Author Topic: U2 are fighting to be relevant  (Read 7405 times)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
Re: U2 are fighting for their lives
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 04:27:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No, I really think they are fighting for their lives. They aren't a popular band in Britain. No one openly says they're a U2 fan.
I DO :)

Me too, but i always get hell for it  :-[
I don't know what made it so cool to hate u2... and i don't know how it can be changed  :(

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 04:31:05 PM »
No, I really think they are fighting for their lives. They aren't a popular band in Britain. No one openly says they're a U2 fan.
not a popular band in britain :D who were all those people i saw at wembly two concerts  then sheffield then scotland  not to mention cardiff could have swore they were all stadium gigs maybe i was wrong...the beatles packed it in early think that helped future popularity.. the other problem u2 have is that they are nearly always refered to as the number one band in the world for the last 20 years that sets them up for alot of hate and it always will i know if there was a band i did not like that kept getting that title i would hate them..as for the brits i dont think it worries them too much they are in the middle of a sell out tour in southafrica about to have the highest attended tour of all time .. tweets from u2 haters there too saying acdc who are there at the same time were a better band but alas poor acdc  fans had to settle for a much smaller concert u2 played to a 100 thousand nuff said

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 04:38:25 PM »

I don't know what made it so cool to hate u2... and i don't know how it can be changed  :(
when you are at the top u will always be hated thats just the way it is ..its when the hateing stops then u should be worried because thats when u2 will be on the slide.. its like a good football team that are always winning apart from their supporters. other people love to see them fall

Offline guinnyu2

• Stateless
  • hi, my name's frank
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 05:31:58 PM »

when you are at the top u will always be hated thats just the way it is ..its when the hateing stops then u should be worried because thats when u2 will be on the slide.. its like a good football team that are always winning apart from their supporters. other people love to see them fall

once you're at the top there's only one way to go. i think its called jealousy. U2 ARE the best band in the world...keep the faith ;D

hurricane hugo

Re: U2 are fighting for their relevancy
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 06:39:09 PM »
this again?  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

#@!

Offline rich cranium

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 09:04:29 PM »
On the other hand, if U2 start acting like Radiohead and make artistically bold and challenging music with little regard for popularity (since they're one of the only bands in a position to even consider such a thing), then the media and the culture will once again sit up and take notice.

But as it is, they're trying too hard, and it's a bit embarrassing. And sad.

PERHAPS, but radiohead are a bunch of depressive geeks. Haha.

They do try too hard though. They should be more subtle. I heard that the Edge was listening to the National, which is a good thing. I'm also really happy that Aracde Fire won album of the year awards at both the Brits and the Grammys.

I have to disagree here. Radiohead aren't as popular as U2 but their music is beautiful and you can actually purchase a CD where the whole thing is worth listening to. As far as U2 goes, I don't get the embarrassment of calling oneself a fan. I'm in the U.S. and when I say I am a huge fan of U2, the response I get is "cool". The thing you all know about U2 is that they are a rare breed as far as longevity. Sure, there are other bands still going but they have often had different band members, extremely long hiatuses, or the lack of great music that U2 has. At least U2 isn't a band that is stuck in the mud. They actually sound different on every album which is genius!

/End rant ;)

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 09:05:58 PM »
I think you cease to become relevent when people no longer debate your relevancy.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
I think you cease to become relevent when people no longer debate your relevancy.

Agree!

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »
Every time they've been written off as irrelevant by the public (Rattle & Hum, Pop), they've come out blazing (Achtung Baby, ATYCLB).  I'm just saying........

(Over/Under on ATYCLB hater posts this generates: 5)

Offline Belisama

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 09:16:54 PM »
Every time they've been written off as irrelevant by the public (Rattle & Hum, Pop), they've come out blazing (Achtung Baby, ATYCLB).  I'm just saying........

(Over/Under on ATYCLB hater posts this generates: 5)

Definitely having Pop flashbacks.

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 03:44:23 AM »

But by talking about it, doesn't it make it relevant? 

Offline Belisama

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 03:47:14 AM »

But by talking about it, doesn't it make it relevant? 

Yes, that was my point.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 06:46:16 AM »
There's something missing with U2. The Beatles are eternally loved and admired, and advertised all the time, but U2 aren't.

Well, the Beatles were only widely-known as a band for like seven years or something, and even at the tail end of that they were pretty strongly criticized by the media (so I have heard, I wasn't alive then).

When history looks back on U2 in 20 years, it will judge them to be one of the best bands of all time. Now, if U2 keeps this chub they've got for relevance and popularity, then it will tarnish their legacy a bit (like the athlete who should have retired years ago, or the TV series that ran a few seasons too long because they can't admit they've lost it).

On the other hand, if U2 start acting like Radiohead and make artistically bold and challenging music with little regard for popularity (since they're one of the only bands in a position to even consider such a thing), then the media and the culture will once again sit up and take notice.

But as it is, they're trying too hard, and it's a bit embarrassing. And sad.

I strongly believe this to be true.   I will also stand by what I have said in the past.....it will be The Joshua Tree ( not Achtung Baby) that will be the album they will be remembered by most as their "masterpiece".  Just my humble opinion.

I lived through U2' s entire career. What they have manage to accomplish is nothing short of extraordinary. Sure, they've made mistakes as all great artists sometimes do. They are not perfect. But they will go down as one of the greatest rock n roll bands in the history of music.   I am so thrilled to have been a part of it all.   I guess they were my Beatles  ;)

I will add that I wish they would not worry what others think. They should do what feels right to them musically. I happen to think No Line did just this. So it wasn't considered a big hit. At the end of the day, you should put out what you are proud of. It is your vision. Some fans will see that and others won't. That is ok.   I don't like every U2 album but that does not mean I think any less of them as artists. They have given me great joy and comfort. They have managed to touch my heart and soul in ways I can't even describe in words. They will always be very special to me no matter what they decide to do and no matter what is said about them by others.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:54:07 AM by StrongGirl »

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 07:09:28 AM »
I strongly believe this to be true.   I will also stand by what I have said in the past.....it will be The Joshua Tree ( not Achtung Baby) that will be the album they will be remembered by most as their "masterpiece".  Just my humble opinion.

I lived through U2' s entire career. What they have manage to accomplish is nothing short of extraordinary. Sure, they've made mistakes as all great artists sometimes do. They are not perfect. But they will go down as one of the greatest rock n roll bands in the history of music.   I am so thrilled to have been a part of it all.   I guess they were my Beatles  ;)

I will add that I wish they would not worry what others think. They should do what feels right to them musically. I happen to think No Line did just this. So it wasn't considered a big hit. At the end of the day, you should put out what you are proud of. It is your vision. Some fans will see that and others won't. That is ok.   I don't like every U2 album but that does not mean I think any less of them as artists. They have given me great joy and comfort. They have managed to touch my heart and soul in ways I can't even describe in words. They will always be very special to me no matter what they decide to do and no matter what is said about them by others.

Well said, as long as the band are happy with the music they are creating that's all that matters, that's why it's such a joy to watch and listen to U2, because you can always tell they really believe in their songs.

And I agree that The Joshua Tree will be viewed as their masterpiece, although I personally think Achtung Baby is their best album  ;)

Offline mysterious ways

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 08:05:03 AM »
Boys and girls it's difficult for me to say what I want to say because of my english, but I'll try. U2 are often underestimated because of the mix between originality and great success (I mean big shows, money, millions of fans). I don't know why but sometimes these things seem to be uncool. This is stupid of course. They are the greatest band in the world and the only band of 80's that is still great in 2011. But many people does not understand it. This is strange and for me it's impossible to understand. But I'm italian: look at our prime minister. Everything is possible.