Author Topic: Boycott of u2.com  (Read 45793 times)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
Re: Boycott of u2.com
« Reply #225 on: March 03, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
This response from the admin on u2.com is good progress, but i think it's very important not to perceive their post acknowledging our grievances as any kind of 'success'. It's very courteous, and that is to be appreciated, but it does seem to side step the issue, the two most obvious problems being:

1) Excusing 'Duals' because "Hard work went into it" (which is, like it or not, irrelevant as it was promised to be an exclusive CD for hardcore fans who have everything, and that wasn't the case), and:
2) Side stepping the fact that other fan sites offer things like official bootlegs of shows, competitions/exclusive giveaways etc.... basically more bang for your buck.

Until they promise to make some changes (as in, give us more value for our money), we need it to be known to them that we are continuing with the petition.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:53:46 PM by JamietheEdgefan »

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #226 on: March 03, 2011, 03:22:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Once everyone has had a chance to digest this, perhaps we send back a response on behalf of those who wrote it.
maybe but i think we should avoid getting into a debate with them. the petition text is about as clear and as solid as it can be i reckon so going into it further with unstructured responses would only weaken it.

at this point i would suggst nothing more than 'we appreciate your positive tone in response to the petition and look forawrd to seeing what changes are in store. however until such time as something concrete actually happens we will continue with the petition' or something like that.

extra words always gives the other side more wiggle room and weakens ur point so keep it concise and on track for mine. like when ur buying a car always say little and wait for them to make the tough call.
Well said, and true, the petition said it all very eloquently.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #227 on: March 03, 2011, 05:53:43 PM »
guys are we happy to say

'we appreciate your respectful and generally positive tone in response to the petition and look forward to seeing any changes that are in store. however until such time as something concrete actually happens the petition will be continuing as before'.

theres just some threads up there already about their response and people are getting a bit shirty so it'd be good to send u2.com something a bit considered that we agree on.

also are we agreed that in the first instance we were going to send the petition to principle management and the band (if we can get it to them).

there's just a bit of talk about moving to phase 2 but i think thats a bit premature as phase 1 isnt really over yet. we didnt really expect u2.com to just flip over and sort it out themselves.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:57:12 PM by soapit »

streetmission

« Reply #228 on: March 03, 2011, 05:56:19 PM »
guys are we happy to say

'we appreciate your respectful and generally positive tone in response to the petition and look forward to seeing any changes that are in store. however until such time as something concrete actually happens the petition will be continuing as before'.

theres just some threads up there already about their response and people are getting a bit shirty so it'd be good to send u2.com something a bit considered that we agree on.

That's a respectful, but firm, response.  I like it.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #229 on: March 03, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »
respectful, but firm

thats me all over ha ha

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #230 on: March 03, 2011, 06:03:50 PM »
Soapit, that sounds like the perfect response - polite, but firm in our position to continue protesting until we get results. Maybe add a final line of "Acknowledgement is great. But what we want are results."
Oh, and I agree with what you said a few days ago, that we should wait for the petition to grow in signatures for a while before we move on to the next step.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #231 on: March 03, 2011, 06:34:35 PM »
It occurs to me that we might actually need to work harder now that this statement has come out.
It pretty much only states that our complaints have been noted, without promising any changes, so it's not what we were aiming for. Worse, is that many people might be willing to stop here, to assume that u2.com is really going to change, or that there's simply no point in continuing further.
So we're gonna have to step up our game!

We need to make it very clear to whoever contacted us that we are not satisfied at just being acknowledged.
We need to, when the time is right, send the petition en masse to u2.com, to livenation, to u2's facebook etc - really get this thing known!
Furthermore, in the news and rumours section, Jono has brought up the idea of the boycott again, and as an actual paid member of u2.com, he's got some weight to that idea. I've asked him to post in this thread if he wants to pursue it seriously, fingers crossed he drops by!  :) (otherwise, it's no problem - obviously we aren't forcing people to protest with us.)

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #232 on: March 03, 2011, 06:35:41 PM »
After reading it again, it was rather insulting...

So, why don't we all just cancel?
I've been a member since day 1, but my March renewal has not been paid and it may not be...

It's easy to see there is plenty of information out here on the web about our beloved U2, especially with our fav's like @U2. So, even with an 'official word' web site we still would go searching EVERYWHERE. The only advantage is the presale for me...and perhaps if they streamed ALL live shows-
And as far as the presale, even that wasn't always easy as we all know-

I was so hoping for a better repsonse from them, this was pretty much an insult as mentioned-
Didn't Adam's bro Sebastian Clayton originally set up their web-site? Let's tweet the boy!

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #233 on: March 03, 2011, 06:41:50 PM »
Thanks Jono  8)

So, what does everyone think of the idea of a boycott?
Is it a good idea to start planning it now?
Or should it be 'the nuclear option'?
And how would it be organised?

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #234 on: March 03, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »
I actually emailed the Pittsburgh Post Gazette this story. I doubt they'll report it, but I gave it a shot.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #235 on: March 03, 2011, 06:46:55 PM »
I do think they need to see numbers (ie, $$ to them) so that they know we're serious.... And really we need more signatures. I dont know what we're up to by now but I'm sure it's still piddly compared to how many people are paid members of U2.com.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #236 on: March 03, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »
yeah i'm keen for a boycott. keep me posted. just maybe be clear about what we're talking about when we post in this thread as we've got a couple of things going on in here now.

i think we need to chill a bit with the pace of it. it's not going to happen too quickly (and never was) considering all the people they'd have to get to sign off on a big overhaul. a few months (1-3) would be when i'd be expecting to start to see some actual change  (note we are a week in already now though). keep the pressure on tho by all means, just dont be to outraged when they havent fixed it all yet.

just be aware as well we should avoid giving conditions to them like "we'll be happy if you just do x and y etc" (that negotiation i was saying we should avoid earlier) as then they transfer the reponsibility for pleasing everyone onto us and we dont get paid for that responsibility.

btw actually i'm fairly pleased where the numbers are at. there are some pretty big petitions going around on national issues in the uk that i heard about this morning and they only had 50-100 thousand sigs. still the more the better obviously
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:56:36 PM by soapit »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #237 on: March 03, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »
Good call... all of you  :)
I agree soapit, it will take quite a while for results to be seen. That means we have to keep the pressure on, and perhaps step up the protest (e.g. with a boycott) if the admins start ignoring us.

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #238 on: March 03, 2011, 08:47:29 PM »
I'm cautiously optimistic. I think the posting by atu2 and Spinner subsequently picking up the story, leading to the massive burst in signatures, probably spurred this response. U2.com is almost certainly monitoring all of the discussions; both in Zootopia, and over here. They know that the fans are serious in their displeasure this time around, and so I think that they will really be working at it this time. I hope they will anyways. Spinner is relatively small; if Rolling Stone, or NME, or any other similarly sized music news organization picked it up, it would be disastrous for them. They'll be doing whatever it takes to avoid that, hencwe I think the reason for the sudden response after it appeared that none would be forthcoming.

Now to see if action actually happens, or if it is just empty promises. I have my hopes, but they have been dashed before. U2.com, please don't let us down.

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #239 on: March 03, 2011, 08:53:34 PM »
I agree with soapit's message.  We definitely should not be getting into a debate, yet they should know that a writing a nice message and then doing nothing simply doesn't cut it.

With a boycott I'm a little apprehensive.  I think the numbers on the petition are good enough to show we're serious; a boycott was something that didn't go down too well on the other sites. What worked here was that for the most part we had numbers backing up our words.  I don't know if a boycott gets us the numbers we need, more press coverage would probably be most effective.  U2.com didn't respond until that Spinner article showed up.