Author Topic: Boycott of u2.com  (Read 44394 times)

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: Boycott of u2.com
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 10:28:12 PM »
^Adam's brother owns the company that technically takes care of the website but LiveNation is supposedly the one in charge of the forum and store.

What I have been reading on this forum and other forums is that the complaints are really coming from the LiveNation era which started in 2008. Does anyone feel like there has been a disconnect going on prior to 2008 on U2.com? I mean the end of the Propaganda era was hard on a lot of fans because it really was cool and I think they tried to transfer that to a website but have totally lost touch over the years with what Propaganda meant to the fans.

I would really like to read the contract that U2 has with LiveNation, just concerning U2.com and see what LiveNation promised them they would do and how much the band would be involved. It makes me wonder if the band was really heavily involved in the beginning but has backed away from it because they are relying on others to take care of everything.

I have a project management type of thinking when it comes to work and would love to get my hands on this project and analyze it!!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 10:53:18 PM »
The reason I say that the Band and the website are intertwined is because U2.com IS U2 on the web. Sure, they've handed 'control' if you like, but if a band the stature of U2 says 'our website is crap, fix it' it will happen.

There is too much at stake to have a terrible website.

So, it's reasonable to assume one of a few things...

1) U2 don't care. They don't understand this whole hintraweb/new media thing are are just happy to have something (remember u2popmart.msn.com anyone?)
2) U2 think the site is actually good. That is more disturbing.
3) U2.com is a commercial beast alone. So long as the website pulls in $50 a membership the band and management are happy.

In each of these situations, U2 - the band - can do something about it.

By letting a sub par, poorly organised website represent them, and by handing their loyal card carrying cash giving members a CD of stuff they already have as a major benefit, they are themselves guilty of the con as much as livenation.

We are too quick to excuse the band in my opinion. I love them, hell I've just shelled out thousands to see them in the US and Australia in the past 2 years. But they are responsible for their website. They can fix it.

It's your world, you can change it, I believe the saying went...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:18:46 AM by briscoetheque »

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 11:40:20 PM »
I don't excuse U2 when it comes to the music.  They managed to find a way to sell us the same music through the Best of 1980 - 1990, Best of 1990 - 2000, U218 and The Complete U2 digital box set ($150!).   Then the fan club releases: CD rips of two concerts already out on VHS/DVD, 2 remix discs that had mostly released tracks on them and 2 collections we mostly already own.  This is U2.   

It reminds me of cheesy overpriced diner in Times Square.  The service is horrible, the food's bad and over priced and they rush you out.  Because they know that another sucker from Kentucky is waiting for seat.  U2 has never suffered for giving out stuff we already had.   They have no reason to change.

Offline u2vox

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 01:30:02 AM »
Idea: When Duals arrives, send it back. Better yet, send it back to Principle Management, as opposed to U2.com, along with a note saying why it's being sent back. Perhaps everyone uses the same or a similar note, and the point gets across...

LittleDany

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 02:00:09 AM »
I paid for U2.com in December the first time. I liked the past releases seen thru the web (I don't know what's wrong with MR&R....I like it) and yes, I also did rely on the Duals promise to be something exclusive. Well, 3 songs we didn't have so far, of which one was already sent out as download. If they don't play Europe again this year so I can use my presale code (it's btw a shame, that the code is good for EU concerts for 4 tickets for one show, not like US dates where you can use them for 2x2 tickets), I'm really getting angry, that was the second main reason I subscribed. The discount code is nice, as GA runners don't have time to buy stuff at the show itself, but the shipping costs are a betrayel and the European Store is as well.

Yes, the band could fix it.

I ran websites for some of my fave musicians some years back. As being a fan, I tried to bring something special to the fans. This ended up in kneeling to get them posting some answers in the forums or send a pack of signed photos....but if another fan told them: hey, they're crappy over there, I immediately received an email...and they really are NOT as big as a band like U2. But it's also always been "no time, lotta work, sorry I'm in the studio...at rehearsals..." or "yes I will do this later" - and forgot it.

I understand, that U2 are a big band, really busy, we want a lot from them (do an album, do a great rerelease of R&H and AB....) but I think, the fact U2.com sucks is - they just don't know about it. If they ask, all will tell them: oh yeah, everything is fine. They need at least one fan in the website team, cause fans know, what fans want.

If Bono knew, he would try to fix it. The really best would be to try to meet the band and hand Bono out a print of this topic, a letter with explanations or something the like. I'm sure he get angry. I don't think the band sees their fans as money spenders.  If we explain, what needs to be changed, they would do something about it. It's not only the betrayel with the CD, but also the sucking stores from Live Nation and the lack of support. Being the biggest band in the world means you have to built up a BIG team for support and fanclub. Running a big company like this is surely different than being a little band with a few hundred fans and just 50 of them in the fanclub, that's okay. I don't expect U2 spending their spare time on the forums or stuff. But what's that stupid video thing? Edge wearing a flipcam and all you see is 30-40secs of footage with ....well, nothing. Or you see 20secs of a song from a concert and you have to guess what song it was (well, not really, but you know what I mean) - and for this crappy "exclusive video" they put signs out "attention: this concert is filmed....." ::)

Writing  to the management or even sending back the Duals CD won't change much I think. Well, why shell I send back the CD or throw it on stage (I don't throw things on stage) - I PAID for it, so I won't trash it. Although it's not good, it was expensive and I don't trash money like this.

Well I paid this year and will make the best of it. But if they don't change, I won't do it again. At least, if they don't change, they really need to lower the price. $50 is a heck of money for some of us.

Again, I think the best would be to try to address this directly to the band. If someone meets them, they need to tell them. I'm sure they will listen.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 02:22:43 AM »
oh count me in. it's shocking :D.

Offline Kit

• Wanderer
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 03:46:31 AM »
Spiderman is not U2, but that didn't stop the press from linking the two together to get a headline, no matter how much we attempt to keep this as an attack on U2.com and not U2 themselves, it will be spun poorly........without doubt.

The only way to really solve this is to get word directly to the members of U2, if anyone has an 'in', or through concerts (I think somebody mentioned signs that could be held up at gigs etc)..........otherwise, their PR people and agents will intercept all our efforts and keep the band as far away from this as possible, as they know that it doesn't make financial or emotional sense to involve the band members directly in these matters.

However.........

I feel that our best option is send U2.com suggestions for exclusive content, send them ideas (some of you may have done this).

I have found in my experience that suggesting ways to solve things is far more effective than just simply complaining.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:27:31 AM by Kit »

LittleDany

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 05:13:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The only way to really solve this is to get word directly to the members of U2, if anyone has an 'in', or through concerts (I think somebody mentioned signs that could be held up at gigs etc)..........

Good point. But this would go out to those who will finally see the band in the US this year and have waited for it so long. I can imagine it may bother some of them to take care of something thru the show, paint a sign or banner and make sure, they see it instead of just enjoying the show they have waited for so long. But yes, they will play a lot of gigs in the US, maybe we'll find some fans here who will bring a sign to the show so the band sees something goes wrong.

I don't think suggestions to U2.com will change anything. Because I'm sure a lot of fans already suggested ideas in mails etc. since many of the subscribers are unhappy for some years now. And if the final result of those suggestions is Duals? You see how interested U2.com is in suggestions.

LittleDany

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 05:14:45 AM »
Oh and maybe we should at least make clear in those signs, we don't see the band being responsible for this like "U2 rules! U2.com sucks!!" or the like.

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 05:59:36 AM »
Idea: When Duals arrives, send it back. Better yet, send it back to Principle Management, as opposed to U2.com, along with a note saying why it's being sent back. Perhaps everyone uses the same or a similar note, and the point gets across...

I think this is a great idea! Not a member - been to four of the last five Sydney concerts without a presale code and never saw any other value in it. Fully support y'all in this though and it's confirmed very strongly that I made the right decision in not joining.

There's absolutely no excuse for one of the biggest, wealthiest bands in the world to have a shithouse online presence, especially when they're always banging on about technology. Poor form.

Offline Kit

• Wanderer
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 06:22:02 AM »

The only way to really solve this is to get word directly to the members of U2, if anyone has an 'in', or through concerts (I think somebody mentioned signs that could be held up at gigs etc)..........

Good point. But this would go out to those who will finally see the band in the US this year and have waited for it so long. I can imagine it may bother some of them to take care of something thru the show, paint a sign or banner and make sure, they see it instead of just enjoying the show they have waited for so long. But yes, they will play a lot of gigs in the US, maybe we'll find some fans here who will bring a sign to the show so the band sees something goes wrong.

I don't think suggestions to U2.com will change anything. Because I'm sure a lot of fans already suggested ideas in mails etc. since many of the subscribers are unhappy for some years now. And if the final result of those suggestions is Duals? You see how interested U2.com is in suggestions.
[/color]

Good point.

Offline bwm231163

• Stateless
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 07:00:24 AM »
I am a little confused by this whole thing. If you don't like U2.com, don't subscribe to U2.com. Suddenly your problem is solved.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2011, 07:07:26 AM »
I am a little confused by this whole thing. If you don't like U2.com, don't subscribe to U2.com. Suddenly your problem is solved.

I think the point is, though, that a band this big should really be making better use of social media/website to promote themselves... and to give paying fans a little extra... when lesser bands ask for less money on their websites but give you so much more. U2.com feels very corporate. Which confuses me. From a band who used to be about rebellion and pushing barriers.

'Course. We all get conservative as we grow older....

Offline XXXU2XXX

• Babyface
  • beLIEve
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2011, 07:20:14 AM »
looks like over at u2.com they are saying the same thing,and Baja the a forum mod. is sending posts to management.                   

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011, 07:38:50 AM »
I've thought this before, baja must have one of the most frustrating jobs.