Author Topic: A First (Hopefully Last!) Scathing Review Of NLOTH  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
Re: A First (Hopefully Last!) Scathing Review Of NLOTH
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 07:30:08 AM »
Yeah, I think this reviewer is a smug jerk-off.  :(  And, not because he has a different or negative opinion. that is fine if it's sincere. but i really don't believe he took his own review seriously. Hence, the disclaimer...and the drinking game. The disclaimer is a way out in case he has to eat his words later. But, for now he wants to side with the h8ters, just for the sake of taking a different stance. It's like "look at me -I'm such a rebel giving the powerful U2 a 2 star review! See, I'm not kissing their bums!" Yeah, okay. To give a U2 album 2 stars is ridiculous. I bet he'd give even Britney Spears a 3 star review...also ridiculous.

And Adam is a pretty good bass player. Better than many Rock bassists. I believe he's gotten way better over the years..and his improvement specifically (for me) started with Achtung Baby. He also incorporates various bass techniques, phrasing, and tones from other genres in his playing. And, he gets a good groove going on with some catchy bass lines and the interplay between him and Larry is pretty tight and yet they've some nice dynamics going on. Also, it seems that Edge & Adam might be 'locking in' on some grooves on NLOTH and exploring this communication further. He sounds pretty loose. I also think he's developed a style that is somewhat recognizable amongst other Rock bass players. If you played back a few bass solos or grooves, I think I could probably pick out his sound or get close. That in itself is an achievement for a Bass player. Especially in Rock where bass players unfortunately get overlooked quite often. Matter of fact developing your own style or voice is an achievement for any musician/artist. Way to go Adam!  8)

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 08:22:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This seems to be a very fair assessment of the album.  There seems to be way too many sounds on it that U2 can never play live as a four piece band.

Cheers,

J

There's lots of songs they already have that have lots of sounds that they can't produce as a 4-piece. They use backing tracks. The intro to "Streets." The beginning drums on "With or Without You." The second (slide) guitar in "Gone." Or, they just do without. No violins being played for the live version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday." No xylophone in "I Will Follow." I'm not all that worried. As for it being a fair assessment of the album, even he admits that this review is based on only one listen. Which really isn't all that fair...

Or the numerous tapes during Beautiful Day
Or the 3rd (Acoustic) guitar backing on ABOY, or even the second guitar
Or the taped drums on WOWY intro

U2 has been heavily memorex since 1984, if we can't get past that......

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 08:24:32 AM »
The publisher was spot on with what he said about HTDATB, saying it was basically ATYCLB but a little harder and more personal. So even tho hope and pray he is wrong, there is some credibility here.

A bit pretentious, but doesn't seem too bitter

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 08:41:18 AM »
Ouch. there is always one Hero.

(Note for musical types: in fact, with everyone apparently so worried about the dangers of irresponsible drinking at the moment, why not use this opportunity to play the Adam Clayton Root Note Drinking Game? It's simple: take a shot every time that Adam plays anything that's more than two frets from the root note of the chord. You could play it with vodka filtered through absinthe and still be sober enough to pilot a commercial airliner.)

Poor Adam.

I actually snorted when I read that. The "You could play it with vodka..." sentence is a pretty good line.

It's not so much a review as it is a humor piece. Take it with a grain of salt and go on your merry way.

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 08:45:20 AM »
This seems to be a very fair assessment of the album.  There seems to be way too many sounds on it that U2 can never play live as a four piece band.

Cheers,

J

There's lots of songs they already have that have lots of sounds that they can't produce as a 4-piece. They use backing tracks. The intro to "Streets." The beginning drums on "With or Without You." The second (slide) guitar in "Gone." Or, they just do without. No violins being played for the live version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday." No xylophone in "I Will Follow." I'm not all that worried. As for it being a fair assessment of the album, even he admits that this review is based on only one listen. Which really isn't all that fair...

ABOY? WOWY??

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 08:51:13 AM »

Cheers,

J

ABOY? WOWY??

Yes, there's 3 guitar parts on ABOY, it's especially clear on the Brooklyn Bridge recording.

I was VERY close to Larry on one of the Vertigo shows where they played WOWY, and part of the intro is taped. Always has been.

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »
Somehow, I don't hate this guy after reading the review. It wasn't really bad, like some said, it seems like he was just trying to be witty. But if he doesn't like Brian Eno's producing, Adam Clayton's bass playing, or Bono's lyrics, what is he doing listening to U2?  ???

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »
I stand corrected and will admit my error.

U2 does use technology and non-hand played parts for their music, even live.

However, the centerpiece is still the four members of the band in all of their great songs.  Their more forgettable tracks made the band disappear and had technology be their boss.

I think even if this album uses technology, the question will still be whether or not the bottom line is still the four band members.

I have to give props to the reviewer though.  It wasn't just blind shooting from the hip.  The reviewer knew the topic very well and the statements were well founded.

Cheers,

J

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 11:01:57 AM »

I have to give props to the reviewer though.  It wasn't just blind shooting from the hip.  The reviewer knew the topic very well and the statements were well founded.

How do you know if you haven't heard the album ?

How can we trust ANY of the reviews if the reviewers are only given one chance to listen to it ?

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 11:26:03 AM »
Bottom line is that its a review from someone who doesn't like U2 so who cares, its like sending Martha Stewart to review The Exorcist, at least it made someone happy! Oh wow the core of the band is the four members thanks so much for pointing that out to us, i really had no idea, any other clichés you wanna throw our way? im starving for more insight.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 11:31:29 AM »
Bottom line is that its a review from someone who doesn't like U2 so who cares, its like sending Martha Stewart to review The Exorcist, at least it made someone happy! Oh wow the core of the band is the four members thanks so much for pointing that out to us, i really had no idea, any other clichés you wanna throw our way? im starving for more insight.

What I found insightful was that it was news to him that "non-hand" played parts were played live. I mean, aside from the obvious smart-ass comment like "it's hard to play bass drum with your hands", for someone who is a long time fan who'd like to educate the newbies it shouldn't be news that taped parts have been around for over 20 years in their live performances.

Started on the 84 tour with Bad and Unforgettable fire and they have been there on every tour since. Hell, for the Lovetown tour they even had an extra drummer hiding off to the side for Desire !

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 11:37:28 AM »
Gets right up my nose

Offline CiscoJP

• Stateless
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 12:09:29 PM »
I stand corrected and will admit my error.

U2 does use technology and non-hand played parts for their music, even live.

However, the centerpiece is still the four members of the band in all of their great songs.  Their more forgettable tracks made the band disappear and had technology be their boss.

I think even if this album uses technology, the question will still be whether or not the bottom line is still the four band members.

Cheers,

J

Every album uses technology, and not just U2. It's hard to find any group these days that douesn't double-tracked vocals, have a rhythm and lead guitar going at the same time (in a 4 piece), keyboards when there is no keyboard player, etc. Then you have effects like reverb, delay, distortion, flange, drum loops, etc. The point is that U2 consistently brings the songs to the stage. If they don't work out live, they drop them. Look at some songs that many thought would never be able to be performed live, like "Lemon," "Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car," "The Unforgettable Fire," and others. They all came off great live.

And as Junior Emblem said, how can you "give props" to the reviewer for knowing the topic when he only heard the album once? None of the reviewers so far really know what they are talking about; it can only be first impressions in a vague way. The fact that every other review is quite simple and vague is very telling. This guy delves into details that he can't really have noticed all that much in one listen. As uplate6674 said, it's more of a humor piece than a serious review.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 12:34:21 PM »
This guy seemed to be drinking while doing his review.  It seems he was more focused on being a smarta$$ than giving a review. 

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 03:29:43 PM »
I think the two major points are:-

It is a full on Brian Eno album in the same way TUF was.

There are lots of sound in the music.

Some people will like it and some people wont.

Lyric wise Bono keeps to his normal themes.

The reviewer is only trying to be interesting by talking about drink.

However his backhanded “barb” about the difference between the The Edge’s guitar and Adam’s guitar is ridiculous. Surely this is the most glorious aspect of U2 music. Attacking something everybody knows and likes is pure ego-driven nonsense. The rest of the review is open to interpretation. He certainly likes the back end of the album, even though it is clear that he went into the review with a negative attitude to start with.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 03:34:26 PM by Bono in Bonolands »