Author Topic: The u2.com petition is here; The Fanclub is a Cannibal - u2.com, fans need more  (Read 18029 times)

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Another website, CMU, has picked up on the story.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline linasd

• Up With the Sun
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJ72g6fMyw
Some might say that not paying $50 a year would be a better move, but those people are not true U2 fans. Poor Bono might starve without that extra fanclub money in his pocket.

Love it. :D

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
thelastrockstar - Thanks for being so considerate. I'm sure no one here will have a problem with you publishing this story  :)
soapit, you're completely right, u2.com itself acknowledging this isn't really a victory, and it's unlikely to change anything. But as you said, we'll aim to be heard by those in power. I guess the best thing we can aim for is for the band to catch wind of this. Once the number of signatures dies down, we need to start sending the petition to people en masse.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
yep youre right jamie i think we're still getting about 50-100 a day at the moment so maybe it'll slow by next week.

i'll be on holiday then so i might go missing a bit (i just enjoy telling people i'll be on holiday really)

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
yep youre right jamie i think we're still getting about 50-100 a day at the moment so maybe it'll slow by next week.

i'll be on holiday then so i might go missing a bit (i just enjoy telling people i'll be on holiday really)

:D Good for you dude!
Where are you going?

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone

Where are you going?

japan! going skiing for a few days then a few days in tokyo and nikko. wish i was there now.

Offline Voxare

• Numb
Almost at 1500 signatures! Seriously - that's gotta mean something to the people running the site - that's a lot of discontent!

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace

Where are you going?

japan! going skiing for a few days then a few days in tokyo and nikko. wish i was there now.

Nice! Have you ever been before? I'm planning to go with friends over the summer, if i have enough money by then  :P

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
yeah been to japan before but not to any of the places we're going this time plus also havent ski there so will be pretty new stuff.

i loved it though, such a good place to travel. the food is just great

just cracked 1500!!,

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:19:12 PM by soapit »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
Sounds good man, i've heard nothing but good things about Japan... especially about the food!  :D
Also, back on topic: Yay! Looks like the numbers are continuing to rise, even if not as quickly as with that first 'burst'.

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
I was pretty disappointed with the web team's response to this actually.  Can't say I'm too surprised, because it's part of the established pattern of doing business with the fan community that we are petitioning to change.  On the one hand, I can see the argument that people worked hard on Duals, but as so many have said before on this thread, if I'm paying U2.com (and in doing so, inherently paying Live Nation) $40 a year to gain a feeling of exclusivity of knowledge, community, merchandise, ticketing, etc. etc. etc., I get more of all of those feelings and materials by simply attending a concert and not taking part in the fan club.  The response coming from the web team just felt pithy to me, and that's not part of the range of feelings I want to get from something associated with my favorite band.  If U2 had to go and dream it all up again ... chop down the Joshua Tree ... in order to better itself for the benefit of its fans, I think Live Nation and the web team should take a cue from these men.  Every night they're on stage, Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry exert every effort they have to get closer to us - to make us feel like we have that personal connection.  That effort should extend to us from the web team as well on behalf of the boys. 

I will say that the live stream from Cape Town did impress me, and was the sole factor that made me reverse my decision to not renew my membership.  But then again (and correct me if I'm wrong), it was open to the general fan community.  But, instead of being offended by what was mentioned, the web team needs to do as it as said it will, and take a serious look at the issues at hand.  The reason I signed this, is because I can't get a better experience from the website if I don't indicate that it doesn't meet my needs / wants / desires.  So thanks to all for making this available so that hopefully we can get one step closer to somewhere.

U2.com piggy-backed on someone else streaming the show; it wasn't something they would have done on their own. I listened to it live via a South African radio station on the net because there's no way I'd pay for membership to what was once an excellent fan club but now has turned to garbage when technological advances should have meant that the opposite is true. Once again, U2.com presented the illusion of giving you something exclusive when in fact it was not.

You're killing me Joe.  But again, it only further reiterates the point - the sense of exclusivity and having a 'special connection' to the band because we pay $50/year to get that isn't being met on LiveNation's end.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
was thinking for me it comes down to,

the band works their ar*e off for the money they get from us for album sales

they work their ar*e off for the money they get from concert sales

but the money they get from the website seems to be seen as free money for them and anything they give us for it is a bonus for us. certainly they dont have to do a hugely significant amount of extra work in organising the pre sales as this would be done as by the section organising the tour.

perhaps they need to cull a few people over there, how many salaries are funded by our fees i wonder.

streetmission

yeah been to japan before but not to any of the places we're going this time plus also havent ski there so will be pretty new stuff.

i loved it though, such a good place to travel. the food is just great

just cracked 1500!!,

We're now at 1575.  So in the past 3 and a half days or so we've gotten 75.  It's slowing down now.  In fact, within the past 24 hours I only count 5 signatures.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
Well noted, it seems we've gotten all the signatures we're gonna get.
So, what's the next step, everyone?

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
well, its gotta be send it out, i think send it to a few people but also we send copies addressed to the big 5 (can you mark it soething, personal confidential might not be quite right) as i think then it technically has to be opened by them or their pa or something.

not sure though. what addresses do we have?