Author Topic: U2 in Chicago on Election Night?  (Read 7298 times)

Offline edgefan89

• Stateless
Re: U2 in Chicago on Election Night?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 01:55:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That's scary knowledge of Bono's ever changing hair.

ahhhhhhh what can i say  8)

hahah... now that i think about it, that is a little obsessive...  ::)

Offline pudgie_child

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 01:03:29 PM »
Believe it or not, Bono is not political.....

That would hamper his war on poverty

He supported George Bush by observing that he gave 4 times as much $ aid to Africa than Clinton.

He converted Jesse Helm into an Aids Activist.

Peace.
I had tickets to the Obama event on Tuesday, and if any U2 members were there, I didn't see any evidence of them.  In fact, "City of Blinding Lights" (the closest thing Obama has to a campaign song) was played well after the conclusion of his speech, as we were walking out of park onto South Michigan Avenue.

Bono has never publicly endorsed a U.S. presidential candidate because, as he has stated on a number of occasions, he felt it was inappropriate for him to do so as someone who is not a citizen of the U.S.  Remember, he even declined to endorse Bill Clinton in 1992 (interestingly enough, The Edge has never felt constrained by the same rules and HAS publicly endorsed U.S. candidates for office).

In regards to Bono, it would be naive to suggest that he didn't have a rooting interest on Tuesday night.  Without a doubt, it helps Bono's causes in Africa to have a "grandson" of Africa in the White House.  While Bono certainly has acknowledged the accomplishments of certain Evangelical conservative politicians in sending more aid to Africa, he has also been publicly critical of the same officials for selling the American public on the invasion of Iraq.

It's an honorable thing that Bono didn't endorse a presidential candidate, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that he was ambivalent about the outcome of Tuesday's election.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 04:46:23 PM »
That's scary knowledge of Bono's ever changing hair.

It's fairly easy to approximate the year by Bono's hair, he's had very different styles over the years. When I looked at that photo I thought right away it must be around Vertigo tour.

Now if someone could do that by Larry's hair (minus the Vertigo tour  ;) ) I'd call that obsession.