Author Topic: Boycott of u2.com  (Read 44932 times)

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
Re: Boycott of u2.com
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2011, 08:59:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Alright I'm working on a shorter version right now.  Should be done in a few hours.

thanks mate, sorry to pyke, was hoping to be a bit better by now and too much chores to do on a sunday.

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2011, 08:59:50 PM »
Out of curioisty, how is the modified letter coming along?

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2011, 03:31:26 PM »
i think gnmet was doing something on it but he seems to have been held up unexpectedly.

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »
My bad, I thought I already posted this.   :(
Sorry about that.

To whom it may concern,

We are writing to you today because recently, many of us have become dissatisfied with the way that U2.com is run. When U2 partnered with Live Nation in 2008, Bono said "With regards to U2.com, we feel we've got a great website, but we want to make it a lot better. We want a closer, more direct relationship between the band and its audience and Live Nation has pledged to help us with that." However, since then many fans have felt ostracized from the band. Not only has the cost of subscription increased, but also many paid members now feel as if they are not getting value for the money that they are spending.

Here are some of our problems with the current website.

1.   Customer Service – Purchasing almost anything from U2.com has become a nightmare.  Orders are frequently delayed, sometimes for months, or simply canceled. When people try to find what happened with their orders responses are both generic and uninformative.  Often emails sent to subscribers about the status of their accounts are completely incorrect.

2.   Presales – For years many years U2 fans have paid for U2.com membership to get the first crack at U2 tickets.  However that is no longer the case.  Presale entry is now also available from a variety of sources including from certain credit cards, sports teams and other

3.   “Exclusive” CD’s – Aside from the pre-sales one of the best parts of fan club membership were the exclusive CD’s.  Melon, Hasta La Vista Baby, U2.Communication, Zoo TV Live and U2 Go Home.  However recently the quality of these releases has taken a nosedive.  All of the songs on Medium Rare and Remastered were previously released with The Complete U2, Remastered Albums and various single releases. All were also available on iTunes.  Only three tracks on Artificial Horizon were not previously released and “Fast Cars” was featured on a previous free gift.  

The upcoming release of U2: Duals has crossed the line. Four of the songs were released on widely available studio albums sometimes multiple times and nine of the tracks are directly available on iTunes.  This has pushed us to the breaking point.  To put songs from studio albums on a fan club release is quite frankly ridiculous and almost insulting.

4.   Value – Aside from Willie’s Diary, widely beloved by U2 fans, there just isn’t anything available to justify spending $50. REM subscription is $12 and members receive actual unreleased tracks. Coldplay’s website is entirely free and has Pearl Jam’s fan club, described by many U2 fans as one of the best that there is, gives streaming radio access, a magazine in PDF and hardcopy formats, free tracks for both download and vinyl, limited edition t-shirts, and a coupon that allows a user to download a free ‘bootleg’ Pearl Jam concert of their choice, in addition to all of the other perks that U2.com offers (full website access, some exclusive video and interviews, and pre-sale codes), for $40.

5.   Incorrect Information – Often information posted on U2.com is dead wrong. The site has frequently post wrong set-lists, wrong tour dates, $100 lithographs of the wrong concert and many other ridiculous mistakes.

Whenever news is about to drop U2.com seems to be at best several hours and at worst several weeks behind fan sites such as U2gigs and @U2. In fact now many consider the fan-sites to be more accurate than U2.com.

6.   The Press – Instead of utilizing U2.com to speak to fans the band ends up sending information.  Many of us are baffled by the conflicting information that emerges.  Depending on what article you read the new album is either definitely coming out in a few months or may be coming out in a few months.  It is either a club album, the meditative Songs of Ascent or something with Danger Mouse.

So if we are going to spend $50 there really has to be more than Willie’s Diaries as exclusive content. What should be changed?

1.   Better customer service on U2.com.  
2.   Less blatant errors.  No one is perfect, but the amount of screw-ups that happen should be unacceptable for the biggest band in the world.
3.   More exclusive content.  Propaganda was beloved by the fan-base as a direct connection between the band and the fans. While a print version may no longer be cost effective a pdf or even some original stories on U2.com is a must.
4.   Actual “exclusive” CD’s.  We know that U2 records almost everything they do, be it concerts, jams in Bono’s basement or sound-checks. It’s time to bring some of that to the light.
5.   Full-length videos as opposed to short cell-phone camera recordings.
6.   More information directly from U2 as opposed to through the press.  Even something like the Oracle, on Coldplay.com would be fantastic.

We know how much Bono, The Edge, Adam, and Larry care about their fans. Larry taking the time to personally sort out the ticket debacle at the beginning of the Vertigo Tour is proof of that. We also understand that this is a crazy time for U2 with Bono’s injury, a tour, a new album and Spiderman. But the fact is that we just can’t justify continuing to spend $50 for a product that is embarrassingly sub par.

Bono once thanked us all for supporting the band through the early years, and for “giving us £500 each day”. We will all be more than happy to continue doing so; we’d just like to get some value from that money, so that we can say that we continue to have a special and intimate relationship with U2.

Sincerely,

The Fans

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2011, 05:39:56 PM »
this is excellent. really really excellent work.

you gonna upload it to a petition site?

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »
Yes, this is perfect. Fantastic work gnmmet, worth the wait!  :)

I think we need to consider now what the next step is. A few questions are:

Which people do we send this message to, and should it be sent by many of us (instead of one), like chain mail?
How do we get a petition signed online (i personally have no experience with this, but someone else might)?
How do we convince people on various fan sites to boycott (especially on u2.com itself, where i could see us being banned)?

Just as a heads up, when i linked to this thread over at interference, a lot of them scoffed at the idea of the boycott, saying we were over-reacting to 'Duals', and that non-subscribers urging members to quit was hypocritical. I explained in full our argument, but since then i've received no solid support... any ideas how we could salvage the situation on interference?

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2011, 06:12:26 PM »
That is awesome and very accurate.

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2011, 06:49:21 PM »
Ok if we are good with this, then there are a few steps to take.

1. Upload it onto one of the petition sites.  Basically what happens is once someone creates the petition they can then post a link to it and send that around. 

2. Link to it on all the other fan sites.  With Interference I'd say, this has gone beyond Duals it's about U2.com in general. If they want to see U2.com become better then signing a petition is good way to express that.  No one has to cancel anything if they don't want to. 

3. Contact the media.  No idea what to do here, any suggestions?

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2011, 07:10:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok if we are good with this, then there are a few steps to take.

1. Upload it onto one of the petition sites.  Basically what happens is once someone creates the petition they can then post a link to it and send that around. 

2. Link to it on all the other fan sites.  With Interference I'd say, this has gone beyond Duals it's about U2.com in general. If they want to see U2.com become better then signing a petition is good way to express that.  No one has to cancel anything if they don't want to. 

3. Contact the media.  No idea what to do here, any suggestions?

i think definitely leave 3 depending on the success of 1 & 2.

ie if noone signs it then leave it at that. if heaps of people sign it and they make some changes, cool. if heaps of people sign and nothing happens then we could consider 3. wouldnt know how to go about it though.

i agree that even if people think we're over reacting to duals that they would likely support the petition as its about much more than that. i am very surprised they like it tho i must say.

so yeah stick it up, send some links around and see what happens. i'll put it up if you like.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2011, 07:13:07 PM »
ok so i'm on the website and they want a petition title and a url (eg You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

any ideas. i've pencilled in u2 fan club needs to pimprove but that pretty banal.

also just thinking does anyone have any experience with these websites, are there better ones then others (that make signing it straightforward?). obviously important is that they dont sell you email on to advertiser or others. the one above states that they dont.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:20:18 PM by soapit »

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2011, 09:55:49 AM »
That letter is brilliant!   I'll sign the petition and put a link to it on my blog.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2011, 04:31:52 PM »
any ideas on a title anyone? i havent been able to think of anything snappy or punchy.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2011, 06:01:35 PM »
My $.02:

I think I paid for a membership for U2's fan club once, back around the Vertigo tour, I believe.  I can't honestly imagine doing so again, for any band.  No band is going to reserve much if anything for fan club members--they want to sell to the masses, as much as possible.  Which means that their best work will NOT be exclusive to a fan club.  Remix compilations and audio from already-released live concert videos don't count as incentives.  Ditto concert tickets.  That was the reason, of course, that I had joined in the first place, and then had the "privilege" of buying 300-level tickets at full price.  Or, I could just have waited for the rest of the good seats to go on sale to the general public.  Or, just pay out the nose to a scalper, and get seats I wanted.  Because, again, the band was mostly interested in selling to EVERYONE, not just the loyal fan club members.

Fan clubs, in short, are in the business of taking your money and providing as LITTLE AS POSSIBLE back to you, to keep you ponying up next year.  If they can dangle some carrot like first dibs to concert tickets the following year, so much the better.  Maybe I'm jaded, but that's my take.

I'll pay for quality music, tickets, and merch from any band I like.  But I won't subscribe to them.  It's about as worthless as the "extended warranties" at Best Buy.  Although, all this said, I've heard good things about Pearl Jam's club--I'm just not a very big PJ fan.

Offline sw

• Running to Stand Still
  • At the home office it's always March 2010.
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2011, 09:01:45 PM »
As far as media awareness, all that has to happen is enough fans posting the petition link on their personal Twitter accounts. Use the "#u2" hashtag and eventually it'll get picked up. Perhaps something simple as "U2, we love you but please fix your fan club" and add the link.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2011, 05:17:47 AM »
I would definitely do that. I just need to know where the links are and stuff.