Author Topic: Boycott of u2.com  (Read 45249 times)

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
Re: Boycott of u2.com
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2011, 01:11:05 PM »
so someone claiming to be an admin at u2.com has PM'd me saying if i'd like to discuss the issues with the website then please contact him on xxx email address.

personally i don't really think i can add anything in a discussion beyond what is in the petition text, i think its pretty solid actually (again excellent work gnmet).

my instinct is to just politely say 'all our issues are listed clearly in the petition as well as potential improvements, i can't imagine being able to add any information through discussions. if you have any specific any questions i will do my best to answer'.

what do you guys think. i'm certainly not up for getting into some kind of negotiation on behalf of everyone. none of the stuff we've suggested is that complicated and its really their job to get into the nuts and bolts of it.

maybe i should just craft a response to him a show it here and see what yous think.

streetmission

« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »
A crafted response sounds good.  Things are pretty well laid out in the petition.  If he has specific questions, sure.  You can try to answer them, or run them by us before answering them.

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
so someone claiming to be an admin at u2.com has PM'd me saying if i'd like to discuss the issues with the website then please contact him on xxx email address.

personally i don't really think i can add anything in a discussion beyond what is in the petition text, i think its pretty solid actually (again excellent work gnmet).

my instinct is to just politely say 'all our issues are listed clearly in the petition as well as potential improvements, i can't imagine being able to add any information through discussions. if you have any specific any questions i will do my best to answer'.

what do you guys think. i'm certainly not up for getting into some kind of negotiation on behalf of everyone. none of the stuff we've suggested is that complicated and its really their job to get into the nuts and bolts of it.

maybe i should just craft a response to him a show it here and see what yous think.

I'd be happy to "negotiate" if they want to contact me; I think I did a decent job with the letter I wrote :P

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #198 on: March 02, 2011, 01:29:13 PM »

My guess is that the mods over there want to avoid at all costs our discontent getting back to the band, but they probably have no power to effect the changes we want. I would be wary of any kind of parley that fails to address the root problems.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #199 on: March 02, 2011, 01:55:17 PM »

My guess is that the mods over there want to avoid at all costs our discontent getting back to the band, but they probably have no power to effect the changes we want. I would be wary of any kind of parley that fails to address the root problems.

Yeah, well pointed out - we shouldn't settle for a compromise if they're not even willing to let the band know about this. Soapit, i recommend you give MelicansMatkin the admins email, but i think it would be a good idea if everything this admin says from now on is posted here, so that everyone involved with this petition knows what the circumstances are, what can/can't/should be done etc, so we can make informed decisions.

Oh, and about the discontent not getting back to the band.going public:
 :D

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #200 on: March 02, 2011, 02:44:25 PM »
I'd be willing to help in anyway as well, but I'm a bit suspicious of some random guy PMing you claiming to be an admin.  This kind of thing happens all the time on Xbox Live and usually ends in some sort of scam.

But if they are legit then we should definitely try to contact them.  Our problems are pretty well put out in the petition, but talking to an admin can't hurt. I agree with Jamie about posting everything on here.  We wrote the petition essentially as a group, so we should also handle this development as a group.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #201 on: March 02, 2011, 03:24:04 PM »

Yeah, well pointed out - we shouldn't settle for a compromise if they're not even willing to let the band know about this. Soapit, i recommend you give MelicansMatkin the admins email, but i think it would be a good idea if everything this admin says from now on is posted here, so that everyone involved with this petition knows what the circumstances are, what can/can't/should be done etc, so we can make informed decisions.

Oh, and about the discontent not getting back to the band.going public:
 :D

WOW!! That's awesome!!

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #202 on: March 02, 2011, 03:27:30 PM »
I'd be willing to help in anyway as well, but I'm a bit suspicious of some random guy PMing you claiming to be an admin.  This kind of thing happens all the time on Xbox Live and usually ends in some sort of scam.

But if they are legit then we should definitely try to contact them.  Our problems are pretty well put out in the petition, but talking to an admin can't hurt. I agree with Jamie about posting everything on here.  We wrote the petition essentially as a group, so we should also handle this development as a group.

Glad you agree!  :) I think we'll make the best decisions if they're collective, and this is a good opportunity to practice that.
I agree it's good to be wary of anyone contacting you online, but as long as he/she doesn't ask for something odd (bank details?  :D ), and we keep everything they say public, in this thread, then it should be fine, and it should become clear pretty quickly whether they're genuine or not.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #203 on: March 02, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »
ok so i think i will say.

"hi,

I believe that our issues with U2.com are pretty clearly detailed in the petition along with suggested features that would improve the U2.com experience (with examples of features provided on behalf of other bands) so i suspect further discussion from us would just be reiterating what is contained in the petition text.

However if you were able to pass the text up the food chain at U2.com then that would be great and if you or anyone else would like any further information please PM me as i am happy to try and answer any questions you may have (with input from the others who contributed to organising this petition).

regards

Al

ps: as the email you have provided does not seem to come from a domain affiliated with U2 can you please provide some evidence that you are in fact an admin for U2.com as you claim to be and not a spammer. i am a member of U2.com also with this same username so maybe you could PM me over there from your admin account"

whaddyas think?

i wouldn't get too excited as looking at his email it's from an @me address so seems a bit dodgy but we will see. i'm going to PM only i think. don't want someone dodgy getting my email. dont think there's anything that could go wrong with letting them know i'm also a memember over at u2.com with the same UN

i will definitely post anything i get back on here and wont respond to anything without input from you guys. i dont think we should get involved in negotiating really though. we've made our case clearly and its up to them to sort it out. i dont necessarily expect them to do everything but we shouldnt be the ones to pick and choose which is more important from the list. it's not a debate after all.

edit: so i checked this guys username over at u2.com and he does seem to be some kind of admin so maybe it is legit. we will see anyway
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:35:09 PM by soapit »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #204 on: March 02, 2011, 04:37:42 PM »
soapit, that draft is fine with me if it is with everyone else!
I look forward to hearing what this admin says next  :)

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #205 on: March 02, 2011, 04:40:52 PM »
yeah wouldnt mind taking it slow for now as well while the signatures are still coming through fairly strongly

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #206 on: March 02, 2011, 04:44:25 PM »
Yeah, i'm really happy about the sudden surge in signatures. It's good to know that we're getting attention now, and we haven't even gotten to the 'final stage' yet (which was to send the petition to u2.com, livenation etc).

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #207 on: March 02, 2011, 04:49:26 PM »
Well U2.com knows of it; no doubt they will be keeping a close eye on the number of signatures!

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #208 on: March 02, 2011, 04:58:20 PM »
yeah it was funny my hopes for the numbers kept going down, i at first thought who knows we may get 5000, then i thought oh well 1000's a pretty good number, then after a few days i thought oh well 500's alright, then i thought well 300's still a fair few people, just being all optimistic.

pretty glad its gotten over the thousand mark though (or will very shortly)

streetmission

« Reply #209 on: March 02, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »
soapit, that draft is fine with me if it is with everyone else!
I look forward to hearing what this admin says next  :)

Yeah, that draft is fine with me as well.