Author Topic: Boycott of u2.com  (Read 47099 times)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
Re: Boycott of u2.com
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2011, 10:45:26 AM »
Ok, so right now the main ideas are:
1) Mass un-subscription from u2.com
2) Sending copies of Duals to principle management
3) Signing a petition to send to u2.com to make changes

(btw does anyone know how number 3 would be carried out?)

Offline Utwoed

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Being ridiculous is something I hold dear
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Principle Management
(Music Artists Management Company)
250 West 57th Street
Suite 2120
New York, NY 10107
USA
Phone: (212) 765-2330
Fax: (212) 765-2372

Principle Management
(Music Artists Management Company)
30/32 Sir John Rogerson's Quay
Dublin 2
Ireland
Phone: +353 (0)1 6777 330
Fax: +353 (0)1 6777 276

streetmission

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2011, 11:42:52 AM »
I became a fan later in U2's existence (2002) but was a member of U2.com from its inception, up until late 2009.  I let my membership lapse because it just was too much money for too little.  The last CD I got was Medium, Rare, & Remastered.

I got fed up with the lack of information and difficult useability of U2.com (it seems like they never post news on that site; I don't even visit U2.com anymore).  What really stung me, as Northern Star brought up, was realizing that if I used my presale code early in the year, then U2 added shows for my part of the world I had to renew early to have access to presales for the additional shows.  Really?  What a rip-off!

Even though I haven't been a member for over a year, I would be willing to sign a petition/letter that reflected my frustrations with the fan club and why I allowed my membership to lapse.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:31:43 PM by streetmission: [U2 moves to the rhythm of my soul] »

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »
I just sent in a fax expressing my displeasure.  I wasn't mean or disrespectful but surely annoyed.

streetmission

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2011, 11:53:33 AM »
I know we've been waffling a bit about whether or not to go public with this, but if we do decide to approach Rolling Stone or another news outlet with a story I just thought of a catchy title:

"October:  The Fall of U2.com" 8)

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
  • U2 has disappointed me. My entire collection 4sale
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2011, 12:28:24 PM »

If we did #1 properly (many all at once) we may not need the other two - but they are great ideas!  I'm certainly willing to pull the plug on my membership.  I get more out of @u2 anyway.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »
I know we've been waffling a bit about whether or not to go public with this, but if we do decide to approach Rolling Stone or another news outlet with a story I just thought of a catchy title:

Hey! Is this a rip on my favorite U2 album. *stomps foot*  >:( >:( >:(

Let's not go slamming other U2-related things in our anger over U2.com.

streetmission

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »

Hey!  Not a rip on the album.  Actually, "October" is my favorite U2 album as well!

I just thought it was a clever title because October is in the middle of autumn/fall.  And part of the lyrics to the song are: 
"October
And kingdoms rise
And kingdoms fall
But you go on and on"

So I thought it kind of represented our view that U2.com may have fallen, but U2 goes on and we still love them! :)

Offline u2wanderer

• Babyface
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2011, 02:25:39 PM »
As the moderators at Zootopia on u2.com are forwarding all complaints made in ZooTopia to management, it may be important for people to comment there as well and express the displeasure they feel towards this release.  So maybe you could suggest everyone to take a moment to go over there as well and add their views to the two topics that have been set up?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (Free Account Users)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (Paid Subscribers)

If you are a paid subscriber, I suggest that you post in the paid topic.  Nothing will go further than knowing a bunch of paying customers are upset I would expect.  You may have to be logged in to see these links.

Offline Chrisedge

• Wanderer
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »
Glad I just re-subscribed this morning. Boycott away.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2011, 02:31:20 PM »

Hey!  Not a rip on the album.  Actually, "October" is my favorite U2 album as well!

I just thought it was a clever title because October is in the middle of autumn/fall.  And part of the lyrics to the song are: 
"October
And kingdoms rise
And kingdoms fall
But you go on and on"

So I thought it kind of represented our view that U2.com may have fallen, but U2 goes on and we still love them! :)

Oh, okay. I'll forgive you. I'm a bit oversensitive about October. ;)

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2011, 02:32:20 PM »

i think all three. just thinking perhaps we should try and attach some common message (or just a simple slogan) to the cd's so its clear there is a group of people doing it and less likely to be disregarded. then individuals could still chuck on whatever they want in addition.

theres a free petition online site You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login among many others. just needs us to agree on the text for the petition statement

i'd have a burl but i'm off sick today so no energy sorry.

As the moderators at Zootopia on u2.com are forwarding all complaints made in ZooTopia to management, it may be important for people to comment there as well and express the displeasure they feel towards this release.  So maybe you could suggest everyone to take a moment to go over there as well and add their views to the two topics that have been set up?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (Free Account Users)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (Paid Subscribers)

If you are a paid subscriber, I suggest that you post in the paid topic.  Nothing will go further than knowing a bunch of paying customers are upset I would expect.  You may have to be logged in to see these links.

good idea. dont think this should be our only course tho. should still do the other three above

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2011, 03:30:19 PM »
I'm not a member of U2.com, but I will join. I hate that website! It makes the band look so bad. And Duals is a joke. I knew it would be this bad before the track listing was released.

My dad actually subscribed to U2.com to get presale tickets for the Philly concert (in Fall 2009) and we never got our Artificial Horizon CD!!!

Offline Parkhead080893

• Wanderer
  • In the shadow, boy meets man
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
I can't justify re subscribing after this joke of a cd. It got me looking into other artists websites, to see what they offered fans. I really struggled to find artists that actually charged their fans never mind charging $50. REM only wanted $10. I think regardless of the cd $50 is just far too much to ask fans to pay. What I really want to use the official website for is breaking news, but again they are always second best on U2 related news. For example take the Paul Mcguiness quote on the new album, now if he has actually said it then why has it not been reported from U2.com. I understand that they are not going to comment on rumours but this has come from the bands manager !!

Does anyone know if Principle Management have an email address to complain ?

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »
Duals is the Mubarak of U2.com