Author Topic: Boycott of u2.com  (Read 44933 times)

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
Re: Boycott of u2.com
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2011, 05:47:22 PM »
Darn; and I was awake until 5 am to write it! Hopefully somebody else will be edit away 2/3 of it then. I don't think that I would be able to without losing either half of the problems with the website, or the politeness and respectfulness. If I omit the former it seems like we're blowing it out of proportion and there aren't as many problems as we make out. If I omit the latter it won't be read because it will seem rude/brusque/ungrateful; and I don't want to pi*s anyone off with it.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2011, 06:14:08 PM »
No, it's great! Just list some of the paragraphs as bullet points. All this content is great and describes our problem with the site fully!!

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2011, 06:46:13 PM »
i think the length as it stand is ok for a petition. if theres a lot of signatures attached they will read more than page. was it really 3 pages? didnt seem that long. 3 may be too much (between 1 and 2 max i think). as a single letter i think maybe they could blow it off but a petition with good support they'll sit down and look at it more. maybe a slight condensing if anything, we do have some bullet points for them to zoom straight to if they get lost in the words.

no worries about sending it off already. would you mind if we still used it as the basis of the petition tho?

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »
Are we going to be able to sign it?

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
was it really 3 pages?

Yes.

no worries about sending it off already. would you mind if we still used it as the basis of the petition tho?

Not at all.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2011, 07:39:48 PM »

Where?

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2011, 08:28:40 PM »

Where?

There are two sites I posted last page, but we'll have to wait for a final text.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2011, 08:33:59 PM »
I'd also add...

PS: You suck

:D :D :D :D :D

You should be a writer, Briscoe. You do have a way with words!

Very well written Matkin!

Offline sw

• Running to Stand Still
  • At the home office it's always March 2010.
« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2011, 08:39:25 PM »
I have been very busy this week and not really keeping up but I am interested in signing a petition if there is one being circulated and I'll read through this as soon as I can.

Generally I feel any communication from fans to the band could easily be picked up, and spun incorrectly, by the media. Maybe not the worst thing to have happen because then it might get the band's serious attention.  But given that this site and others can be viewed by guests it won't be hard for this to come up in search results.

I feel they left too much to Live Nation. The back office operations of the fan club/u2.com are poorly run--I remember trying to get my membership expiration dates sorted out and the e-mails that would come from Fan Fire were incomprehensible. (NOT the mods, who really tried to help and seem to have their hands tied and get the brunt of the complaints)

Also, as with many of us, as they've gotten older their lives are more complicated and they're generally busier than they were years ago with their non-U2 activities, and I don't mean Spider-Man only. All of them now have kids, and their parents of band members would be getting up there in years by now. And technology doesn't necessarily simplify things. Reliance upon e-mail can provide quick communication but it also allows people to procrastinate decision-making more than ever.  Bono is not the only one involved in non-profits, causes, etc. That's not an excuse for "Duals" or the lack of engagement with fans online, or the way concerts are announced (which I blame Live Nation totally, because LN has done this with other bands). But it explains a lot.

Offline Utwoed

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Being ridiculous is something I hold dear
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »
I wouldn't bother mentioning anything in that letter about how they tour, that has nothing to do with U2.com as a website.  Also, there are many bands who add shows as the tour goes along, and not all at once, especially the huge acts.  I've seen that complaint about other bands.  Since Bono had to have emergency back surgery that threw a big wrench into planning the rest of the tour.  Negotiating with venues and their availabity takes time, sometimes things don't work out at the exact time a tour is announced.  I really see the touring issue a non-issue.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2011, 03:23:43 PM »
if your not up for the edits just say so and someone can jump in and do it. i suspect i'l be well again tomorrow so if noones jumped on it by then i'll incorporate the minor fixes noted and start an online petition unless someone else really wanted to do it (ie i'm not that fussed who does it but will do it if noone else wants to) 

sorry guys, i'm not up to doing this and will be back at work tomorrow. does anyone else have any time to incoporate all the comments?

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
I'd want to, but i'm swamped with yet another essay... either it will take a few days, or someone else can make a draft of MelicansMatkin's letter with the additions. 

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »
Alright I'm working on a shorter version right now.  Should be done in a few hours.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »
Alright I'm working on a shorter version right now.  Should be done in a few hours.

Thanks a lot! We all really appreciate it  :)