Author Topic: Boycott of u2.com  (Read 44512 times)

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
Re: Boycott of u2.com
« Reply #240 on: March 03, 2011, 09:13:49 PM »
I tried Alan Cross of ExploreMusic a few times via Twitter, but he never responded. Somebody else might have more luck with that than me.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #241 on: March 03, 2011, 09:22:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

With a boycott I'm a little apprehensive.  I think the numbers on the petition are good enough to show we're serious; a boycott was something that didn't go down too well on the other sites. What worked here was that for the most part we had numbers backing up our words.  I don't know if a boycott gets us the numbers we need, more press coverage would probably be most effective.  U2.com didn't respond until that Spinner article showed up.

i don't really mind. i'm not renewing regardless so whether its as an individual or i put my name to something to let them specifically know its a result of something specific. not keen to organise anything for it myself (as i think the petition is the best way to go ) but i'd sign a boycott i'd say.

i think you'd probably get lower numbers than for the petition as well (signing the petition was easier and didnt really require much of a decision/sacrifice).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:29:44 PM by soapit »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #242 on: March 04, 2011, 11:49:45 AM »
Yeah, the easy thing about getting support for the petition is that it takes a few seconds to sign. Boycotting is a much bigger commitment, and gives the people against the protests ammunition (They think it's hypocritical).
So the real focus should be the petition, although i'm all for a boycott if it can be done.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #243 on: March 04, 2011, 11:50:53 AM »
I am not planning to renew if things dont change, so boycotting would be no skin off my back either.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #244 on: March 04, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »
Good to hear MarsGirl!  :)

By the way, over on interference, on page 4 of the petition thread, user Galeongirl has very kindly posted a very comprehensive and impressive list of 'u2.com fails'.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It looks like it could be very helpful for the cause, and i'm delighted to see so many members at interference joining in with this protest!

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #245 on: March 08, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »
hi guys,

so u2.com has posted '50 videos from australia'

has anyone seen them? are they any good? i hope this isnt the only change that is coming like 'chuck a few videos up and that'll fix it'.

i think maybe at the start of next week we should forward to principle management, we're still geting signature but they are slowing a little and we can always leave it up after we've sent the letter. there seems to be some momentum and dont want it to slow too much.

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #246 on: March 08, 2011, 04:01:01 PM »
I just let my subscription lapse, but not out of malice or feeling robbed or anything.  I only pay for the membership when there's confirmed rumors of a new album/tour.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #247 on: March 09, 2011, 02:05:55 PM »
I love this post up on U2.com:

Now Playing - U2 DUALS - Three Advanced Clips:

Where the Streets Have No Name - U2 and Soweto Gospel Choir
Slow Dancing U2 and Willie Nelson
I'm Not Your Baby - U2 and Sinead O'Connor

Are there members out there that don't own these tracks yet?  U2.com just released the first one for download a few months ago!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #248 on: March 09, 2011, 02:57:39 PM »
I dont think I have the last one... :o But I havent gotten through these disks I got from another U2 fan that was supposed to cover all my non-album gaps....

Offline Voxare

• Numb
« Reply #249 on: March 09, 2011, 03:32:49 PM »
I don't have the last one either! Must do some searching tonight :)