Poll

What song will open the 360 Tour in the USA?

Return of the Stingray Guitar
14 (27.5%)
Other unreleased song from 2010
0 (0%)
Brand New Song
23 (45.1%)
Classic Song
5 (9.8%)
NLOTH Song
9 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: New Opener for US Leg  (Read 4303 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: New Opener for US Leg
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It was only written by half the band, it's purpose was to be played during the spiderman musical, and it's not meant to be played by u2 in said musical. HMTMKMKM was played during the credits of batman, rather than the actual film (making it less of the actual 'soundtrack'), and it was released as a single by u2 (and composed by the whole band), and sure, HMTM and Miss Sarajevo have been played (which is great), but were they ever openers? I think BFFTS is much less connected to u2 than those two songs, so i think it has even less chance of being an opener.

It's funny you should mention that- Willie actually says they discussed HMTM as an opener in Turin but preferred Stingray. They definitely didn't think there was an issue of it not being "u2" enough. It also wasn't written by only half the band- it was recorded (And can be heard leaked) in the Window in the Skies sessions and is credited to 'U2', not just Bono and Edge. I guess the way I see it, u2 won't really care much about where it came from- they just care that they have a good song as opener that'll get the crowd going. If they think Boy falls is it, they'll use it- if not, they won't.

I know your feelings on Stingray being a full song, so we'll have to agree to disagree about that - to me, u2 have been 'walking out' to stingray after space oddity, same as they 'walked out' to soon after space oddity, and i feel that Beautiful day has been the true opener.

Well, I maintain as I always have that this doesn't make sense because they 'walk out' during the end of Space Oddity, the band themselves actually play the song which is a WORLD different to what happened with 'Soon' and its consistently listed by U2.com, Rolling Stone, Q magazine etc as being a 'brand new song' debuted in 2010! ;) But I know there's not a consensus on this.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:30:16 PM by The Unknown Caller »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 07:35:33 PM »
 :o Opening with HMTMKMKM??? That would have been amazing!!! Although, they considered opening with MoS, they even soundchecked it after space oddity, so we could have had a very different opener!  :D
I didn't know BFFTS was written by the whole band, but there we go. Nonetheless, the song being an integral part of the spiderman score, being performed by the productions music team, and general worked on as of late in order to be a song for the musical is enough for me to not think of it as a proper 'u2' song. I couldn't see it on a u2 album any more than glastonbury. I couldn't even see it as a standalone single, it's too enveloped in the musical. So i don't think they'd ever have enough faith to play it as the opener.
I guess i do think of stingray as a 'song' rather than an intro, and for the record, i LOVE it, but something about it doesn't sit well with me... i think it's short length, and lack of lyrics mean it strikes me as more of a jam than a proper finished song. It's an idea u2 has floating round, and for u2 to play it is very cool. But to me, it's replacing soon, whilst BD replaces breath.
Having said that, i hope it has been developed and put on the danger mouse album - i'd love to see a full version as an opener for the US dates.

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »
I think Stingray is a phenomenal instrumental track.  Brilliant, even.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 07:44:20 PM »
The more i think about it, the more i view stingray as the opener.
But the thing is, they can get away with it for 2 reasons - firstly, it's not very long, so before the audience has time to come to terms the fact that they're with staring u2 in the face, Beautiful day has started. Not many other songs can fit that opportunity. Secondly, it's a proper rock song - a badass riff, and a danceable beat. It's a great song for u2 to come out to, more so than soon IMO (even if that was a near-religious experience).
I don't think BFFTS has the same characteristics, and so u2 wouldn't use it as an opener.

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 07:47:13 PM »
The more i think about it, the more i view stingray as the opener.
But the thing is, they can get away with it for 2 reasons - firstly, it's not very long, so before the audience has time to come to terms the fact that they're with staring u2 in the face, Beautiful day has started. Not many other songs can fit that opportunity. Secondly, it's a proper rock song - a badass riff, and a danceable beat. It's a great song for u2 to come out to, more so than soon IMO (even if that was a near-religious experience).
I don't think BFFTS has the same characteristics, and so u2 wouldn't use it as an opener.

Agreed. I think there will be more stingray-esque tracks on the new album.  I'd put money down betting Stingray was done with the help of Danger Mouse.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:32:14 PM by ryanm »

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 04:02:53 AM »
Fez - all will be forgiven.

Offline AndyU2

• Numb
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 10:35:29 PM »
I think they'll have a surprise or two with the previous tour postponed. Probably a new opener..

All I want to hear is Bad and it will make my life.

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 04:35:32 PM »
XANAX AND WINE

Would rule as an opener... never going to happen, but just sayin'

Boom Cha!

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »
XANAX AND WINE

Would rule as an opener... never going to happen, but just sayin'

I could get on board with that. Imagine that guitar riff opening the show up.

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 08:15:18 PM »
For Real... and the chorus would take down the house, and the fast verses would get the crowd riled up, it would be awesome! Basically like a more effective Breathe I think (nothin' against breathe, just not my choice for an opener). But, like I said, this is all never happening  :D

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:52 PM »
Just like it should have been the first single off the album, No Line On The Horizon should also be the opening song for the show.

Offline Bono Mob

• Babyface
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 11:07:28 AM »
I have said it before, and it is sooooo good (and far fetched) I will repeat it.

Lady with the Spinning Head

Think the extended version of this song. As the fog machines kick it up and the lights drop down, in comes Larry to start off the drums. Next is Adam adding in the bass line. The two go through the 25 seconds or so of the music as Edge and Bono take the stage. Slowly the Edge chimes in with the distant guitar sound. Then magically synched with the lights, the full Edge sound of that opening guitar riff. Then Bono takes the mic 'here she comes, lady luck again".....

Crowd screams "La la la la la la la la la la la laaaaaaaaady with the spinning head"... A shorter and immediate ending of LWTSH then right into something new.

Different. Magical. Awesome. A throw back to 20 year anniversary of Actung sessions.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 11:31:18 AM »
Okay, I admit that that would be awesome. But I have little hope that they would ever play LWTSH.

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 12:14:12 PM »
Okay, I admit that that would be awesome. But I have little hope that they would ever play LWTSH.

Didn't they supposedly rehearsed it last year at some point? Around the same time as "Mercy" I think.

I think that the perfect opener would be "Race Against Time". Imagine, the crowd pumped up and ready for action, and then all the house lights go down. You see nothing, and all you can hear is Adam's bass pumping out, building the audience into a frenzy. Then Larry's drums kick in, adding to the excitement before Edge's guitar roars out and lights begin to flicker on and off randomly. The crowd is bursting with excitement and then Bono slowly begins to moan the vocals as he joins his bandmates onstage, each one upping the tempo and building the crowd up more and more. And then with a final burst of the lights that illuminates everything, it ends and they go into the next song (whatever it may be). The PERFECT opener! :D

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2011, 12:16:58 PM »

Didn't they supposedly rehearsed it last year at some point? Around the same time as "Mercy" I think.

I think that the perfect opener would be "Race Against Time". Imagine, the crowd pumped up and ready for action, and then all the house lights go down. You see nothing, and all you can hear is Adam's bass pumping out, building the audience into a frenzy. Then Larry's drums kick in, adding to the excitement before Edge's guitar roars out and lights begin to flicker on and off randomly. The crowd is bursting with excitement and then Bono slowly begins to moan the vocals as he joins his bandmates onstage, each one upping the tempo and building the crowd up more and more. And then with a final burst of the lights that illuminates everything, it ends and they go into the next song (whatever it may be). The PERFECT opener! :D

No it was not rehearsed and YES Race Against Time would be a sick opener I agree