Author Topic: My North American Leg Predictions  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
My North American Leg Predictions
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:38:47 AM »
I was inexplicably correct in my out of left field predictions of Your Blue Room and Scarlet, so I'm going to toss out some here:

This leg will see the debut of Grace, full band Every Breaking Wave, Fez - Being Born, Drowning Man. Zooropa and Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World will also be played, with a rare occasion of Dirty Day. Your Blue Room will also make a return. Discotheque will be resurrected and alternate with Crazy Tonight until halfway through the leg when Crazy Tonight disappears and Discotheque becomes the regular set piece until the end of the tour.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:52:40 AM by Droo »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: My North American Leg Predictions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:50:03 AM »
They'll play 3 new songs from the forthcoming album and probably drop Magnificent.

A new and vastly improved full band version of Desire.

If U2 follow this forum, they would be well advised to play The Fly.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:50:16 AM »
Can you also please predict that Mofo will appear?
Thanks in advance  ;D
I genuinely believe we'll see TTTYAATW, because Willie williams predicted it. Assuming EBW is on the album, a full band version is all but guaranteed. So i agree with you on those.
I'd guess we'd the see the basic shape of the setlist remain the same, but with 4-5 new album songs, and the dropping of the Crazy remix, and possibly magnificent. I'd imagine Boots and Moment of surrender will remain.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:53:25 AM by JamietheEdgefan »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can you also please predict that Mofo will appear?
Thanks in advance  ;D

I can confirm that Bono will speak a couple of lines from it during the Crazy remix.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:53:09 AM »
I don't think Mofo will come back but that did remind me to add my Discotheque prediction to the original post.

I would be shocked if Magnificent was dropped. Audiences respond to it and it's a classic U2 sound.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:54:49 AM by Droo »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »
I don't think Mofo will come back but that did remind me to add my Discotheque prediction to the original post.

That's good enough for me!

... as long as they don't cut out the Boom Cha's  >:(  ;D

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 11:03:55 AM »
I would predict with 80% certainty that the number of NLOTH songs will decline, probably to two. Go Crazy remix possibly replaced by new song, otherwise Boots and Magnificent seem to me the main candidates for the chop.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
I don't have ready statistics for EVERYTHING, but i would say with a fair degree of certainty that the Crazy remix will stay a permanent fixture for the rest of the tour.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 11:17:01 AM »
I would predict with 80% certainty that the number of NLOTH songs will decline, probably to two. Go Crazy remix possibly replaced by new song, otherwise Boots and Magnificent seem to me the main candidates for the chop.

I would have thought that, given Boots and Magnificent were two of the singles, surely they'd be the ones to stay? If anything, i'd guess they'd replace Crazy and Moment of surrender with two better known songs (that includes new album songs, assuming the coming album is a'hit').

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 11:21:19 AM »
Crazy and MoS are much more important setpieces of the show though, and we know they consider MoS the best song they've written in a good while. They even dropped WOWY to have time to play it in Zurich II when they had to stop early.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 11:32:04 AM »
Crazy and MoS are much more important setpieces of the show though, and we know they consider MoS the best song they've written in a good while. They even dropped WOWY to have time to play it in Zurich II when they had to stop early.

God point, although i'm a little confused over the bands opinion of MoS - Many times when they're playing it, Bono calls it a 'great gift of a song', but in an interview he called it "too dark and inaccessible, like a european art house movie" or something. It almost feels like a condensed version of their view on pop, where at first they bravely promoted it, but after popmart, pretty much shot it down.
Crazy tonight occupies a space as a dance track, but the newest album could very possibly have dance numbers on it (think of DM's work with Gorillaz), and i think it's possible that, if a dance track is a single, and the band really like it, that it could replace Crazy as the 'club' staple.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »
Crazy Tonight was a single. Why does everyone forget that?

Moment of Surrender is not single material for the very reasons Bono cites. However, the song is beloved by critics and from what I can tell has grown in fan esteem. It's like other non-singles that are loved by fans such as Gone and UTEOTW. I think it has the potential to be a permanent staple.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »
I know it was a single, but the remix is very different, it wouldn't surprise me if the casual fan thought it was an entirely different song  :D
Moment of surrender is one of my favourite u2 songs, but i think it tragically doesn't work very well live. I think they could choose a better ending, but that's just me  :P

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 12:45:28 PM »

U2 only recorded this song for a television commercial.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 01:03:44 PM »

U2 only recorded this song for a television commercial.

No, there was an official video and it charted in several countries as an official single.