Author Topic: The u2.com petition is here; The Fanclub is a Cannibal - u2.com, fans need more  (Read 18014 times)

Offline Utwoed

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Being ridiculous is something I hold dear
If you do a search on U2 Fan Club Petition you'll see articles about it on various radio station websites around the U.S. and Canada, blogs, and other artists forums.  I particularly like this one at Pearl Jams fan club You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sandc

• Babyface
Ironic how U2 is defending Duals, yet they have yet to mail it out even though we were all told January back last year!

Offline Oswaldo

• Stranger in a Strange Land
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

See what happens when Hitler knows about the gift.

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...

LOL. That is *SO* wrong but SO funny! And it is really kind of how I feel!

Offline sw

• Running to Stand Still
  • At the home office it's always March 2010.
Ironic how U2 is defending Duals, yet they have yet to mail it out even though we were all told January back last year!

OMG that's true!
Not that I'm particularly anxious to receive my CD.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!

This was hilarious!
The highlight for me has to be
"Someone tell them u2 has a musical because i'm sure they don't know it yet!"
It made me laugh so hard  :D
Also, hitler complaining about the u2.com forums being to authoritarian... genius!!!!

Offline Voxare

• Numb

Lmao - that's great!
"maybe they'll post an apology as mediocre and heartfelt as Charlie Sheen's sanity"...

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
I was pretty disappointed with the web team's response to this actually.  Can't say I'm too surprised, because it's part of the established pattern of doing business with the fan community that we are petitioning to change.  On the one hand, I can see the argument that people worked hard on Duals, but as so many have said before on this thread, if I'm paying U2.com (and in doing so, inherently paying Live Nation) $40 a year to gain a feeling of exclusivity of knowledge, community, merchandise, ticketing, etc. etc. etc., I get more of all of those feelings and materials by simply attending a concert and not taking part in the fan club.  The response coming from the web team just felt pithy to me, and that's not part of the range of feelings I want to get from something associated with my favorite band.  If U2 had to go and dream it all up again ... chop down the Joshua Tree ... in order to better itself for the benefit of its fans, I think Live Nation and the web team should take a cue from these men.  Every night they're on stage, Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry exert every effort they have to get closer to us - to make us feel like we have that personal connection.  That effort should extend to us from the web team as well on behalf of the boys. 

I will say that the live stream from Cape Town did impress me, and was the sole factor that made me reverse my decision to not renew my membership.  But then again (and correct me if I'm wrong), it was open to the general fan community.  But, instead of being offended by what was mentioned, the web team needs to do as it as said it will, and take a serious look at the issues at hand.  The reason I signed this, is because I can't get a better experience from the website if I don't indicate that it doesn't meet my needs / wants / desires.  So thanks to all for making this available so that hopefully we can get one step closer to somewhere.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
I was pretty disappointed with the web team's response to this actually.  Can't say I'm too surprised, because it's part of the established pattern of doing business with the fan community that we are petitioning to change.  On the one hand, I can see the argument that people worked hard on Duals, but as so many have said before on this thread, if I'm paying U2.com (and in doing so, inherently paying Live Nation) $40 a year to gain a feeling of exclusivity of knowledge, community, merchandise, ticketing, etc. etc. etc., I get more of all of those feelings and materials by simply attending a concert and not taking part in the fan club.  The response coming from the web team just felt pithy to me, and that's not part of the range of feelings I want to get from something associated with my favorite band.  If U2 had to go and dream it all up again ... chop down the Joshua Tree ... in order to better itself for the benefit of its fans, I think Live Nation and the web team should take a cue from these men.  Every night they're on stage, Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry exert every effort they have to get closer to us - to make us feel like we have that personal connection.  That effort should extend to us from the web team as well on behalf of the boys. 

I will say that the live stream from Cape Town did impress me, and was the sole factor that made me reverse my decision to not renew my membership.  But then again (and correct me if I'm wrong), it was open to the general fan community.  But, instead of being offended by what was mentioned, the web team needs to do as it as said it will, and take a serious look at the issues at hand.  The reason I signed this, is because I can't get a better experience from the website if I don't indicate that it doesn't meet my needs / wants / desires.  So thanks to all for making this available so that hopefully we can get one step closer to somewhere.

U2.com piggy-backed on someone else streaming the show; it wasn't something they would have done on their own. I listened to it live via a South African radio station on the net because there's no way I'd pay for membership to what was once an excellent fan club but now has turned to garbage when technological advances should have meant that the opposite is true. Once again, U2.com presented the illusion of giving you something exclusive when in fact it was not.

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance

OMG!  That was the funniest thing I've seen in a while.  The bit about the "glorified mix tape" was priceless!

Offline Voxare

• Numb

Have to agree wholeheartedly with this - the boys go to so much effort to involve the audience and connect with them at the concerts - I was especially impresssed by how much Bono pushed it physically when he was in Oz given his recent injury (i.e. swinging out into the crowd on the circle mike, climbing all over the bridges etc.) but that's because they want to have a connection with the fans, give them a great show...and they do all that and the people running their fanclub do the exact opposite.
I know there are a lot of people saying 'don't complain - if you don't liek just don't pay' and yes - I get your point - but I want the forums to be awesome, for me, fo all the other fans out there, for the band so that their fans are happy and feel like they have a better connection with them, but also for the new fans and future fans. Because, yes, the boys will do everything they can to connect with the fans at a show but fans have to get there first. And for me personally when  I first started getting into the band, I live in Australia so there wasn't much opportunity to see tehm live and I had never been to a live concert so didn't really know about that kind of stuff anyway - but I loved their music and I found my way to their official website where I met so many great people and had so much fun that it fuelled my love of the band and led to me finally getting to see my first show during the Vertigo tour. Now I am planning a trip to follow them around North America and see multiple shows. And yes - if the website keeps going down the drain and everyone leaves I will be sad but it will have no effect on how I feel about the band and the fact that I will keep buying their music and keep going to their shows - but there are new fans out there who might never find out how amazing this band really is and how great they can be live because they don't have that first contact with them and their fanbase that I had.

Maybe that is a bit of a rambling post but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in :)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
I've been contacted by an anonymous journalist who wants to write an article about the petition, and asked for some basic info on it. I hope you guys don't mind that i responded to them, but i didn't give out anything that isn't known already. And, i'll post the back and forth here:

Them:
"Perfect! Thanks.  I did contact two of the people who supposedly were fore front with the petition but the one guy didn't feel comfortable doing it.

1. Was it Duals or was it overall dissatisfaction with the site that made you decide enough was enough and something had to be done?

2. Do you think U2 should make their site a little more interactive for the fans since they pay so much money to subscribe?

3. Live Nation seems to be the one that people are blaming this problem on.  What do you want to see get done?

4.  Now that U2.com has officially answered the petition, what do you think is the next step?"

Me:
"No problem! So, who are you writing this piece for?

Here are my answers, anything else you need, let me know:
1: It was Duals, but that was the latest in a long line of problems. Once we saw the track listing, and added it to the list of problems everyone had, a group of us decided that u2.com had gone on like this for too long, and had gone too far.

2: Can you define interactive? I suppose if you mean competitions, prizes, interactions with the band itself, yes that stuff would be great. It would certainly help justify the steep price. We believe that either more benefits should be added, or the price should be lowered.

3: Well, other people will know more about ownership than me, but it seems that when Live Nation took control of u2.com a few years ago, Bono promised that it would bring the fans and the band closer together. Since then, service has gotten worse, and the band is certainly no more connected to their fan-base. In fact, many feel alienated.
What we want is for u2.com to fix the problems brought up in the petition, to add things such as better customer service, and better benefits - for example, it couldn't be too hard for a band member or someone in contact with a band member to answer questions sent from u2.com members every month. That would certainly help fans feel closer to and more acknowledged by the band. Genuinely exclusive CDs would be great too.

4: That's a good question. We certainly feel the need to continue with this protest, because u2.com's response has only been that they acknowledged our problems, not that they would be fixed. So, until we see results, we will continue. The problem is, i'm sure many people will be satisfied with the response, and assume that things will get fixed. But given u2.com's track record, it seems more likely they'll just sweep it under the rug, so we might need to take more drastic measures. Some people have favoured the idea of a boycott, for example.

I hope you don't mind, but i think i'm going to post this on the petition thread - this protest is democratic, and everyone involved is informed of everything that happens, including messages to and from those asking about the movement."

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
Good responses.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
hey jamie,

that was me that didnt feel comfortable. to be honest i thought it was going to be a bit more personal questions about motivations for getting in on starting the petition and as i said to her my motivations are complex yet pretty uninteresting (a series of unremarkable events). looking at it the questions it wouldnt have been too bad. just as well though as i couldnt have answered it as well as you did.

something everyone shouldn't forget that the petition is actually addressed principle management and hopefully the band themselves. as i understand we werent ever really aiming to send this to u2.com particularly as we all expected not much more than lip service without someone nice and high up (thinking the big 5) getting in and kicking heads. so then whether or not u2.com makes a statement isnt really a hugely significant milestone of the petition. significant action from them maybe would be something to think about if it happened but i dont think we expected them to fix it themselves and are going over their heads accordingly.

if they get wind of it (as they have) and go and fix it all then that would be something noteworthy.

Offline thelastrockstar

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Hey guys,
As of now this is just for my class, no big deal.  This issue is pretty important to me so that's why I was thinking about attempting to pitch it somewhere else.  I actually was going to ask everyone for their opinion.  It's honestly up to everyone who talks to me whether I pitch it or not.  I wouldn't want to publish something people don't feel comfortable with.  If there's anything anyone wants to add or wants to talk to me please feel free to message me.  I really would love for someone who subscribed to Propaganda and is now a U2.com member to sort of compare the two.  I'm a younger fan and I do own the Propaganda book but other than that I don't know everything about it.   Thanks!
-Adge