Author Topic: Boycott of u2.com  (Read 47112 times)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
Re: Boycott of u2.com
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2011, 07:44:12 AM »
I may have to log into my account and comment on that thread.... I am not even sure I've posted ONCE on that site. After signing up there, and then finding this site, this one kind of took over for me....

LittleDany

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2011, 07:54:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am a little confused by this whole thing. If you don't like U2.com, don't subscribe to U2.com. Suddenly your problem is solved.

Many have been members for years/decades (!) and suddenly you pay more and get less. And DUALS is the final drop to flow the can over - for them it's jsut enough. Being a fan means, you're interested in supporting the band, of course. And many fans like to support by just being part of the official fanclub. But obviously U2.com switched into a faceless, moneyseeking business only - I understand they're a commercial company, they of course want to earn money. But currently they're biting the hand that feeds them. Look at the examples of R.E.M. or Pearl Jam subscriptions. Cheaper and you get much more in trade.  If you want something from your fans, you have to give them something. They want our money? Fine. So they need to give us something that it's worth the money.

Like I said, the past U2.com releases were mostly really okay, adding the presale code and it's okay for me - $50 may be too much for this, though. But THAT cd is a bad joke. Really. I expected some unknown, unreleased tunes, not new ones, old live recordings would have been really okay. But that is ridiculous. The more I read about past problems with U2.com I'm getting more and more sad that U2 let such a crappy institution do their official representation. And I bet they don't know.

And: Just to sign off and go away won't change anything. They will fill the lack of members by raising the fee and new fans will pay it. No. We need to change something and we will do this the way, Bono taught us: Raising our voices, as many of us as we can get together. Letters, mails, petitions. signs in the shows - we have to use our voice.

Of course we should suggest things. But not to U2.com but to the band and Principal. I would happily pay a 30-40$ a year for real exclusive things which can be:
- The band writing own blog posts (hell, Bono knows how to use a Computer, he writes a column for the Times and Le Monde, he can write one for us!)
- packages with real fan stuff for free, for ALL members (ie. the wallets back then were nice, but only for UK!! members) with shirts, buttons, posters (you can not buy at the store)
- a working European store with ALL available items (the nicest things you only find on US store and the shipping IS to high) plus fanclub only merch
- random prizes or prizes for  competitions like meet & greets, exclusive signed stuff - even Larrys used drum heads would be great for that!
- REAL videos with complete songs from concerts, interviews, sessions - LONG, HIGH QUALITY and of course also for download
- ask the band - feature, with answers every now and then of course (did this with a drummer I was a webmaster for, collected questions in the forum, when 20 or so were there, he wrote answers, took him about 15mins)
- discount on tickets
- more exclusive mp3-downloads
- a REAL EXCLUSIVE cd

...you name it. We all have ideas that can easily be realized by the band and a real good team behind U2.com.

My first and most important suggestion: replace the entire team running U2.com

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2011, 08:56:29 AM »
Over on the U2.com this caught my eye: "This limited edition release, curated by the band, is pressed up in a custom-designed sleeve and made available only to U2.com subscribers. ('U2 Duals' will not be available for sale in shops or online)."

I think it's pretty clear they knew what we were getting.

Offline bwm231163

• Stateless
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2011, 08:59:23 AM »
And: Just to sign off and go away won't change anything. They will fill the lack of members by raising the fee and new fans will pay it. No. We need to change something and we will do this the way, Bono taught us: Raising our voices, as many of us as we can get together. Letters, mails, petitions. signs in the shows - we have to use our voice.

But why do you need to change things? It is a band fanclub and is really not very important. When Bono speaks about activism, he is describing standing up against political persecution, third world exploitation and the denial of human rights. You are talking about activism because you don't like the tracklist of a fan club CD. I think people really need to get a bit of perspective. If you feel the site is not worth the money, just don't subscribe.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2011, 09:00:31 AM »
looks like over at u2.com they are saying the same thing,and Baja the a forum mod. is sending posts to management.                   

I'll post a link on that thread to come over here. Fingers crossed i don't get banned  ;D

LittleDany

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2011, 09:03:53 AM »
Sure, they took part in the CD. They maybe had not much time for it since they're currently doing a lot of other things. But the DUALS itself is not the main problem here. It was just the last step, that was too much. Still it's kinda ridiculous.

Maybe U2.com told them whatever - like we would get other stuff this year "oh yeah, we give out some shirts, don't worry guys *dark laugh*"

Or maybe - they just put the sentence there to impress fans "oh yes U2 really care bout you".

LittleDany

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2011, 09:08:37 AM »

But why do you need to change things? It is a band fanclub and is really not very important. When Bono speaks about activism, he is describing standing up against political persecution, third world exploitation and the denial of human rights. You are talking about activism because you don't like the tracklist of a fan club CD. I think people really need to get a bit of perspective. If you feel the site is not worth the money, just don't subscribe.

That CD is not what I care about in the main case! If we don't start to change something in small amounts, how can we be able to change anything at all? Well for me it's that I stand up for things I love, things I wanna support and if this includes bettering a fanclub, last but not least for those who come after us, what's wrong with it? We love U2 - why not helping them improve such things to get new fans, to please more long time fans? What's wrong about that, really?

Oh, and isn't he talkng about debts and big companies making to much money? Trying to get their profit with (RED)? So what's wrong with showing him, his internet "face" is exactly such a faceless, moneyseeking company??
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:31:40 PM by StrongGirl »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2011, 09:15:36 AM »

Look, we all acknowledge that u2.com's treatment of fans isn't exactly a catastrophe. But it is nonetheless an insult to hardcore fans. Furthermore, a lot of us aren't actually subscribed to u2.com on this thread - that's not what we're discussing. We're discussing how the people who are subscribed, and have been have been cheated out of their money (e.g. promised an exclusive CD to get them to resubscribe, only for it to be full of what they already own), or given false promises (Pittsburgh being the last show).
Our aim here is to get better treatment for the fans who were enthusiastic enough to shell out $50 for membership, and to get u2 themselves aware of the poor quality of their site.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2011, 09:30:52 AM »
So here's the new tracks that U2 has released for the fan club over the years:

Melon:Remixes for Propaganda
Numb (Gimme Some More Dignity Mix)
Stay (Underdog Mix)
Numb (The Soul Assassins Mix)
Mysterious Ways (Remixed by Massive Attack)

Medium, Rare and Remastered

Artificial Horizon
Get on Your Boots (Fish Out of Water mix)
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Live U2360 mix)
Staring at the Sun (Brothers in Rhythm Ambient mix) (only released as promo before)
Unknown Caller (Snow Patrol remix)

DUALS
Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour) (Hybrid Mix) (non-U2 track)
(Amazing Grace/Where the Streets Have No Name previously released on U2.com)

That's it.  That's what U2's fan club has been worth when it comes to music over the years.  (I'm not counting all the live material previously released).  Nine remixes, half of them crap in my opinion.  Compare that to any other major rock band.  Regardless of what you think of U2, the fan club has sucked for some time.     

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:32:37 AM by Manos73 »

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2011, 09:33:15 AM »
So, then, you're saying we should just leave it the way it is because they never gave us anything...? So we should continue to expect nothing...? When the fan clubs of OTHER BANDS are far superior for less? This is the information technology age... You have to use new mediums to reach your fans and keep them interested. It's disappointing that U2 is using 1995 antiquated internet marketing to market themselves.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »
My point was, this isn't just U2.com.  This is the band and their ID of how to best use a fan-club.  We have to get their attention to change this.   

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »
I'm not a member of U2.com and had no problem getting tickets for their 360 tour during the public sale.  But, 50 dollars is too much for membership.  I wouldn't pay it.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2011, 09:58:53 AM »
It's really ironic. I just listened to a bootleg of PopMart from Rotterdam... And Bono actually expresses a fear of "getting eaten by the corporate machine." Hmm. And he still kind of let it happen anyway.

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2011, 10:11:13 AM »
I've been reading these posts with interest.  I'm one of those fans that subscribed to Propaganda from the 80's and thought it was great.  But since U2.com arrived the fan club has speadily gone downhill.  It's purely a way to make easy money nowadays, and no consideration is shown towards fans.  I'm no longer a member.  What finished it for me was when they asked people to re-subscribe months early (7 months in my case) so you could get a pre-sale code to buy tickets  for gigs the following year (which were actually around a year after the tickets went on sale).  My view is if you are a member when tickets go on sale you should be entitled to a pre-sale code.  I didn't re-sub and let my membership finish when it was due to.  I felt sad at doing that after being a fan club member for around 25 years, but it wasn't for me anymore.  And, yes, I got the gig tickets easily without a pre-sale code.

I thought the idea of sending Duals (what an insult that is!) back to Principle Management was a great idea, if enough go back the band might just hear about it.  Also a petition would be good, I'd sign it for sure!

Offline Manos73

• Numb
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2011, 10:21:08 AM »
DUALS is already up on Wikipedia:

It would be nice if we could get something into the normal "Reception" area about the controversy it caused.  Remember that they teased us with a free track that turned out to be one of the only new things on the disc!