Author Topic: U2 and The Rolling Stones?  (Read 3701 times)

Offline melbourne85

• Babyface
U2 and The Rolling Stones?
« on: October 23, 2008, 01:35:35 AM »
Hi all. Just wondering, has Mick Jagger or Keith Richards ever been on stage with U2?

If the haven't, they should so organise a bit of a walk on during the next tour. I think that would be awesome, Bono and Mick out the front, Edge and Keith over on guitar.

But what would they play?

I'd like to suggest a medley of: Vertigo/It's only rock 'n roll (but i like it)/Bad/Ruby Tuesday

or

Start Me Up/Electric co./Miss You/Discotheque

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
Re: U2 and The Rolling Stones?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 06:56:55 AM »
There's also this great story about Bono meeting Keith & Ron in 1985. Keith starts playing Stones tunes and they all sing along...then he passes the guitar to Bono asking for a U2 song...Bono is unable to play anything that raw, so...ashamed of himself, he retires to his hotel room, spends the night writing, then calls Keith & Ron back the day after that. They meet in a studio and record the very song Bono wrote that night. The song is "Silver & Gold".

hurricane hugo

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:56:13 PM »
*zips mouth shut*

:P

jdfu!

Offline Mbeede

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »
Bono joined The Stones onstage back in 2005 to sing along on It's Only Rockin Roll. He may have done another song with them, but I am not sure.

Keith did join them for Love Rescue Me in 1988. I also think he played on When Love Comes To Town but I could be wrong.

Offline Mbeede

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 02:26:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bono joined The Stones onstage back in 2005 to sing along on It's Only Rockin Roll. He may have done another song with them, but I am not sure.

Keith did join them for Love Rescue Me in 1988. I also think he played on When Love Comes To Town but I could be wrong.

I mixed those up. Keith played on When Love Comes To Town for sure!

Offline melbourne85

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 07:47:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Do you know if there is a recording of Bono singing It's Only Rock 'n Roll? I'm loving that song at the moment.

I have "IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL, BUT I LIKE IT" engraved on the back of my ipod.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 09:07:58 PM »
I remember "It's Only Rock N Roll" .. sweet rendition.

Offline Mbeede

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 09:43:04 AM »
I am not sure if there is a video of it. You may try You Tube and see if they have one. I remember when Bono was on Oprah and he talked about it. The Stones were in Chicago a day or two before Bono taped The Oprah Winfrey show.