Poll

Least Favorite Member of U2

Bono
The Edge
Larry Mullen Jr.
Adam Clayton

Author Topic: Poll: Least Favorite Band Member  (Read 18724 times)

An Cat Dubh

Re: Poll: Least Favorite Band Member
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2011, 03:16:56 PM »
My gosh. This is why still, to this point, i have not voted in this poll.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »
I can't read sarcasm on the phone app. :) Sorry for misunderstanding, Zoost. I wasn't that mad. Just annoyed. But I'm okay now!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2011, 03:24:08 PM »
Oh Emm Jee, this is the Hardest. Poll. Ever!

Like, I can't vote Bono b/c he's so hot, but then, Larry is super cute 2. Edge just rox my world, and Adam is such a silver fox!

< /sarcasm >

PS - Where's the U2 forum for adults again?

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
well it asked for my least favorite, and I supplied my answer with reasoning!  ::)

I'm sorry if I offended any Adam fans, he's just far less talented then Bono, Edge and Larry. I know other bass players, and they would agree that Adam is an OK bassist, but nowhere near other famous ones.

the Jonas Brothers comment was a little harsh though.  :P

Apology accepted  :)

However, are you talking musicianship here when you talk about talent? If so, Adam has more talent in his little toe than Bono has ever had. Bono is good at being the face and voice of the band (some will I'm sure disagree) but as a front man, he is right up there with the best of them. However, he has no musical talent, Edge eats him for breakfast at guitar playing, and Larry would make a better drummer than Bono even if he had no arms.

Just about spit out my drink right there, LOL!

Okay, so tongue and cheek or not, I'm going to take the opportunity to point out Bono's musicality, cause it's the sort of thing I like to do. Although he has his off days as a singer, he has done amazing things with his voice over his 30 year career, and shows no signs of decline in his ability to surprise us with incredible vocal performances. He started off not being able to sing at all, and went from that to - well, I'm not even going to start listing off songs, because I'd get carried away. It's not just that he sings notes that are hard - it's his ability to put emotional expression into them (which means more than just adding vibrato, contrary to what some artists seem to think!) So, although Bono is clearly quite hopeless as an instrumentalist, that kind of singing counts as a musical talent in my book! Plus, and surprisingly, considering his limitations on guitar and everything else, he seems to have a pretty amazing musical instinct, something I've started to pick up on watching clips or listening to bootlegs of U2 in the studio, and noticing how often Bono calls out what the next chord should be or what the mood should be. And there's a quote somewhere from Niel McCormick of how in there earliest rehearsals, Bono was running around the room almost as if he was trying to coax the sound out of the others that he could hear in his head. (Of course, he may also be a culprit in the band's tendency to OVER-work certain songs...but I digress...)

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2011, 03:44:32 PM »
well it asked for my least favorite, and I supplied my answer with reasoning!  ::)

I'm sorry if I offended any Adam fans, he's just far less talented then Bono, Edge and Larry. I know other bass players, and they would agree that Adam is an OK bassist, but nowhere near other famous ones.

However, are you talking musicianship here when you talk about talent? If so, Adam has more talent in his little toe than Bono has ever had. Bono is good at being the face and voice of the band (some will I'm sure disagree) but as a front man, he is right up there with the best of them. However, he has no musical talent, Edge eats him for breakfast at guitar playing, and Larry would make a better drummer than Bono even if he had no arms.

Okay, so tongue and cheek or not, I'm going to take the opportunity to point out Bono's musicality, cause it's the sort of thing I like to do. Although he has his off days as a singer, he has done amazing things with his voice over his 30 year career, and shows no signs of decline in his ability to surprise us with incredible vocal performances. He started off not being able to sing at all, and went from that to - well, I'm not even going to start listing off songs, because I'd get carried away. It's not just that he sings notes that are hard - it's his ability to put emotional expression into them (which means more than just adding vibrato, contrary to what some artists seem to think!) So, although Bono is clearly quite hopeless as an instrumentalist, that kind of singing counts as a musical talent in my book! Plus, and surprisingly, considering his limitations on guitar and everything else, he seems to have a pretty amazing musical instinct, something I've started to pick up on watching clips or listening to bootlegs of U2 in the studio, and noticing how often Bono calls out what the next chord should be or what the mood should be. And there's a quote somewhere from Niel McCormick of how in there earliest rehearsals, Bono was running around the room almost as if he was trying to coax the sound out of the others that he could hear in his head. (Of course, he may also be a culprit in the band's tendency to OVER-work certain songs...but I digress...)

Agree with all the above.

I just go and watch/listen to any bootleg I have from 1978-1983 to watch the 'young' Bono at work. Absolutely brilliant front man. His enthusiasm and stage presence, are, like Larry's level head, Adams drive in promoting the early U2 and of courses Edges' guitar sounds, what got U2 to where they are today. Truly a real 'band', one we shall not see the likes of again I fear.

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2011, 04:03:43 PM »

Agree with all the above.

I just go and watch/listen to any bootleg I have from 1978-1983 to watch the 'young' Bono at work. Absolutely brilliant front man. His enthusiasm and stage presence, are, like Larry's level head, Adams drive in promoting the early U2 and of courses Edges' guitar sounds, what got U2 to where they are today. Truly a real 'band', one we shall not see the likes of again I fear.

Yeah...they really are. I often think about how cool it is that they all basically learned to play together, and how you can see that in the way their on-stage communication seems almost telepathic at times (my favourite example is the transition from I Threw A Brick to A Day Without Me on Live at Red Rocks...it never fails to astound me!).

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2011, 04:21:33 PM »
I want a bootleg of that very first jam session they had in Larry's kitchen.

Then we will all, yes ALL of us on this forum be in agreement about something,  that a baby band brought together with musicians who could not play instruments, knew nothing of the music business, yet turned into the biggest and one of the most successful bands in history. Their progression, growth and maturation can not be compared to any other band. Yes, even Radiohead, my second favorite band can not hold a torch to the life of U2. And you know what, it would not have been possible without Larry, Bono, Adam or The Edge.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »
I want a bootleg of that very first jam session they had in Larry's kitchen.

Then we will all, yes ALL of us on this forum be in agreement about something,  that a baby band brought together with musicians who could not play instruments, knew nothing of the music business, yet turned into the biggest and one of the most successful bands in history. Their progression, growth and maturation can not be compared to any other band. Yes, even Radiohead, my second favorite band can not hold a torch to the life of U2. And you know what, it would not have been possible without Larry, Bono, Adam or The Edge.

Yes. They are proof that you can do anything you want if you really want it bad enough. It's inspiration for me... as a girl who always lets her dreams of being a novelist die from fear....

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
....I think I just set off a huge argument I really didn't want... :P

ALL 4 MEMBERS OF U2 ARE GREAT.  ;D

(but Bono is the best.  ;) )

Boom Cha!

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »
(but Bono is the best.  ;) )

Well...I don't know about that statement.  :P

satellitedog01

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2011, 03:29:01 AM »
He used to be the best... some time in the '90s.

Offline yellowhat

• Numb
  • Between the horses..........literally.
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2011, 08:05:14 AM »
Well,I have to go for Larry here. I know he's a super great guy and one heck of a drummer,but he just does not ring any of my bells. And Adam looks too much like my dad (who is also a bass player in a band)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2011, 08:29:33 AM »
Yeah, I voted for Larry for basically the same reasons as Droo stated...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2011, 09:47:40 AM »
Why don't people like Adam?  Is it 'cos he's English? >:(

Boom Cha!

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2011, 12:37:56 PM »
Why don't people like Adam?  Is it 'cos he's English? >:(

I always thought he was the most likable of the bunch. Guess not.