Author Topic: Boycott of u2.com  (Read 44875 times)

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
Re: Boycott of u2.com
« Reply #210 on: March 02, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »
The draft is fine with me as too.  Great that the petition is getting commented by others now and that it is almost has 1000 signatures.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #211 on: March 02, 2011, 06:09:15 PM »
I'm good with this too. And I think that it's a good sign that I started to see it get passed around in FB.

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #212 on: March 02, 2011, 06:13:35 PM »
Just 3 signatures short of breaking 1000.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2011, 06:17:39 PM »
I wonder what the total membership is for u2.com...

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #214 on: March 02, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
I'm good too and these numbers are pretty impressive, its now at 1010.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #215 on: March 02, 2011, 07:46:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm good too and these numbers are pretty impressive, its now at 1010.

Damn. That's only 10 binary people.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #216 on: March 02, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »
so i sent the response. i'll let yous know as soon as i hear anything.

Offline bigwave

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #217 on: March 03, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »
Hi all,

just a short note to say the issues you raise in your petition have been addressed in an update posted just now on the U2.com forums, by the U2comTeam :

best wishes

Bigwave (U2.com Community Pages admin & moderator).

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #218 on: March 03, 2011, 11:05:14 AM »
I think they made this a no reply thread. I tried to nicely reply that Cape Town was great except that it was already being broadcast by a South African station. If the site provided this kind of service more often when other places werent already doing it, that would definitely be a value added service that I think all of us would appreciate and feel worth our money. ALSO, I like the idea of having access to live recordings of shows I'd attended....

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #219 on: March 03, 2011, 11:09:33 AM »
You don't need to follow U2 continuously to have access to the album tracks. I can walk to HMV and buy Zooropa with The Wanderer on it today. It is the inclusion of the album tracks that has us most infuriated.

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
« Reply #220 on: March 03, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
You don't need to follow U2 continuously to have access to the album tracks. I can walk to HMV and buy Zooropa with The Wanderer on it today. It is the inclusion of the album tracks that has us most infuriated.

iTunes as well, if you can subscribe to U2.com you can probably use iTunes.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #221 on: March 03, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »
thanks for the news bigwave, i've posted a link on the main petition thread. i also responded personally ie not on behalf of everyone, there as follows

"thats good news mel. additionally they have posted a comment here. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which makes a couple of minor quibbles to the content of the petition (in contradiction to our unscientifically collected anecdotal evidence) but the tone is generally positive and sounds promising.

they are also make a slight attempt at defending duals based on 1. people putting alot of work into it, 2. in their words "And it's fair to say that if you've been following the band continually since the very early days, you might have collected these tracks, but for everyone else, there's some great music here"

my thoughts on this
1. its always hard receiving negative feedback to your work but it can help you in the long run and i think its fair to say they didnt have had to work as hard as they would have if they didnt stick all those already released tracks on there
2., do they really expect a u2.com subsrcriber to not own most of the albums, even ones released prior to them becoming a fan, and significant proportion of itunes released tracks?  this seems a little naive actually especially in this day and age of easy access to music?

but yes the tone was pretty good in the post so i am mildly hopeful to see what happens. however we must keep in mind that nothing has actually changed yet so we should continue on with the petition and forward to the top level management when we are ready, just as we were before"

just my personal thoughts

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
« Reply #222 on: March 03, 2011, 11:49:23 AM »
thanks for the news bigwave, i've posted a link on the main petition thread. i also responded personally ie not on behalf of everyone, there as follows

"thats good news mel. additionally they have posted a comment here. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which makes a couple of minor quibbles to the content of the petition (in contradiction to our unscientifically collected anecdotal evidence) but the tone is generally positive and sounds promising.

they are also make a slight attempt at defending duals based on 1. people putting alot of work into it, 2. in their words "And it's fair to say that if you've been following the band continually since the very early days, you might have collected these tracks, but for everyone else, there's some great music here"

my thoughts on this
1. its always hard receiving negative feedback to your work but it can help you in the long run and i think its fair to say they didnt have had to work as hard as they would have if they didnt stick all those already released tracks on there
2., do they really expect a u2.com subsrcriber to not own most of the albums, even ones released prior to them becoming a fan, and significant proportion of itunes released tracks?  this seems a little naive actually especially in this day and age of easy access to music?

but yes the tone was pretty good in the post so i am mildly hopeful to see what happens. however we must keep in mind that nothing has actually changed yet so we should continue on with the petition and forward to the top level management when we are ready, just as we were before"

just my personal thoughts

I'm happy that they replied and I'm mildly hopeful as well.  However no has committed to doing anything and I too was a bit surprised about Duals.  It's almost as if they pretend iTunes doesn't exist.  I'm sure it took some effort to convince artists to let their duets go on the cd, but at the end of the day that's just an excuse for a bad product. 

Also, out of the six issues that were raised, only three were mentioned.  Our concerns about more exclusive content seem to have gone over their heads.  The South Africa broadcast was good, but the fact of the matter is you didn't need to be a subscriber to pick that up from the radio.  Our big issue was that there needs to be more value for our money.  I hope that they address this in the future.

Once everyone has had a chance to digest this, perhaps we send back a response on behalf of those who wrote it.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #223 on: March 03, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »
Once everyone has had a chance to digest this, perhaps we send back a response on behalf of those who wrote it.
maybe but i think we should avoid getting into a debate with them. the petition text is about as clear and as solid as it can be i reckon so going into it further with unstructured responses would only weaken it.

at this point i would suggst nothing more than 'we appreciate your positive tone in response to the petition and look forawrd to seeing what changes are in store. however until such time as something concrete actually happens we will continue with the petition' or something like that.

extra words always gives the other side more wiggle room and weakens ur point so keep it concise and on track for mine. like when ur buying a car always say little and wait for them to make the tough call.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #224 on: March 03, 2011, 12:33:20 PM »
maybe but i think we should avoid getting into a debate with them. the petition text is about as clear and as solid as it can be i reckon so going into it further with unstructured responses would only weaken it.

at this point i would suggst nothing more than 'we appreciate your positive tone in response to the petition and look forawrd to seeing what changes are in store. however until such time as something concrete actually happens we will continue with the petition' or something like that.

extra words always gives the other side more wiggle room and weakens ur point so keep it concise and on track for mine. like when ur buying a car always say little and wait for them to make the tough call.

This is a good strategy.