Author Topic: Next album is gonna be 'safe'?  (Read 7686 times)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
Re: Next album is gonna be 'safe'?
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2011, 05:11:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't care what any of you say, I love Crazy Tonight.  :'( :'( :'(

Aww *hugs*  ;D

Well, this really goes beyond opinions for me - i mean, i think Crazy is a pretty damn good song, but it simply didn't have the right qualities to be a hit.

... Even if it had, i think Boots and even Magnificent put the public off before it even had a chance  ::)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2011, 05:15:43 PM »
I have only recently begun to seek it out. I have a very rough year ahead of me personally so the joyous sound combined with the line "It's not a hill, it's a mountain!" really hits home for me.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2011, 05:20:20 PM »
Fair enough, man.
U2's focus on hits will help them spice up the tour, or their place in the spotlight, but ultimately what's important is how their music affects us individually.
For what it's worth, i hope their next singles are as good to you as crazy is  :)

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2011, 06:52:55 PM »
true statement

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2011, 07:53:20 PM »
Why the obsession with radio ?

Even if something gets massive airplay it still won't sell squat these days compared to the market of 10+ years ago

Those days are gone and are not coming back

KOL's 'sex on fire' and 'use somebody' assaulted my eardums on multiple stations for what seemed like an eternity, they still only went 1X platinum in the US

They will never sell as many JT, AB or even htdaab again, they should get over that once and for all

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2011, 08:28:40 PM »
It's not an obsession, we were discussion why u2 want hits, what we (personally) think works and what doesn't, regardless of if we want hits.
Also, if there is any obsession over it, one of my previous posts summed up why - sure it doesn't define if a song is good or not, but imo for u2 to get a hit, the song needs to be kickass... as all their hits have been. When they try to force/sculpt a song to be a hit, we get boots, which flopped. When they make a kickass song (WoWY, One, BD, Vertigo), people love it, so it organically becomes a hit. So, if u2 are aiming for a hit, as long as they focus on good song writing (which i think they will) - regardless of 'safety' or 'experimentalism' - you can be sure that it's going to be awesome.  :)

Furthermore, a 'hit' stretches beyond how much money it makes - for example, next time i see u2, it would be great if they played a new song, and everyone went wild for it, instead of treating it as a 'beer break' song as they did many NLOTH tracks.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2011, 12:07:38 AM »
I don't care what any of you say, I love Crazy Tonight.  :'( :'( :'(

As do I, Droo.  I love it so much, always have.

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Bass suit, bug shades, moon boogie motorcade
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2011, 08:18:29 AM »
Whoa freaky, look at the times on the first three posts in this topic (by Edgefan)...

3:33
3:44
3:55...

*Twilight Zone music*

;D

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2011, 10:47:48 AM »
Whoa freaky, look at the times on the first three posts in this topic (by Edgefan)...

3:33
3:44
3:55...

*Twilight Zone music*

;D
:o
But what could it all mean? Am i the real unknown caller???  ;)

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2011, 07:39:13 AM »
This is a strange thread. So many postings by one user replying to himself. But let's get on towards the topic.

It's fine with me if they are opting for Danger Mouse's "Gnarls Barkley" sound. Me and my girlfriend, we both love the Gnarls.
It could in fact even be great and poppy and fun together with Edge's guitars and Larry's intricate rhythms. All they need then for to keep their core audience satisfied would be great and interesting lyrics. Luckily, Bono's lyrical slump period from the HTDAAB days is already over, so we may get some relevant lyrics. And aren't they reportedly going for "relevance"?

That's what I'm hoping for: good lyrics.

Now let's compare that to the expectations I had with previous albums:

Pop: I believed Bono who said it was going to be a rock album. It wasn't, but they called it Pop, so it would fit the rock/pop category ;-)

ATYCLB: I loved Pop, but the Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack lowered expectations. I had them on probation a bit for this one. The video of Beautiful Day was a blast, but I also knew that with U2, something like that means nothing for the album. Yet, when I first heard the album, I knew immediately that it's a great one.

HTDAAB: It took too long to come out, and when it did, it did not live up to the promise of "Electrical Storm" nor that of the album that preceded it. This album just left me bored. I tried hard to like it for a month or so but couldn't. It didn't meet my expectations. Only much later, I found it to be good aural wallpaper for a hangover, which I have only very seldomly.

NLOTH: On the basis of the clips from Lanois' movie that were posted on youtube (what's all talk about being them not "in touch with their fans"?), expectations were high. They were not quite met because since the clips were recorded, they had decided to streamline their album with keyboards, probably for the sake of radio play. Yet, this album has got much more longeivity than both of its predecessors.

P01: Musical greatness is likely when you have Edge, Larry and Danger Mouse on board. For the lyrics, I'm hoping that Bono's upward trend continues, that he may reach out towards the lyrical greatness he had on "Pop". The "New Mercy" makes me a bit skeptical about that because the lyrics seemingly tell an old story that Bono told us before, whereas the "Old Mercy" told us a new story. So I'm hoping the music will be ear candy and the lyrics will be relevant. Do I put them on probation again? I guess I should because they proved me wrong before.