Author Topic: A Beautiful Dinner with U2 Article  (Read 8709 times)

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
Re: A Beautiful Dinner with U2 Article
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 06:12:49 AM »

Thanks OptimaX.

I love this band more than words can say. It absolutely kills me at the moment at what they have become. I know that times have changed, but they (the band) didn't need to.  The band I have loved for 30 years used to be able to just walk into a studio, jam, and produce quite stunning music. It was magical.

To many outside influences, the need (especially Bono's) to be the BIGGEST band and not necessarily the best, the need to be loved by the public (not just their fan base) and the desire to win awards has affected their artistic drive and development since the late 90's.

[/quote]

Exactly, well said.   I too am sad at what they appear to have become now and hope they can pull themselves out of it soon.

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 10:28:30 AM »
I have a slightly different perspective on all of this. Here goes....
U2 are known to have "broken' or given lots of producers a very hard time over the years. They have their own way of working which is not like many other bands, and it works for them!
Back when Vertigo was released and they were promoting it worldwide, I remember an interview with Larry where he said something like "If one member of the band does not like the music or the album, we don't release it". I think it may be some of this going on behind the scenes, even back to the work they did with Rick Rubin some years ago.

I was not one of the fans who was ecstatic to hear that they were working with DangerMouse because I could not see how it would fit, that is, I could not see all 4 members of U2 loving the possible results enough to release it in 2011.
Now mind you, I like some of DangerMouse's work so I would be interested to hear what he would bring out of them
I for one wonder, if they cannot totally agree on their "new direction". I keep saying, that as U2 enters their 50s, that they need to work with some longtime established musician/producers like Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis who can understand and bring out their current level of musicianship to the fullest extent

If U2 was going to release a new CD in May of this year, the 'hype machine' etc would have needed to be in gear by now and I just can't see it. I got a non committal vibe from The Edge and Adam in that dinner interview.

Now before you all jump on me, I admit I could be totally wrong and off about the whole thing.  ;D  ??? However I am going on my trusted instincts here

Offline Parkhead080893

• Wanderer
  • In the shadow, boy meets man
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
What Incentive do U2 have in putting an album out in May ? It's not for the tour, the tickets have sold well regardless of wether an album comes out in May or not. I think if it's going to be this year, then it will be the usual November release to get the best sales possible.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 12:44:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If U2 was going to release a new CD in May of this year, the 'hype machine' etc would have needed to be in gear by now and I just can't see it. I got a non committal vibe from The Edge and Adam in that dinner interview.

Yup, I noticed that, too. I've decided to spare some adrenaline and only believe the new album's existence when I hold it in my hands. That's always been the best approach to deal with the hype machine.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 08:49:19 AM »
What Incentive do U2 have in putting an album out in May ? It's not for the tour, the tickets have sold well regardless of wether an album comes out in May or not. I think if it's going to be this year, then it will be the usual November release to get the best sales possible.

This makes sense to me as well.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 09:58:43 AM »

I have a hunch that we will see some of the new stuff, or variations of it, show up on Spiderman.

"Every broken web, on the floor, tells the next one there'll be no more".    (insert Edge/Lillywhite-riff).     You get the idea.