Author Topic: Boycott of u2.com  (Read 47106 times)

Offline happyme

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Wow sexy & friends rocked sydney 13&14 2010
Re: Boycott of u2.com
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 06:18:40 PM »
Im a member over there & also think that the price is steep,but will remain a member as when they decided  to come to oz it  can be hard to get tix to the first show so at least we have pre sale.That said i have orded mercich through there  american store site (witch was just  akey ring) back  in december & still havent recived it,i sent off an e-mail saying so, & recived one saying that it may take a month & thay have no way of tracking it.my biggest problem is that i fell that it has been sent to the wrong address as the wrong one  comes up when i check my account (& i am unable to change it) I dont blame u2 at all i blame the powers that be (yea i know thay employ them) but i feel that they have more to do  then the site,but it would be nice to think that they at least cared.But i dont think that it should be expossed to the public as it will be blown up to more than what it is & just embarse them,& make larry angry
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 06:21:25 PM by happyme »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »
Thanks for the support guys!   :)

Miami66 - the 'boycott duals' idea is great, i've already followed suit  ;) I recommend everyone do it!

soapit - you might be right, a massive group discussion might not yield any final conclusions. If people want to make a small, efficient group to get things done, please nominate yourself in this thread, i wouldn't feel comfortable choosing members myself. I also don't want to think of myself as the 'boss' of this operation, i'm sure other members would be a lot better at this than me, but of course i'm willing to do everything i can - not shirking responsibility, i just don't think the direction of this boycott should be in the control of one person, i think it should be slightly democratic, if just for the sake of the quality of this protest.

briscoetheque - i was feeling kind of bad about including u2 themselves in this, but it is their website, so in an indirect way, they're responsible for this shoddy treatment of their fans. They ought to know about it. Perhaps the public does too!

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 06:47:18 PM »
or maybe nominate others otherwise people will be to modest i reckon. i've already chucked yourself (jamie) and exile up there for nom as people who are respected, motivated and able to express things clearly.

so how exactly did you boycott the cd?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 06:47:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for the support guys!   :)

Miami66 - the 'boycott duals' idea is great, i've already followed suit  ;) I recommend everyone do it!

soapit - you might be right, a massive group discussion might not yield any final conclusions. If people want to make a small, efficient group to get things done, please nominate yourself in this thread, i wouldn't feel comfortable choosing members myself. I also don't want to think of myself as the 'boss' of this operation, i'm sure other members would be a lot better at this than me, but of course i'm willing to do everything i can - not shirking responsibility, i just don't think the direction of this boycott should be in the control of one person, i think it should be slightly democratic, if just for the sake of the quality of this protest.

briscoetheque - i was feeling kind of bad about including u2 themselves in this, but it is their website, so in an indirect way, they're responsible for this shoddy treatment of their fans. They ought to know about it. Perhaps the public does too!

I'm happy to help however I can.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 07:21:34 PM »
Cheers Exile!
Right, so Exile and myself so far, how about you, soapit? You in?
Miami66, TheEdgeIn4D, JasontheJedi, would you be up for it?
Everyone else is still welcome to nominate themselves!
When we decide on the members, we can move on to proposing and choosing drafts of what to say...

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 07:22:49 PM »
I'm not sure what I can do.... But I'm posting on this thread to see what's going on.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 07:25:53 PM »
Everything is still very much in the planning stage.
I made this thread first and foremost to just gather in everyone that feels the same way. Once we've formed a collective willing to organise a protest, we can discuss what we think is best...

Offline funkndub

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »
This topic motivated me to register on this site. Although,  have been a dedicated reader for a few years. 

I have been a member of all the various versions of U2's fanclub since 1983 and u2.com is an absolute sham. I have had a real bad taste in my mouth for it since the Vertigo tour ticket fiasco and they have done nothing to prove that they give a sh** about the fans.  I could go for days regarding how much of a disaster and disservice the fanclub is to u2 and what they used to stand for.

I would like to participate if only to warn others not to waste their money and instead read more informative and fan friendly sites such as atu2.com.

Lu

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 08:00:16 PM »
I dont think I will be signing up next year. This year, I only used one presale code. Of the three concerts I'm going to, one was from when they were postponed (before I was a member) and the other was a date I decided to add way after they presale was over so I never used my code. So I guess I was kind of thinking that the CD would at least be a nice benefit.... even though I didnt get my money's worth out of the membership. So now I'm disappointed royally. Since I buy GA tickets, and these are generally still available when the show goes to public sales, I think I'm just going to take my chances with having the benefit of the presale since everyone seems to indicate it's not really needed.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »

3) tossing copies of DUALS on stage during the concerts

Absolutely no way.

The rest, rock on.  I agree.  I appreciate my presale code, but I've long believed that we should have access to downloads of soundboard bootlegs for shows that we've attended (for free or even a minimal price of a few dollars) as part of our subscription benefits.  Easy enough for them to do and a really big perk.  Sure, a lot of us know how to get torrents of bootlegs, but why can't they just make it official as a lot of other bands have done?  I'd treasure that, and I would love to have it conveniently available than having to pray for a decent bootleg after every show and hope that it sounds good........

As well - the mistakes and incompetence of late has been laughable.  I still haven't forgotten about my lithograph from Chicago that wasn't from Chicago, and you know, I still have it.  I never heard back from anyone regarding that, and I try not to think about it.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 08:10:18 PM »
I ordered a IGCIIDGCT Remix shirt before xmas and I got through the whole thing and then they told me it was backordered and would be here by Jan 12, guess what on Jan 20 they said it was sold out (and they used my discount 30% off coupon)  >:( >:(

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 08:53:48 PM »

I appreciate my presale code, but I've long believed that we should have access to downloads of soundboard bootlegs for shows that we've attended (for free or even a minimal price of a few dollars) as part of our subscription benefits.  Easy enough for them to do and a really big perk.  Sure, a lot of us know how to get torrents of bootlegs, but why can't they just make it official as a lot of other bands have done?  I'd treasure that, and I would love to have it conveniently available than having to pray for a decent bootleg after every show and hope that it sounds good........

what annoys me about that is i remember years ago before anyone had thought of doing it that bono was talking about how exciting the possibilities were with all the new tech and said something about this. it was something about being able to download a copy of the show you'd just been to. then with all their cash and resources they never got around to making it happen whereas other bands have done it.

they used to be on the cutting edge.

jamie i'm also happy to help out. i dont really have a strong opinion about what to do (tho i too am not keen to start throwing things at the band). plus i'm only a new member so not as annoyed as most people but i'll keep piping in with occasional suggestions until someone tells me to stop.

i do think the simplest way is getting a petition with people signing to say they've either cancelled, thought about cancelling or never signed up in the first place because of the poor experience delivered, nice and inclusive and doesnt.

i'd also be in favour of keeping this between us and the band, no need to drag others into it ie rollingstone.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:30:35 PM by soapit »

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 08:54:59 PM »
Cheers Exile!
Right, so Exile and myself so far, how about you, soapit? You in?
Miami66, TheEdgeIn4D, JasontheJedi, would you be up for it?
Everyone else is still welcome to nominate themselves!
When we decide on the members, we can move on to proposing and choosing drafts of what to say...

I'm in.

And they could start with the godawful design.

Yes, please. Especially for a website that isn't required to place ads anywhere.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 09:14:59 PM »
Oh, and yes. I support.

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »
Does anyone know how to actually cancel your U2.com membership?  I know that no one ever responds to the email form on the help page.  I tried to get help earlier this year because I never get any of the fan club emails (which is why I missed out on the 'exclusive' download earlier, but no worries, apparently it's going to be on Duals  ???).  Yeah, no answer. 

I read through the site's terms and conditions (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) and that's no help either, but it was good for a laugh....