Author Topic: Boycott of u2.com  (Read 45729 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Boycott of u2.com
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2011, 05:43:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone know if Principle Management have an email address to complain ?

No, Principle Management don't feel that this new-fangled 'email' technology will ever take off. They find the creation of a 'website' something that they probably should do, but really, it's not going to catch on.

your best bet is use carrier pigeon.

Ok they probably do have one. i just don't know it.

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2011, 05:45:39 PM »
Does anyone know if Principle Management have an email address to complain ?

your best bet is use carrier pigeon.

:D :D :D :D

Awesome.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2011, 06:06:19 PM »
We've got some great plans here guys, but we also need to consider the demands, otherwise the conversation will go like this:

u2.com: Ok, you have our attention, what do you guys want?
us: Derp

So what exactly do we want changed? Let's (try to) keep it realistic.
To get the ball rolling:

CDs made up entirely of exclusive content, songs that the hardest of hardcore fans wouldn't have.

Official bootlegs of some, if not all shows - we know they can do this: every so often they have video clips of recent shows on the home page, and the visual and audio quality is great. If the higher ups can do that, if Pearl Jams website can do it, so can u2. Especially if they're charging $50

More involvement from the band, or from someone who regularly talks to the band, like Coldplay.coms 'oracle', who talks to the band and answers fans questions about what the band is up to. If the band could directly (or through an 'oracle') answer fan questions, or make more videos of what they're up to (like adam's studio clips, or Bono's 'a day in the life of the Edge'), it would be great.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2011, 06:18:55 PM »
Hey put [Boycott Duals] in your name if your in.

Offline dubzoo

• Wanderer
  • Every poet is a thief!
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2011, 06:32:06 PM »
I feel disheartened by all of this. I was a Propaganda subscriber for many years and I feel we have been cheated. Yes, I would like to give up my subscription but then I would have to be at the back of the line to get tickets. Sadly, I am on board but wave the flag of discontent.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2011, 07:23:34 PM »
jamie, can't add anything to those, would provide a pretty good fan experience.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:28:41 PM by soapit »

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
We've got some great plans here guys, but we also need to consider the demands, otherwise the conversation will go like this:

u2.com: Ok, you have our attention, what do you guys want?
us: Derp

So what exactly do we want changed? Let's (try to) keep it realistic.
To get the ball rolling:

CDs made up entirely of exclusive content, songs that the hardest of hardcore fans wouldn't have.

Official bootlegs of some, if not all shows - we know they can do this: every so often they have video clips of recent shows on the home page, and the visual and audio quality is great. If the higher ups can do that, if Pearl Jams website can do it, so can u2. Especially if they're charging $50

More involvement from the band, or from someone who regularly talks to the band, like Coldplay.coms 'oracle', who talks to the band and answers fans questions about what the band is up to. If the band could directly (or through an 'oracle') answer fan questions, or make more videos of what they're up to (like adam's studio clips, or Bono's 'a day in the life of the Edge'), it would be great.

I love all those ideas.

Really the only thing I want is exclusive to mean exclusive. There is literally nothing members get of value from u2.com. I guess that's not really descriptive....earlier when I said I'll think of some ideas, what I really meant is I'll wait around to agree with you.  :D

***As a side note...to those saying they join only for the presale, I urge you to stop doing that for several reasons:
1. You can get the tickets you want through other various fan presales (further evidencing that u2.com membership is worthless)
2. You can get the tickets you want if you get online immediately when tickets go on sale.
3. Ticketmaster will always release more tickets. Keep checking. Especially closer to the concert date
4. 2 GAs at face value plus the membership cost are going to be almost the same amount you'd pay for scalped tickets on Stubhub/other ticket broker websites. More when you factor in several years worth of membership
5. You do not have first pick at tickets anymore. Your choice for seats will be just as good during the public sale as it is for the u2.com presale. Don't believe me? Try it next time tickets go on sale. Try for the $250 immediately when tickets go on sale during the presale and try it again during the public sale. You will find no difference. If you're trying to get seats, the best ones will always be gone anyway. Sorry if I'm being cynical, but local promoters, corporations, sponsors, friends of sponsors, etc. will always have first pick. It's sad, but it's reality. Okay I'm off my soapbox now.  ;D

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »
 :D That's ok, as long as you guys think they're good ideas. Maybe at the end of of the demands/suggestions, we could put "Really, we just want exclusive to mean exclusive". let them know we want to be getting our moneys worth.
As for the petition, what exactly should it say? It has to be pretty concise. Something about better treatment of fans, too much money, no good exclusive offerings etc... but summed up.
Sorry i haven't posted more ideas/drafts, but i've been writing essays, and it's very tiring  :(  ;D

u2ireland

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »
I think some of these ideas are way over their head. You're asking too much!!!! I think before they do anything "extra" they need to start at the beginning.  They need to have a fully functioning website, store, and competent customer service. Currently they don't have any of those! They should take a few lessons from Bon Jovi. I've only seen a small bit of how they run Bon Jovi and from the little I've seen, it is 1000x better.

I only became a member in 2009, placed an order from the shop and they royally screwed that up for months and months. Then when I renewed I could no longer access my membership, home page, the paid sections etc. I was totally erased. I sent email after email for months and months no response! I posted on the boards to only get a rude reply from the mods. All this time they had my membership money! I finally was able to access my page by changing my login info.-(no help from them), only to find out that all my stuff was gone! I still haven't received any help from anyone! And my page says I've been a member for only 2 weeks. The "customer service" over there is non-existent. I will not be renewing my membership and wish I hadn't this last time. That place totally SUCKS! It totally amazes me that U2 would be affiliated with such a mess.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »
no worries man take ur time. no complaints from those who are less motivated. if anyone gets antsy they can draft something themselves.

i honestly think its all just a result of too much outsourcing and the band not willing or able to keep track of things at this stage of their career (bonus guitar picks etc) but if they wanna be current they got put the work in. or they can go into semi retirement like most old bands. they cant have it both ways tho.

and its not over their heads. they just need to get motivated and fix it. it's seriously not that hard, they've got a year before the next fan club release and no more presales for a while so they can concentrate on the basics for a while.

u2ireland

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »

and its not over their heads. they just need to get motivated and fix it. it's seriously not that hard, they've got a year before the next fan club release and no more presales for a while so they can concentrate on the basics for a while.
[/quote]

I was being sarcastic! But they do need to fix the basics first. I don't think it's difficult. But look what/who we are dealing with!

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2011, 10:25:49 PM »
u2ireland, i think you make a good point - the very basics need to get sorted first. Perhaps the 'demands' can focus on having competent customer service, honest tour announcements etc, and then we can move on to suggestions like bootlegs and genuinely exclusive material etc.

So, to map this out, i'd guess the message to u2.com would involve:

1)Starting off with a basic statement about fan dissatisfaction, how we think fans are being treated poorly, and that we want things to change.
2)Informing them that a boycott and petition have been organised, and that the website will be viewed with disdain by fans until changes are made.
3)Listing the general problems everyone has with the site.
4)Listing specifically what we want changed (customer service, shipping issues, tour announcements, genuine exclusives etc)
5)Stating the exclusives offered by the site aren't good enough, and suggesting things that would make the site worth $50, e.g. official bootlegs.

Does that sound good?
Parts 1 and 2 just need an eloquent writer, but we're gonna need everyone to think of the key issues to put into sections 3, 4 and 5. I'm not sure on my own what to add.
What are (3) the general problems, (4) what specifically has to be changed, and (5) what extras/exclusive content should be available?

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2011, 10:29:01 PM »
in 5) i would give a few examples of other band sites and what they provide for less.

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »
Attempting to craft a message...

Offline rantard

• Wanderer
  • vision over visibility
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2011, 12:28:38 AM »
If U2 want to maintain relevance, create hits, and expand their fan base while retaining longtime listeners, it's time to take some steps backwards. It's time for them to manage things themselves. They are powerful enough to ax their relationships with jumbo mega-corporations and reconnect with their fans in places other than concert venues. This seems to be the only time they REALLY connect with us.

I'm a member, but have had buyer's remorse every year for the past three year's that I've paid my $40 or $50 bucks.

Duals sucks. Member exclusives like access to ALL their music videos and ALL their songs is cool, but if you're a real fan you're listening to your own collection all the time anyway.

Pre-Sale codes are a real joke nowadays. I should know, I've worked for Live Nation and the House of Blues.

My Idea of an Exclusive Fan Club Release:

1. An Album featuring unreleased or unheard Acoustic versions of various tracks
2. Free Live MP3 Album from a show of our choice.
3. An Album of Cover Songs by people they admire that we haven't heard before
4. A copy of Wide Awake In Europe. Why couldn't they make this a Fan Club Only release?

I'd like to see more direct interaction from the band members. It also might be time for them to part ways with Paul McGuinness. He's the one streamlining their organization and he seems to be running out of good ideas after 30 years.

Boycott Options:

1. I like the idea of sending Duals to Principle
2. Post your concerns on U2.com forum
3. Fax your letter of disconnect (written intelligently but from the heart) directly to Principle
4. Share the ATU2 poll results on U2.com
5. Send comments and concerns via email to Live Nation President and CEO, Michael Rapino and CEO of Global Touring, Arthur Fogel. If they have the same email format as most Live Nation staff, it's their first name (period) last name @ livenation.com

Whatever they're thinking of calling their next album they should change it to "We're Sorry" or "For The Fans" or "Oops"