Author Topic: U2 are fighting to be relevant  (Read 7404 times)

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
Re: U2 are fighting to be relevant
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2011, 07:24:56 PM »
People are tired of Bono because he makes them look at issues in the eyes instead of staring at the sun  ;) This makes some people uncomfortable, so they blow him off and call him "annoying". Others are too uneducated in world issues to know what he's talking about (mostly fellow americans, unfortunately) and they also blow him off as "annoying". However, I think he has a just cause for everything he has done... Anyway, I do acknowledge that he sometimes gets carried away

Offline vertigo 77

• Stateless
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2011, 08:10:49 PM »
U2 are fighting to be revelant or they would've stopped touring a year ago and just made albums. Now its Lady Gaga and Will.I.Am for the masses and a revamp of NLOTH. Just be the artist that you are (?). I just want to hear more of their music--not preached too. I personally don't need Bono to remind me how sick, depraved, uneducated, hungry, and oppressed some people are. If you read non-American and few American press the info is right there. I don't  want to read about their music in one column and be told in the latter what is required from me. I'm at the point in saying STHU already. Now if its a promotion for self or the medium than make it happen for that $--but stopped over-generalizing and assuming the ignorance of others. I understand now what most people have said of U2 all along. I said it before that touring is U2 lifeline because they don't make much from their music so whether this album is make or break is arguable but I bet their will not be album until later in the year because albums circle around concerts mostly. 

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2011, 10:05:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 are fighting to be revelant or they would've stopped touring a year ago and just made albums. Now its Lady Gaga and Will.I.Am for the masses and a revamp of NLOTH. Just be the artist that you are (?). I just want to hear more of their music--not preached too. I personally don't need Bono to remind me how sick, depraved, uneducated, hungry, and oppressed some people are. If you read non-American and few American press the info is right there. I don't  want to read about their music in one column and be told in the latter what is required from me. I'm at the point in saying STHU already. Now if its a promotion for self or the medium than make it happen for that $--but stopped over-generalizing and assuming the ignorance of others. I understand now what most people have said of U2 all along. I said it before that touring is U2 lifeline because they don't make much from their music so whether this album is make or break is arguable but I bet their will not be album until later in the year because albums circle around concerts mostly. 

Bono has always been preachy and he will not stop now after 30 years. I agree with you that the CD would most likely be released later in the year.

U2 has been a strong touring act since early in their careers. Touring saved them back in the early to mid 80s when they were gaining in popularity but didn't have much money. I think this is how they will continue, they are one of the relatively few worldwide popular acts who can get onstage and PLAY LIVE for more than 45 minutes.
Trust me, it is a decreasing skill set in popular music.
After all as they said in the 1990s "Live is where we live"

Offline rich cranium

• Wanderer
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2011, 11:11:24 PM »

Bono has always been preachy and he will not stop now after 30 years. I agree with you that the CD would most likely be released later in the year.

U2 has been a strong touring act since early in their careers. Touring saved them back in the early to mid 80s when they were gaining in popularity but didn't have much money. I think this is how they will continue, they are one of the relatively few worldwide popular acts who can get onstage and PLAY LIVE for more than 45 minutes.

I tell you, they are a dying breed! Most bands play for 45 minutes and they are done!

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2011, 02:43:49 AM »

I tell you, they are a dying breed! Most bands play for 45 minutes and they are done!
u should have seen the tweets from south africa last night  capetown went u2 mad and among the hundreds of of fans going crazy for u2 were the odd jealous radiohead fan lol it summed up everything.. you see it pisses them off that their band does not get the same adoration so they hate u2 all the more

Offline rich cranium

• Wanderer
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2011, 10:21:40 AM »

u should have seen the tweets from south africa last night  capetown went u2 mad and among the hundreds of of fans going crazy for u2 were the odd jealous radiohead fan lol it summed up everything.. you see it pisses them off that their band does not get the same adoration so they hate u2 all the more

Are you referring to me as the 'odd jealous Radiohead fan'? if so, (no flames here) it's cool because I love me some Radiohead. However, I am a lifelong U2 fan! I saw them in Tampa, Florida, USA in the early nineties. It was raining badly and it was in an open stadium. They had to cut power but U2 came back out 15 minutes later and finished the concert acoustic! That, my friend, is a band that doesn't dissapoint! I love U2 and have even introduced 3 people in my life to them when 'With or Without You' came out and they are still fans!

End rant

Smee

Re: U2 are fighting for their lives
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2011, 09:21:28 AM »
No, I really think they are fighting for their lives. They aren't a popular band in Britain. No one openly says they're a U2 fan.

Rubbish.....i m amazed, that if im on Facebook, and i click on someone who isnt a freind, but has posted on a freinds thread....just how many times u2 comes up as a common intrest. Theres plenty of u2 fans in UK

Offline jayb77

• Wanderer
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2011, 01:12:20 PM »
The problem is that U2 have been around for over 30 years non stop and superstars for almost 25 of them years.  Most big groups split after maybe 10 to 15 years then reform later down the line and people think, hey i use to love that group i think i'll go see them again. but with U2 they have always seem to have been there and people do get tired after a while. throw in the fact the Bono can rub people up the wrong way and U2 have and lets be honest folks,  not made a ground breaking classic album since the 90's. Then it's little wonder that the non U2 fans have so much hate for them. but i think if they put out a great album this year and do a storming set at glastonbury. Then they may be able to get back to being important again.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2011, 02:53:17 PM »
No, I really think they are fighting for their lives. They aren't a popular band in Britain. No one openly says they're a U2 fan.

Rubbish.....i m amazed, that if im on Facebook, and i click on someone who isnt a freind, but has posted on a freinds thread....just how many times u2 comes up as a common intrest. Theres plenty of u2 fans in UK

There sure are, and they are gaining more younger fans all the time.

The interesting question is why did they only 4 shows for the whole of the UK on this tour?

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »

U2 are past the age where young people are going to think they are cool,
however many young people respect their music and live shows. 

If U2 wants to continue to be relevant, they just need to be out great,
fresh sounding new music.  That is easier said that done, but I believe
they still have it in them. 

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2011, 10:17:19 PM »
the problem is that they want to be respected AND popular which is a tricky line to try and walk

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2011, 11:12:14 PM »

There sure are, and they are gaining more younger fans all the time.

The interesting question is why did they only 4 shows for the whole of the UK on this tour?

Coz people like you didn't buy tickets?  :P :P :P

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Bass suit, bug shades, moon boogie motorcade
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2011, 12:23:16 PM »
I DO :)

Me too, but i always get hell for it  :-[
I don't know what made it so cool to hate u2... and i don't know how it can be changed  :(

Like alot of people have already said, they (Bono in particular) are trying to hard, remember when Bono used to be funny and relaxed, and joke around with interviewers, and say things like "well continue to f**k up the mainstream", "its about the art", we do what we want to do regardless of sales" and "we may lose some of the pop kids but who need em" ...since the 00s he seems to be trying way to hard to be...nice. Its not age either its art, your either honest with yourself and everyone else like he was for 20 years before the 00s or your not like for some reason, since the 00s, hes mr nice guy singing nice songs with nice easy to understand lyrics (cringworthy lyrics sometimes)...I dont know why but that seems to be the situation to me.