Author Topic: So, who is all going to Barcelona ?  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Parkhead080893

• Wanderer
  • In the shadow, boy meets man
So, who is all going to Barcelona ?
« on: February 04, 2009, 03:34:56 PM »
So, providing the rumours are true that Barcelona will be the opening gig, is there anyone else planning on going ? I'm thinking of booking flights now !

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: So, who is all going to Barcelona ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 04:18:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So, providing the rumours are true that Barcelona will be the opening gig, is there anyone else planning on going ? I'm thinking of booking flights now !

I'm from Barcelona and no, I won't go, IN 2005 there were an awful lot of people and a humongous amount of speculation that the promoter kept several hundreds of tickets to sell on Ebay... Besides, the band is not that good live anymore. I was at the Elevation gig and, I'd exaggerate if I say I got bored but, really, i wasn't expecting a Greatest Hits gig. And that was a greatest hits gig...

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 04:40:29 PM »

I'm from Barcelona and no, I won't go, IN 2005 there were an awful lot of people and a humongous amount of speculation that the promoter kept several hundreds of tickets to sell on Ebay... Besides, the band is not that good live anymore. I was at the Elevation gig and, I'd exaggerate if I say I got bored but, really, i wasn't expecting a Greatest Hits gig. And that was a greatest hits gig...

Are you kidding Lesmo? What do you expect from a U2 gig. It to last 45 minutes and for them to only play the songs from a new album? Get real. On any tour they play new songs from the just released album (the ones they can play live and the ones that fit into the running order of the show) and then the rest of the show is a mix of songs from the other albums, they have to do this. The definition of a gretatest hits tour, is to continuously tour just for the sake of it (not releasing any albums) and play nothing but your back catalogue.

Also, a new U2 tour may start in your home city, and you wont go?

Wow! Im shocked  :-\

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:53:53 PM »
Wow Lesmo, wanna trade places?  :-\ I would be dying if they started the tour in my home city.

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 05:33:01 PM »

Are you kidding Lesmo? What do you expect from a U2 gig. It to last 45 minutes and for them to only play the songs from a new album? Get real. On any tour they play new songs from the just released album (the ones they can play live and the ones that fit into the running order of the show) and then the rest of the show is a mix of songs from the other albums, they have to do this. The definition of a gretatest hits tour, is to continuously tour just for the sake of it (not releasing any albums) and play nothing but your back catalogue.

Also, a new U2 tour may start in your home city, and you wont go?

Wow! Im shocked  :-\

Check out The Cure's last two world tours (2000 and 2008) and you'll know what I'm talking about. :)

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 05:41:34 PM »
U2 did nothing different last tour than they had done with virtually any other tour in their career from a set list point of view.  ???

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 03:13:26 AM »
U2 did nothing different last tour than they had done with virtually any other tour in their career from a set list point of view.  ???

Thaaaaaaaaat's why. Cure's set in 200 was all non-singles, except from "in Between Days". They played for three hours with no hits but songs that the fans could immediately recognize (Shake Dog Shake, Trust, Faith, M, The Kiss, Open, Want and sooooo on).

In 2008 they played a lot of singles but some of the songs were neither singles or they didn't play or a long time or songs they hardly play live (Wrong Number, End of the World, alt.end, Catch, The Walk, Primary, The Lovecats, JUmping Someone else's train, Grinding Halt, TO wish Impossible things, the Blood or Kyoto Song).

Of course they always play "A forest" and "In between Days" and "From the Edge of the deep green sea" and they always play new songs but that what U2 lacks. To make a gig playing Surrender, The Unforgettable Fire, Exit, mothers of the dissappeared, God part 2, Love Comes tumbling, A sort of Homecoming, Love is Blindess, Numb, Zooropa, Lemon, Some days, the Wanderer, most songs in the Pop album and even some b-sides (Cure used to play them and they also premièred several songs prior to their release this year). It lacks the surprise.

I was emotioned to hear "Stay" during the elevation gig because to me that was not expected. But I was expecting the rest of the gig (Yes, they also played "Spanish eyes" which sounded awful and it seemd to me like a cheap way of getting the fans' approval or affection)...

And when I hear their songs played in recent tours, they sound boring... It's like the Stones, like Bruce...

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 04:48:52 AM »
C'mon, no punches for me on this one??? I may change my nick, then..

Hello, I'm Jick and I hate Pop! (Punch me, punch me, punch me!!!1)

Offline Parkhead080893

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:17:13 AM »
They wouldn't get away with playing non singles on a tour. U2 are commercially in a different league to the cure. The facts remain that out if a crowd if 50,000 there is probably 40k of them wanting to hear the classics.

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 06:38:16 AM »
They wouldn't get away with playing non singles on a tour. U2 are commercially in a different league to the cure. The facts remain that out if a crowd if 50,000 there is probably 40k of them wanting to hear the classics.

That's what I said: they're like the stones or Bruce or COldplay... and that's pretty mediocre..

Offline Parkhead080893

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 07:33:15 AM »
In fairness, they have played lesser known tracks on the last 2 tours. 3 tracks from boy on the vertigo tour and again on elevation.

mariamontreal

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 07:58:03 AM »
If someone is  nice enough to fly me there , I'll go !

Offline hernandezhennessey

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 08:06:08 AM »
The thread was about whether or not we were planning to go to Barcelona to see the first concert.

I, myself, Am planning to go to Spain and study this year. I have family there so it may be fairly easy for me to be there. And also I might try and catch one of the Dublin Shows as well... So if anyone wants to start planning, Im up to meet some fans from different countries......

Now. On the "other" topic of this thread..... I agree that it would be so cool to have an alternate playlist for U2 concerts, maybe getting some gems like 2 hearts, or Acrobat, or God Part II, or Wire, or Indian Summer Sky. But we have to keep in mind that they make their shows mainly for the  general public. If you were to give that sort of playlist to that general public, then they would probably feel ripped off. And lets be honest, No matter how many times I have heard Streets, It always gives me goosebumps......

I think the playlist in the Vertigo tour was a fairly good mix. In my concert (Second Miami show Nov 05) they played Electric Co, I will Follow, MIss Sarajevo, a great acoustic version of Walk On (Which I did not expect) AND they closed the concert with BAD...... At the same time they also played 6 songs from the new album. and a mix from other albums. The concert was 2 and a half hours long... So Anyway you look at it it was a great great experience.......

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 08:30:44 AM »
Opening gigs have always been nothing special.  U2 are still working out the kinks and nothing is in full force yet.  Sure its nice because of the anticipation and buildup, but when you look at it objectively, it's really nothing great.

Cheers,

J

Offline U2#1-War

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 08:42:36 AM »
Jick i have to agree with you, i saw the opening act of the Elevation tour and i wish i would not have.... i always wait now till the 2ng leg to go watch. at least by then they are on time and the music is 10 times better