonight randomly comes up on my ipod, I always enjoy it thoroughly, but it is never a song I seek out to listen to. Maybe this should change