Author Topic: U2 are fighting to be relevant  (Read 7403 times)

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
Re: U2 are fighting for their lives
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No, I really think they are fighting for their lives. They aren't a popular band in Britain. No one openly says they're a U2 fan.

The huge, diverse crowd I saw at Wembley Stadium could've fooled me.
The music industry has changed drastically over the last 10 years and people aren't sure how U2 fits into this new model. Charts, marketing etc has changed and because people don't see U2 in the charts all the time like they used to, they suspect they may be not as relevant. As a fan since the early 80s, I can remember when U2 were kind of an underground worldwide fan fave but they were not at the top of the pop charts.

No matter, U2 has had an unique career in the rock n roll world. Many of their contemporaries that people swore would last and would be bigger than them have not been able to do so, and have fallen by the wayside.
Just because Bono annoys people and U2 is now heading into their 50s does not mean that they will fade away quietly.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Re: U2 are fighting for their relevancy
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 11:32:16 AM »
U2 should take note of what Springsteen did when he hit 50. He worked his a$$ off for a decade. 3 successful albums and tours with the E Street Band. A solo album and tour and an album and tour with a big band playing traditional songs.

Springsteen tried different types of music and didn't take 4 years to make each album. By making a solo album and an album with a big band he wasn't worried about sales and trying to be the biggest act in the world, he was just trying to make great music.

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 11:37:01 AM »
U2 should take note of what Springsteen did when he hit 50. He worked his a$$ off for a decade. 3 successful albums and tours with the E Street Band. A solo album and tour and an album and tour with a big band playing traditional songs.

Springsteen tried different types of music and didn't take 4 years to make each album. By making a solo album and an album with a big band he wasn't worried about sales and trying to be the biggest act in the world, he was just trying to make great music.

Agreed.  Springsteen had arguably his most productive decade in his fifties.

The charts are the last thing U2 needs to think about.  
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:07:40 PM by NOLA Fly »

Offline Parkhead080893

• Wanderer
  • In the shadow, boy meets man
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 11:58:06 AM »
I'm sort of watching the brits awards thinking about how stupid the people and the artists are whilst reading a novel seeing a distinct lack of U2 influence. I've heard Chris Martin's name a few times. And even Arcade fire when accepting their award, named almost every band apart from U2.

They need to release an album where people can't help but love it and just 'get it' if you know what I'm saying.

Any opinions?

Arcade Fire were mentioning English artists that have influenced them. They have in the past referenced U2 as a great influence.

Offline Kit

• Wanderer
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »
Eh try find someone in Ireland who will admit to been a u2 fan

Something changed since the Vertigo tour....And i've no idea what

Live 8, the continuous human rights campaigns by Bono, etc etc, neutral people are just fed up of it.....and hence are fed up with U2 because of it.

I live in the UK and all my friends hate U2 and mean 'HATE', mostly because of the above.

It's a shame, I don't agree, but there you have it.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »

Live 8, the continuous human rights campaigns by Bono, etc etc, neutral people are just fed up of it.....and hence are fed up with U2 because of it.

I live in the UK and all my friends hate U2 and mean 'HATE', mostly because of the above.

So your friends hate people who fight for human rights and poverty?  Something's wrong with that.

Offline Kit

• Wanderer
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »

So your friends hate people who fight for human rights and poverty?  Something's wrong with that.

Yeah thats kind of how I see it and why I don't understand their feelings.

Their response is that while they are all for helping out where they can with all sorts of charities (some of them are fund raisers for local charities that are very personal to them) they are fed up with Bono's 'arrogance' and 'self-importance' (as one friend descibed him), especially with global matters; It "puts them off the music".

I don't agree with them, but I do wince sometimes when Bono gets too political, I didn't fall in love with U2 because of their political or human rights stance.

I do what I can, when I can, probably like most of us and we all appreciate where Bono is coming from, but don't be surprised whenever anybody who is looking for a reason to have a pop at Bono does..........he makes himself an easy target.........and to get back on the subject.......that is why I believe that U2 will struggle to be considered as 'relevant' to anybody already not a U2 fan.....because there are too many people who simply do not like them, and will not give them a chance now, mostly because of their feelings towards Bono.

A good example of this is a band who I personally really like and that is The Alarm. Many have likened them to U2 in the past. Their lead singer is Mike Peters, who has recovered from lymphocytic leukaemia on two occasions, co-formed a charity call Love, Hope and Strength and works extremely hard to raise money for this charity, whilst recording and releasing new material with The Alarm (4 full albums since 2006, plus plenty of EP's and live stuff), all done with dignity and a lot of humility.................and my point........(this is a promo for The Alarm, honest), is that all my friends, as discussed above, who hate U2, absolutely love The Alarm and see Mike as an inspirational figure..............musically they are not too far apart, so what makes my friends like one band and dislike the other?

I don't know the answer, but I could make a good guess.

Sorry to bang on about another Band, but at least it makes a change from having the word 'Radiohead' smuggled into every thread................damn, I've done it now as well................oh well. ;)

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 11:33:51 PM »

Their response is that while they are all for helping out where they can with all sorts of charities (some of them are fund raisers for local charities that are very personal to them) they are fed up with Bono's 'arrogance' and 'self-importance' (as one friend descibed him), especially with global matters; It "puts them off the music".

I don't agree with them, but I do wince sometimes when Bono gets too political, I didn't fall in love with U2 because of their political or human rights stance.

I do what I can, when I can, probably like most of us and we all appreciate where Bono is coming from, but don't be surprised whenever anybody who is looking for a reason to have a pop at Bono does..........he makes himself an easy target.........and to get back on the subject.......that is why I believe that U2 will struggle to be considered as 'relevant' to anybody already not a U2 fan.....because there are too many people who simply do not like them, and will not give them a chance now, mostly because of their feelings towards Bono.

A good example of this is a band who I personally really like and that is The Alarm. Many have likened them to U2 in the past. Their lead singer is Mike Peters, who has recovered from lymphocytic leukaemia on two occasions, co-formed a charity call Love, Hope and Strength and works extremely hard to raise money for this charity, whilst recording and releasing new material with The Alarm (4 full albums since 2006, plus plenty of EP's and live stuff), all done with dignity and a lot of humility.................and my point........(this is a promo for The Alarm, honest), is that all my friends, as discussed above, who hate U2, absolutely love The Alarm and see Mike as an inspirational figure..............musically they are not too far apart, so what makes my friends like one band and dislike the other?

Sorry to bang on about another Band, but at least it makes a change from having the word 'Radiohead' smuggled into every thread................damn, I've done it now as well................oh well. ;)

I've been an Alarm supporter for decades. You go right ahead with your Alarm banging.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 12:49:03 AM »

I've been an Alarm supporter for decades. You go right ahead with your Alarm banging.

Me too. I saw what I think was their last show in the U.S. with the original members (as well as a few other times). Mike Peters is SO living on a knife edge.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 05:32:07 AM »
U2 are fighting for mainstream success - the relevance* of that success and the band is dependent on the quality of the material, a balancing act that they once made look effortless has become a seemingly insurmountable hurdle.

IMO long term mainstream success has gone, ATYCLB & the Elevation Tour should of been a nice little victory parade to the charts, they could hold their heads up and say 'look we still can do that, but now we just want to concentrate on the music we want to make' but they wanted more attention, more success, advertisements, bad celebrity collaborations, endless talk shows, huge tours, book deals, re-masters, 3 x Best Ofs that were anything but, and just as they think they can challenge and experiment again while still holding onto it (you've already lost it) the bubble bursts - it's their own fault, it happened before, and no amount of Achtung Babys (even if a record of such quality is still in them) will bring that perfect balance of success and artistic respect back to them.

I'd like them to do a dark, minimalist exploration of Irish roots music (think Seeger Sessions meets The Bad Seeds) but there's no chance of that happening, we've got Spiderman musicals, Danger Mouse, a 'club' album by Willy-I-Am (never make a dance record if you yourself can't dance) and a cookie cutter corporate sponsored 'rock n roll' tour, oh goodie! What respect and admiration will all this garner from their peers and their elders?  They need to let it go, waists are growing and hair is falling, it's a mid-life crisis on a massive scale, forget the kids, forget the radio, don't fight for your relevancy for today, fight for your relevancy for 50 years from now, just kick out the jams.

*v

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:07:22 AM by Bads316 »

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 07:43:55 AM »
There is no such word as relevancy. The word is relevance.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 08:40:51 AM »

So your friends hate people who fight for human rights and poverty?  Something's wrong with that.

Sorry to go a bit off topic but I must agree. I have been an Alarm fan since Mike, Eddie, Dave and Nigel had the "big" teased 80's hair ( which I loved by the way  :D). I've remained a loyal fan to this day. I just saw Mike do an acoustic set  a few years ago and the new line up of the Alarm in a small club setting a few months ago. They have not lost any of their passion or magic. Mike has survived cancer and campaigns tirelessly for the cause along with doing gig after gig with very few breaks. His love for the music and his fans shines through. It is a bit of treat to see him and the band in a small place. Alarm fans are like a family. Mike makes us feel that way. There is nothing that matches that. Of course it is easier to do that because they have not reached popularity that U2 has. But back in the day when I saw both bands, I can tell you they were every bit as talented and amazing as U2. They just took different paths.

My dream is to someday go to  Wales to see Mike's festival type event called the Gathering which benefits his cancer organizations. I can't wait to see Mike when he tours with Big Country. That will be a treat for me.

I think U2  should remember the days they spent with Mike and the Alarm and follow Mike's lead today. He doesn't worry about how relevant he is.      Just do the kind of music you are passionate about and that will shine through.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:42:39 AM by StrongGirl »

Offline Kit

• Wanderer
Re: U2 are fighting to be relevant
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »
I went to the gathering a couple of weeks ago, in Prestatyn. It was absolutely amazing....the first time I have been. I would recomend it to anyone, a weekend of good music with everybody housed in chalets at a holiday camp, which kept everybody together and maintained a brilliant atmosphere, with The Alarm playing back to back evenings.

If you get chance have a listen to The Alarm - Under Attack (2006), great album, as good as anything they have ever done. Great energy, not over produced or 'experimental', just good rock.................if only I could get The Edge to listen to it. ;D

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 06:09:57 PM »
if they seriously want to be relevant they need to release more music. 5 years between albums is too long (along with 4 years before that wasnt it) and it puts way too much pressure on the release. if they pump them out people will find them interesting again as they can say "wow look at all the different stuff u2 are doing".

hopefully an album this year along with a club album will help but they cant stop then, gotta follow it up a year or 2 later....again.

if you wanna be treated like a current band you gotta release music at the rate a current (ie young and new) band would

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2011, 07:03:21 PM »
If Bono could step back and let the music step to the front, that would help the "marketing" of U2. 
I don't have the exact quote, but during the Vertigo tour, Bono said that "People are sick of Bono,
well I'm sick of Bono too".  I think the work that Bono does to help the sick and poor is great,
but the majority of people are cynical by nature and think it is mostly self promotion.   

As others have noted here, U2 needs to shorten the period between albums.  Time is not on
their side, but I believe they have a lot of amazing music left in them.