Poll

What song will open the 360 Tour in the USA?

Return of the Stingray Guitar
14 (27.5%)
Other unreleased song from 2010
0 (0%)
Brand New Song
23 (45.1%)
Classic Song
5 (9.8%)
NLOTH Song
9 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: New Opener for US Leg  (Read 4246 times)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
Re: New Opener for US Leg
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 07:59:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
NLOTH 2 is a song at the end of the deluxe version of NLOTH on itunes. It's fairly similar to the regular one, but different (and I think it would be better live)

Hm. I guess I need to go look for that. Can I buy it buy itself?

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 08:01:46 PM »
NLOTH 2 is a song at the end of the deluxe version of NLOTH on itunes. It's fairly similar to the regular one, but different (and I think it would be better live)

You can hear it on U2.com (for paid members).  It's at the end of the streaming NLOTH album.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 08:04:33 PM »

You can hear it on U2.com (for paid members).  It's at the end of the streaming NLOTH album.

I'm a member. I'll have to check it out! Thanks!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 03:33:04 PM »

NLOTH2 is a b-side to GOYB

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
No-one has yet picked one of the 2010 unreleased songs. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised. I could see Boy Falls From The Sky working as an incredible opener. Remove the riff at the start; have the band enter during "Soon" to darkness, then Edge plays the sort of moody quieter guitar part, Bono begins to sing the first verse in darkness and then... "A boy.. falls... from... the...sky!" Riff kicks in, claw lights BURST on, crowd goes insane.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 05:14:11 PM »
Unknown Caller, i think given that BFFTS is a spiderman song, the band would never want it being such an integral part of their set list. They seem to have treated it as a one off - hell, they've only played it once.
EBW and NS are obviously quite slow and melancholic, so they're not really contenders.
I think Glastonbury is the same as BFFTS - it's a one off song, i don't think u2 would want it being an integral part of their set.
As of late, they seem to want a recognisable song to start off with, so i doubt any of the new songs would be openers - they want something the crowd will instantly recognise.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 06:04:03 PM »
I don't think we've seen anything like the last of Boy Falls. Remember, they have been working on it for at least five years in relatively intact form, it was rehearsed literally every single day of the Ozzie rehearsals, (which hardly suggests dropping it) it's very specifically credited to U2- not just Bono and Edge, McGuinness cited it in an interview and Willie Williams says in his diaries; "The moment came and Bono announced “the next song we’ve never played before”.  Edge began a moody guitar intro and perhaps the audience might have imagined that something acoustic might be about to follow, but when the whole band launched into Boy Falls From the Sky it practically took the roof off the stadium.  They had rehearsed the song at soundcheck just using their onstage monitors, so this was the first time that any of us had heard this gigantic sound over the P.A. system (including Joe mixing the front of house sound, bless him).  It was shockingly mega – out at the mix position we were all looking at each other going  “…wow”.  I don’t know where that song will go, but it’s absolutely epic."

So... if that was the reaction to its first outing and they rehearsed it non-stop before the next leg, I doubt we've seen the last of it. After all, HMTM is a Batman song! Miss Sarajevo is originally half performed by Pavarotti! They wrote the song, there's no reason for them not to play it.

I also query how you can say they want recognisable openers when the last openers have been Breathe and then Return of the Stingray Guitar....
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:10:56 PM by The Unknown Caller »

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »

NLOTH2 is a b-side to GOYB

OH! Thanks!!

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »
No-one has yet picked one of the 2010 unreleased songs. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised. I could see Boy Falls From The Sky working as an incredible opener. Remove the riff at the start; have the band enter during "Soon" to darkness, then Edge plays the sort of moody quieter guitar part, Bono begins to sing the first verse in darkness and then... "A boy.. falls... from... the...sky!" Riff kicks in, claw lights BURST on, crowd goes insane.

No. That song needs to die an ignominious death and they should perform its original version Dirty Day instead.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 06:34:40 PM »
I don't think we've seen anything like the last of Boy Falls. Remember, they have been working on it for at least five years in relatively intact form, it was rehearsed literally every single day of the Ozzie rehearsals, (which hardly suggests dropping it) it's very specifically credited to U2- not just Bono and Edge, McGuinness cited it in an interview and Willie Williams says in his diaries; "The moment came and Bono announced “the next song we’ve never played before”.  Edge began a moody guitar intro and perhaps the audience might have imagined that something acoustic might be about to follow, but when the whole band launched into Boy Falls From the Sky it practically took the roof off the stadium.  They had rehearsed the song at soundcheck just using their onstage monitors, so this was the first time that any of us had heard this gigantic sound over the P.A. system (including Joe mixing the front of house sound, bless him).  It was shockingly mega – out at the mix position we were all looking at each other going  “…wow”.  I don’t know where that song will go, but it’s absolutely epic."

So... if that was the reaction to its first outing and they rehearsed it non-stop before the next leg, I doubt we've seen the last of it. After all, HMTM is a Batman song! Miss Sarajevo is originally half performed by Pavarotti! They wrote the song, there's no reason for them not to play it.

I also query how you can say they want recognisable openers when the last openers have been Breathe and then Return of the Stingray Guitar....

Sure, i'll concede that they might want to play it. It's always possible, i won't deny that. The favourable reaction from Willie and the guys and rehearsing it before the australasia shows suggests they like it, but the fact they didn't play it speaks more to me.
However, that's not to say i'm not convinced it will never be played again. Just that it looks unlikely to me.

What i am pretty convinced of, is it's place as an opener. You might disagree, but i don't see this as a proper u2 song. It was only written by half the band, it's purpose was to be played during the spiderman musical, and it's not meant to be played by u2 in said musical. HMTMKMKM was played during the credits of batman, rather than the actual film (making it less of the actual 'soundtrack'), and it was released as a single by u2 (and composed by the whole band), and sure, HMTM and Miss Sarajevo have been played (which is great), but were they ever openers? I think BFFTS is much less connected to u2 than those two songs, so i think it has even less chance of being an opener.

I know your feelings on Stingray being a full song, so we'll have to agree to disagree about that - to me, u2 have been 'walking out' to stingray after space oddity, same as they 'walked out' to soon after space oddity, and i feel that Beautiful day has been the true opener. Even if i did think of stingray as a full song, and the proper opener, if they really weren't so determined to have a recognisable song that was guaranteed to get the crowd rolling, they could have played Boots or No Line after stingray. The fact they went with beautiful day suggests to me that they really want the crowd to recognise the songs from the very beginning... or, at least from when Bono starts singing lyrics in whatever song they're playing  ;)
So yeah, that's my opinion - they've been opening with a well known staple, and i don't think they'd open with a lesser known song only written by half the band, intended for a musical.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 06:35:32 PM »

No. That song needs to die an ignominious death and they should perform its original version Dirty Day instead.

As long as they're playing 90's tunes, can't it be mofo instead?  ;D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 06:54:37 PM »
As of late, they seem to want a recognisable song to start off with, so i doubt any of the new songs would be openers - they want something the crowd will instantly recognise.

That's why they switched Breathe out for Beautiful Day, only they chose the wrong easily recognizable song.

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 07:01:37 PM »

That's why they switched Breathe out for Beautiful Day, only they chose the wrong easily recognizable song.

I thought Stingray Guitar into Beautiful Day worked pretty well.  Better than Breathe IMO.  I'll be optimistic and vote for a brand new song.

dcmarlow

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 07:03:43 PM »
put breathe back in as opener

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 07:06:58 PM »

I thought Stingray Guitar into Beautiful Day worked pretty well. 

Not as good as Soon into Breathe. ;)